Line of putt ?

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm about 80% sure I can't do this but can anyone confirm this?

When I eye up a line of putt and pick a point that referance from ball to hole can I then place my putter on a specific point between the hole and the ball and use this to line my body up in the correct line ?

Any ideas ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
16-1. General

a. Touching Line of Putt

The line of putt must not be touched except:
(i) the player may remove provided he does not press anything down;
(ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing the ball, provided he does not press anything down;
(iii) in measuring –
(iv) in lifting or replacing the ball
(v) in pressing down a ball-marker;
(vi) in repairing old plugs or ball marks on the putting green and
(vii) in removing movable obstructions.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You can touch the line off the putt for the reasons given by Rulefan. Many golfers place there putter in front of the ball for alignment then move behind, settle and then putt. The danger in doing it further from the ball is the accusation of pressing something down. I believe you can't touch the line of a putt to indicate to a playing partner a line for them to putt on.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
16-1. General

a. Touching Line of Putt

The line of putt must not be touched except:
(i) the player may remove loose impediments provided he does not press anything down;
(ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing the ball, provided he does not press anything down;
(iii) in measuring –
(iv) in lifting or replacing the ball
(v) in pressing down a ball-marker;
(vi) in repairing old plugs or ball marks on the putting green and
(vii) in removing movable obstructions.

someone stole your loose impediments :)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You can touch the line off the putt for the reasons given by Rulefan. Many golfers place there putter in front of the ball for alignment then move behind, settle and then putt. The danger in doing it further from the ball is the accusation of pressing something down. I believe you can't touch the line of a putt to indicate to a playing partner a line for them to putt on.

worth noting you can point to the the spot and be very close but not touching the actual ground