Lie adjustments

JGolfer

Visit site
Got fitted for my current irons. 2° upright. But since then have had lessons which has corrected the fault that required the adjustment. Local pro said he sees it a lot, people get fit and the fitter tailors around the fault rather than fix it and after it's been fixed clubs require adjustments.

He recommended I get them 2°flatter (back to standard) but that I get it done by titleist. Anybody know how I can get this done / price approx? 4-pw is set + two vokey sm7s.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest any decent pro should be able to do it with a lie adjustment tool, if they have one that is.
I dont see quite why the club fitter is the one who should be correcting your swing, he is doing what he's being paid for and thats fit you for a set of club with the swing you're giving him.

Dannyc

Visit site
Plenty of fitters around that will alter them for u
Might be worth contacting the original fitter he may offer u the best price I paid 4 quid a club to a local pro bout 4 years ago

JGolfer

Visit site
I would suggest any decent pro should be able to do it with a lie adjustment tool, if they have one that is.
I dont see quite why the club fitter is the one who should be correcting your swing, he is doing what he's being paid for and thats fit you for a set of club with the swing you're giving him.

I agree with you and I think the pro was more saying it in the sense he wishes people would get a lesson then get fit rather than the other way around.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with you and I think the pro was more saying it in the sense he wishes people would get a lesson then get fit rather than the other way around.
I would argue that just because your swing changes doesnt mean your lie angle always changes. My swing has changed quite a bit, but because of my height my lie angle has remained the same more or less.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Are you currently pulling everything or throwing in a few hooks as well as a pull? If this is the case and your pro doesn't see a swing fault then I agree with them, your clubs will be a touch too upright.

A few years ago I had a fitting but found on the course I was pulling my 9 iron, and wedges about 10 yards every time. Went back to the pro, clubs sent back to Ping and adjusted two degrees flatter. Massive difference. In the end we left 4-7 as I was fitted for, adjusted the 8 iron a degree flatter and 9 + wedges we took to 2 degrees flatter.

JGolfer

Visit site
Are you currently pulling everything or throwing in a few hooks as well as a pull? If this is the case and your pro doesn't see a swing fault then I agree with them, your clubs will be a touch too upright.

A few years ago I had a fitting but found on the course I was pulling my 9 iron, and wedges about 10 yards every time. Went back to the pro, clubs sent back to Ping and adjusted two degrees flatter. Massive difference. In the end we left 4-7 as I was fitted for, adjusted the 8 iron a degree flatter and 9 + wedges we took to 2 degrees flatter.

I've always played with a pull. Got on launch monitor at the fitting and it showed everything was going around 7 yards offline to the left. Told me making them more upright would help. My lessons showed I was too close to the ball in my stance,and we fixed my posture.

Now everything just goes even more left and the odd massive shank creeps in rarely but there. ( This is more from me trying to alter my swing because I know it's going left) I'm constantly trying to fight it going left.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've always played with a pull. Got on launch monitor at the fitting and it showed everything was going around 7 yards offline to the left. Told me making them more upright would help. My lessons showed I was too close to the ball in my stance,and we fixed my posture.

Now everything just goes even more left and the odd massive shank creeps in rarely but there. ( This is more from me trying to alter my swing because I know it's going left) I'm constantly trying to fight it going left.

I'm no expert but I can't understand why going more upright would fix it. That just encourages the heel to strike the turf which closes the face further at impact.

JGolfer

Visit site
I'm no expert but I can't understand why going more upright would fix it. That just encourages the heel to strike the turf which closes the face further at impact.

No idea. I only got back into golf 2 months ago. And decided to treat myself to a new set and got fit. And I assumed he knows best listen to him. I'm still having lessons. And from the pro says is my swing is fine. My posture was bad I was too close to the ball. And could do with shortening my swing a tiny bit. All stuff I'm working on regularly.

Called the American Golf store I got fitted at, and they said it would take two weeks to adjust them. Called a lot of local courses who's pro said they don't do lie adjustments.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Any club pro worth their salt can alter loft and lie on irons. Surprised the pro giving you lessons didn't offer to do it or recommend someone local, its usual around £30 for a set of irons

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
People get fit and the fitter tailors around the fault rather than fix it and after it's been fixed clubs require adjustments.

I'm not surprised this happens a lot, fitting is great for those taller or shorter than average but for the rest of us this could always happen. 100% not the fitters fault, they should not be fixing faults and should only fit to what is put in front of them on the day.

I have always got the toe up and know I need to fix it through practice, I could have had my irons flattened and fixed it right away but all my pros have advised against that and sold me lessons instead...