Link in scotland

Hitdaball

Visit site
Oh really?

We have a lot on during the winter.

Portmarnock Winter Series is a big one, it is 55 euro to play but you get a lot of touring pros playing in it.

Then the likes of Seapoint, Port Salon, Enniscrone, North West all have weekly opens for around the 30 euro mark.
That reminds me to book myself in for the Portmarnock winter series this year 👍🏻

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are good links courses to play during the winter months no more than an hour from glasgow and have some cheap rates too all suggestions welcome
Hi Chris, Gailes Links have a £200 winter 4 ball deal , though teeing off after 1.30 could be a problem. Maybe worth giving them a call if you intend playing midweek, they might be flexible (y). Barassie worth giving calling too.
We had a forum meet at the Gailes a few years ago, the price and the course were great but the weather was horrendous, imagine the old preacher guy from the Caddyshack movie multiplied by 24 lol.
Have a look at Winterfield GC in Dunbar, they did run open comps throughout the winter, Craigielaw gc links also worth a look.
Check out Golf Scotland on Facebook and join, they're based in Bathgate, they run lots of comps in Scotland throughout the year at top notch courses, great value for money.
Have you passed your test yet ?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye the 1.30 tee could be tricky, I'll look into your suggestions thanks mate, I'm wanting to play barassie and will definitely get there soon and wg at some point,
Not yet failed my theory, I resit it tomorrow so heres hoping

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if Dundonald still do the winter £160 4 ball offer? If so its great value.
Sure there will be a few available in that price range.
Dunno if Fabian (Farneyman) is still at Prestwick St. Nicholas but that was decent when I played it years ago in winter.

Not got time to play anymore as young family and other committments/boys football take up time. From what I hear course is still in great nick. Was always decent all year round.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Irvine Bogside I'm not a fan of, others may be, so I'll let the OP make up his own mind.
Shows how opinions vary, I've only played it the once but though it a very decent track for the money. No idea what it's like in winter though

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aye the 1.30 tee could be tricky, I'll look into your suggestions thanks mate, I'm wanting to play barassie and will definitely get there soon and wg at some point,
Not yet failed my theory, I resit it tomorrow so heres hoping
Prestwick St Nicks £120 4 ball, West Kilbride GC November winter deal £30 pp, As Jacko said maybe shorter course with mats or drop in semi [ where you'll probably be anyway lol ] I was amazed how they managed to fit in the 9 holes out and 9 holes in within a 50 /60 yard space.
We enjoyed playing there back in the summer of 82ish , sitting outside in shirt sleeves after our 36 holes, drinking watching the sunset around 10pm. those were the days my friend , sounds familiar lol

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always enjoy a round at Playsport Chris. 9 hole but tricky and fun range of holes. Built on sand so always full fairways and greens.

Itison do a voucher for £12 which includes 9 holes, roll and coffee and 60 range balls. Upgrade to 18 holes for an extra £5.

Cheap as chips and lots of fun.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shows how opinions vary, I've only played it the once but though it a very decent track for the money. No idea what it's like in winter though

I really like Bogside. It’s really funky and can see why others might not like it. They are on winter mats now.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I really like Bogside. It’s really funky and can see why others might not like it. They are on winter mats now.

Greens are usually excellent at Bogside. I find holes 3, 4, 5 & 6 are utterly dreadful. It then goes into a stretch of boring par 4 after boring par 4 before finishing with two utterly dreadful holes.

Only my opinion of course.

And I'll argue all day long it's not a links either!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What are good links courses to play during the winter months no more than an hour from glasgow and have some cheap rates too all suggestions welcome

I've banged this drum before, but get yourself to Kinghorn. It's just outside the 60 min radius, but not by much. I've done it in 64 mins, leaving Charing X at 1645... so if you get a good run on a weekend morning, it's not far at all.

It's a great wee elevated links above the beach. Par 66 and it can play short, even at that, but great fun. Lot of quirky wee holes. Old Tom Morris designed. Not as many blind holes as others of that era. But there's at least 2 (2 & 18) you need to have played a few times to get the lines.

Think they might charge you a tenner at this time of year. Unbelievable value. By far my favourite 'cheap' course I've ever played..

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Chris another good day out is Millport think it's £15 at this time if year. It's not links but it's a nice wee track, great views!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Greens are usually excellent at Bogside. I find holes 3, 4, 5 & 6 are utterly dreadful. It then goes into a stretch of boring par 4 after boring par 4 before finishing with two utterly dreadful holes.

Only my opinion of course.

And I'll argue all day long it's not a links either!
Ofty Bogside isnt dreadfull or boring. For medal golf its tough. Me a love that toughness every hole has its quirky bit. Me i cnever broke 80 in a medal round 3 x 80 ma best. But playin myself aye ive had 76 77. Opinions vary and thats why ive replied👍.