What would you do....wrong lie angles

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've got a dilemma.

I have a set of Ping I e1 irons that i was fitted for at an independent fitter about 14 months ago. I had no previous data to go off so just went with what he said. He fitted me for purple dot and 1/4" short. I am 5' 9" and have a wrist to floor of 34.5".
I am struggling with a pair of custom ground wedges of late, maybe ground conditions but also they feel too flat. I have just been to AG to see if i could add a dedicated Ping I e1 U wedge to my set and maybe a Glide 56 degree SS. The old boy in the shop looked suprised at the lie angle of my PW that i took with me for the serial number. He asked to measure me and off the ping chart i was between blue and black which would be about 2 degrees more upright than what im playing with at present. He said Ping now say Yellow is their STANDARD lie angle which is 3 degrees more upright than purple. He got a couple of 7 irons made up and taped the face and he got me to hit about 10 balls on the range. It felt nice and i hit them straight and out the middle.
He said the best thing i could do is to book a slot at Ping HQ, Gainsborough and take my clubs and get refitted and adjusted there and then for £30.

I am now not sure what to do. Should i do as he has suggested (Ping is 180 mile round trip.) or should i chop mine in for a new set with more upright lie angle? The way i'm looking at it is it will cost me fuel and the fitting cost to get mine sorted or i could chop mine in on the AG double trade in and get a new set of irons. Going on the trade in value guide i could get £315 for mine.
Or i could get mine bent by someone local i guess. Might be easiest and cheapest.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jon.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Book a Ping HQ fitting!

It'd worth it just for the experience! I suspect the £30 will be a bargain - as they may need to replace the shafts too!

And drop a note to AG (cc-ed to Ping even) commending the 'old boy' for his service! I'm not a particular AG fan, but that was outstanding service!

Btw. It makes no difference at all what Ping's 'standard' is! That's just what the majority of players happen to be. It's what YOUR attributes are that count! Oh and according to the charts I see, I'd think you are really a 'standard' Blue.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
certainly wouldnt get them bent, would either go back to ping for the "full service" option or trade them in and get a proper fitting for some new shiny ones :)

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the comment. I forgot to say the 7 iron i was hitting best was yellow dot. He is a nice guy, i have spoke with him before even though this is not my normal AG. He play at my club regularly in the seniors and has always been very helpful when in the shop.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Definitely get in touch with Ping and arrange a trip. Not sure how much Pings can be bent... think they're cast...?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest a full Ping fit. A trip to any of these head office fitting is a revelation and I am desperately trying to find a way to get the funds to justify a Ping trip myself. Whether you go down that route or a proper fitting elsewhere I would opt for a new set of clubs as I have a feeling you're always have an element of "is that me or the club?" with the ones you have if you get them bent. Better to get a fresh set, clear your head, enjoy the new ones and play well with them

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just to throw something else into the mix i could get a brand new set of Ping I e1 from AG in 4-PW with the different / correct lie angles for £135 by trading in my 5-PW set. I wonder if they would do me a 5 - U wedge set instead? The guy is ringing PING tomorrow for a price on the U wedge as they are still £100 on their website but are working out about £64 a club in the sale set.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
:D

They are a bit bland but good clubs.

Bland, do they need more seasoning?

What do you mean? I have Ping irons and feel they are far higher quality than the likes of Taylormade. My i25 are 2 years old in March and the faces and soles are in superb condition.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bland, do they need more seasoning?

What do you mean? I have Ping irons and feel they are far higher quality than the likes of Taylormade. My i25 are 2 years old in March and the faces and soles are in superb condition.

That is because they are made of the hardest metal mankind has ever discovered.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nonsense. Hit them out the middle and they don't feel much different to forged irons. My two sets prior to these were Titleist and Callaway forged irons.
Agree with this just got some I blades they are as good as any forged I have owned.
go for the full fitting at ping it's brilliant then get their advice with what to do they will tell you if your own clubs are suitable to be reset if not go for a new set with the new fitting.

Last edited:

mozza25

Medal Winner
Visit site
You can't do a fitting of a standard chart as it depends on you posture and swing shape. If you have a fitting with a GC2 HMT it tells you your lie every shot without using the horrible strike board. Also yelled isn't std, it's just that that is their most popular selling colour. Black is std which is 0.75 flatter than most other brands. My friends 5'7" measured red dot but had white dot, 3 degrees upt as his hand raise through impact and he swings out to in.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure you're local ping stockist can ship them back to get adjusted, you pay the cost of course. They then do what's necessary and even change the paint on the dots etc. Then you can just do a fitting local to yourself.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you like the clubs I'd just travel to Ping HQ and go through the fitting stages and get them adjusted. It would most likely be cheaper cost wise doing that than the AG trade in deal, obviously depending on what clubs you went for in exchange. Plus then if you don't get on with then you'd be thinking maybe I should have stuck with the pings.

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. I have just booked a fitting at Gainsborough for Thursday so I'll see how it goes. The guy at AG said it might take a couple of months to get in for a fitting there hence part of the dilemma but they can get me straight in so it looks the best option. £20 for a 9 club adjustment fitting.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. I have just booked a fitting at Gainsborough for Thursday so I'll see how it goes. The guy at AG said it might take a couple of months to get in for a fitting there hence part of the dilemma but they can get me straight in so it looks the best option. £20 for a 9 club adjustment fitting.

Wouldn't suprise me if they adjust the lie anlge whilst you wait and recolour code the dot (assuming the shafts are correct).
They dont produce different heads with different lie angles, just adjust each set/club according to needs or requirements.