Lie angle adjustments

JoshuaSouber

Hacker
Visit site
Evening all,

My query relates to people's idea on lie angles getting adjusted.

I take lessons and work hard to check my alignment and fundamentals. I've never been custom fit for my irons.

My regular ball flight is pull and sometimes pull hook. Funnily enough that was a draw, but on reflection, my alignment was awful. As was my consistency. I believe that my alignment was a result of seeing where the ball was going and adjusting to sort it. Using a fault to fix Another fault.

I am reluctant to get new clubs if my swing is flawed, but I feel my swing is in a pretty good consistent place and my club is quite upright.

Have people had experienced of having lie adjustments and seeing significant improvements in ball flight control?

I understand why the ball would go left of the toe is up and right for down.

G

guest100718

no, it doesnt really make that big a difference. A poor swing path will always be exactly that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Proper Lie angle adjustment is only required to ensure that you are making optimal contact with all clubs for your current swing! It shouldn't be being used to adjust shape!

A static check will confirm what the setup of each club is compared to 'standard'. A dynamic check, using a lie board & tape, or equivalent, will ensure that each club is making optimal contact at impact.

And adjustment certainly meant contact/strike was much better and more consistent across clubs - though it didn't change flight characteristics. It didn't prevent a bad swing producing bad results though!

JoshuaSouber

Hacker
Visit site
Playing devils advocate, I would have to disagree.

My point is that whilst a swing fault is a swing fault, a slight in to out path could still be pulled, if the face is closed, either by grip or plane, or possible incorrect lie angle.

If someone is swinging with an in to out path, but the lie angle is 4 degrees upright, the ball is going left, or could.

Clubface is king.

I understand you're comment about path. Path is in relation to your target, but in order for me to hit a green, I was standing closed to the target, significantly.

Now I am swinging in to out, with better alignment. And GC2 shows that, but still pulling the ball.

Has anyone had similar experiences and had their lies changed?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, get your lie checked, if your pulling it, a little flatter lie might help and its a cheap experiment.

Dynamic lie is the best way to do it, so the lie you present at impact. This can be done with GC2 HMT. If not a pro/fitter with a good eye.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Playing devils advocate, I would have to disagree.

My point is that whilst a swing fault is a swing fault, a slight in to out path could still be pulled, if the face is closed, either by grip or plane, or possible incorrect lie angle.

If someone is swinging with an in to out path, but the lie angle is 4 degrees upright, the ball is going left, or could.

Clubface is king.

I understand you're comment about path. Path is in relation to your target, but in order for me to hit a green, I was standing closed to the target, significantly.

Now I am swinging in to out, with better alignment. And GC2 shows that, but still pulling the ball.

Has anyone had similar experiences and had their lies changed?

You appear to be 'thinking too much'/over-analysing!!

Just get your Lie angles set so that you are striking the ball cleanly - with each club. It's the non-optimal interaction of (heel or toe of) club and turf that causes the sort of lie-angle related issues you are talking about. If the lie angles are set so that good contact is made, then you will eliminate that 'variable'!

If your GC2 has HMT, you should also be able to monitor all the info you need!

JoshuaSouber

Hacker
Visit site
You appear to be 'thinking too much'/over-analysing!!

Just get your Lie angles set so that you are striking the ball cleanly - with each club. It's the non-optimal interaction of (heel or toe of) club and turf that causes the sort of lie-angle related issues you are talking about. If the lie angles are set so that good contact is made, then you will eliminate that 'variable'!

If your GC2 has HMT, you should also be able to monitor all the info you need!

Haha, its as if you've known me forever ;)

Over thinking things is right up my alley, suppose becoming a golf nut was bound to happen.

I am going to get them checked out by my coach, watch this space!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Although not critical it made a hell of a difference to my shots, I had a set of old 'T-zoids' which were upto 4* uprite throughout the set now what I found to be happening is that I'd inconsistently hook-em so I had them put back to standard lie and have never looked back since...

If your clubs are uprite by a long way your always gonna hook or at best get quite a large draw which you'll then try to compensate for by altering your swing which is never the best of ideas...

So to uprite promotes a draw, to flat promotes a fade, but also bare in mind that shaft length plays quite a big role in your shot shape as well, to long and you'll push it which if combined with a flat lie will see you going right, to short with an uprite lie will see you hook it, if it were me I'd be gettin em checked and corrected...

But 'hey' that's just my opinion, others may beg to differ...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You don't need a whole load of electronics to check the practical lie angle; as foxy pointed out. However any static check can be completely miss leading (I was sent by a pro to a fitter to get the lie angles changed based on my address position - fitter got me to hit half a dozen balls with 2 clubs from a lie board and showed me the ' perfect markings' on their soles. You can even make our up to use at a range yourself easily enough.
Otoh, the expensive electronics will tell you what's going on in your swing; what your swing path actual is, where the club face is pointing at impact and your angle of attack.

Now, your current club lie settings may be wrong, and may be adding to (or even subtracting from - compensating for) your issues - or they may be completely unrelated. Either way it has to be worth getting them both checked out by professionals then, turn attention from the what to the why.