Loft & Lie, a recommendation to all!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought Mizzys second hand recently so took them for a check up. I also have two Vokeys (SM2, so knocking on a bit) that were also ebay-bought. Now I knew the 52* was very upright, so much so I couldn’t use it, and I wanted it knocked to 51 to fill the gaps so that had to be done but the rest was for peace of mind. From the 8iron up my lofts should have been

38, 42, 46, 51 (after a knock), 56

They were in fact

38, 41, 45, 53, 55

So 8 degrees between PW and gap and 2 degrees to the lob/sand wedge.

Get em checked folks! The 52ish degree was 3* upright, once fixed I was booting them out to the flag and dead centre of the sole impact tape.

And if you’re in the Lincoln area I can heartily recommend Lee Tasker at Pottergate Golf Club, not only did he know his stuff he is a genuinely nice guy and a pleasure to deal with and charges next to nothing. Top man! I've left a few clubs to be regripped with him, getting the feeling my bag is seriously coming up in the world :)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread has been done to death mate!

Has it?! Sorry, wasn't aware, I know there was one a few weeks or so back because that's what prompted me to get it done, but I genuinely don't remember seeing any others. Maybe because I didn't think it was relevant to me and my Pings, but I see now I should have had the wedges done.

Aside from the recommednation to all, I wanted to recommend the guy who was more than worthy of it to the Lincolnites.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has it?! Sorry, wasn't aware, I know there was one a few weeks or so back because that's what prompted me to get it done, but I genuinely don't remember seeing any others. Maybe because I didn't think it was relevant to me and my Pings, but I see now I should have had the wedges done.

Aside from the recommednation to all, I wanted to recommend the guy who was more than worthy of it to the Lincolnites.

Quite bad how companies get away with being so far off the mark. My 3.5 degree upright 5 iron was 2 degrees flat!!!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite bad how companies get away with being so far off the mark. My 3.5 degree upright 5 iron was 2 degrees flat!!!

Yikes! I reckon the vokey had been moved intentionally but either whoever I bought it off in eBay didn't know or didn't say. I was none the wiser and at first just thought it didn't suit me until someone said it could be the lie angle. You don't know what you don't know!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

If you got them second hand it may not be the company per se but the way the previous user treated the clubs or even had them changed. Definitely important to get them checked. I do it once a year

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much does his service generally cost?

No idea what the going rate is but he said he'd only charge me for the ones adjusted. The princely sum of £1.50 per club. LOL. I'd feel like I was robbing him if I didn't drop a few in for regripping and will leave him the price of a few pints when I settle up tomorrow.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thread may have been done to death but silly people like me haven't addressed this issue properly. Till now.

Took my main set of irons. Ap2 to a pro at a local course and got the lies and lofts adjusted.

I wasn't sure the first day I tired them but its clear now after a few outings that this does help/work. My divots are much more symmetrical. No heel digging in. Flight is much more neutral.

Have to say, 20 quid well spent.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gotta get my 6 iron checked for lie, bought the set off of Facebook a few days ago and the 7/8/9/PW and SW are all fine but I can't stop putting the 6 either right of target or duffing the shot, feels like the toe's digging in...