Letting people pass

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure which behaviour you are talking about. The slow society golfers? The slow 2 ball that finally caught up...and then asked to go through(you know, because they are a 2 ball with special privileges)? The four ball that were doing all they could to play faster but couldn't....but didn't let the 2 ball go through?
These threads up with the same litany of excuses etc for why people dont let others through. It's a shame but I doubt things will ever change.

Mandofred

Visit site
These threads up with the same litany of excuses etc for why people dont let others through. It's a shame but I doubt things will ever change.
You didn't answer the question, so I will make the assumption (which may be incorrect) that you think the "slow" 2 ball that finally caught up....only because the 4 ball had to wait behind the tediously slow society group.....should have been let through just because they are a 2 ball......and get special privileges because of that.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
How many times has it been said you you when you have caught a group up? “ We would let you through but there is nowhere to go!”

Many times and I’ve assured them I will get through. Once I hear those words the game of golf stops and a new game begins and I have a good knack at making people very uncomfortable. That’s hitting my shot greenside while they’re on the green then watching them, staring at them from 30-40 yards away. I have even got my rangefinder out and watched them through it. I’ll make it the utmost effort to “play with them”.
Twice It’s had to go that far.

I’ve heard you won’t get anywhere and gone through three groups after and When you approach fast and look angry groups tend to part like Moses and the Red Sea.

And unsure if I’m ashamed or not as it generally works if all else fails but landing balls by the group infront usually sends a clear message. “I am going kill you soon”.

Mandofred

Visit site
Tbf the story has a whiff of the apocryphal about it. As I said it's the same old lines that get trotted out all the time.
So.....you don't like the fact that the 4 ball didn't let the 2 ball through? Under those circumstances I would do the same thing. These special rules for 2 balls......madness.

Mandofred

Visit site
Many times and I’ve assured them I will get through. Once I hear those words the game of golf stops and a new game begins and I have a good knack at making people very uncomfortable. That’s hitting my shot greenside while they’re on the green then watching them, staring at them from 30-40 yards away. I have even got my rangefinder out and watched them through it. I’ll make it the utmost effort to “play with them”.
Twice It’s had to go that far.

I’ve heard you won’t get anywhere and gone through three groups after and When you approach fast and look angry groups tend to part like Moses and the Red Sea.

And unsure if I’m ashamed or not as it generally works if all else fails but landing balls by the group infront usually sends a clear message. “I am going kill you soon”.
And this is good etiquette? Madness.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
So.....you don't like the fact that the 4 ball didn't let the 2 ball through? Under those circumstances I would do the same thing. These special rules for 2 balls......madness.
It's called etiquette.... Let the faster golfers through... be 1, 2 ,3 or 4.
Or do the usual and make excuses for why not to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But what is the purpose in letting a group through that you know will not make any further headway due to the pace of play.?
What are you going to gain, what are they going to gain?
The course is full and slow
The group behind have played faster in order to catch you up..
Will they be able to continue at that pace once they pass you?
If the answer is no then why let them through in the first place?
Because it's good for my mental health (and so my golf) - and in the uncertain scheme of things that makes for the eventual duration of a round of golf - it matters not a jot that I let them through and maybe take a whole 5mins longer to play the hole I'm on.

Also - it makes the group I let through smile and think nice things about my group - and it's nice to be nice and nice to be smiled at rather than grumped at.

Mandofred

Visit site
It's called etiquette.... Let the faster golfers through... be 1, 2 ,3 or 4.
Or do the usual and make excuses for why not to.
But the situation that was described....the 4 ball was quicker than the 2 ball. In your mind.....it doesn't matter. A 2 ball gets priority even if they are slower? That makes sense how?

I've occasionally played as a 5 ball (gasp!!!) on a Monday morning......and we have caught up to 2 balls. But....if for some reason we bumped up against somebody who slows us down.....we would have to let a 2 ball through.....because they are a 2 ball? Do I have that right?

Golf etiquette......goes together with Flat Earth believers.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
But the situation that was described....the 4 ball was quicker than the 2 ball. In your mind.....it doesn't matter. A 2 ball gets priority even if they are slower? That makes sense how?

I've occasionally played as a 5 ball (gasp!!!) on a Monday morning......and we have caught up to 2 balls. But....if for some reason we bumped up against somebody who slows us down.....we would have to let a 2 ball through.....because they are a 2 ball? Do I have that right?

Golf etiquette......goes together with Flat Earth believers.
Like I said, these threads always end up with the same old excuses being trotted out.

Mandofred

Visit site
Like I said, these threads always end up with the same old excuses being trotted out.
And you think that what I've described above is wrong? Do I have that right? Do you believe that a 2 ball should be let through.....no matter if they play slower than the group in front or not? They are a 2 ball.....so you HAVE to let them through. Is this correct (in your opinion) or not? If you do believe this......can you give me distinct reasons why you think so? I can justify my reasons for believing something....if I can't....maybe I've got it wrong.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup - with the focus for some always seeming to be grumbling resentment associated with possible 'benefits' that might arise for the let-through group, and not so much on the reality of any impact on the group doing the 'letting'... :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Slow play is the singular biggest issue at club level. Every club has their own culprits who week in and week out will hold the course up, and refuse to let any other groups through trotting out the usual cliches. We have one, as I've mentioned before that will invariably lose a hole in front but never sees it as a problem as they are playing at a decent pace. Well no, you're not as you've lost a hole but it makes no difference. It really needs clubs to get tough, especially with known and repeat offenders but most stick their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away even in competitions for fear of upsetting (and potentially losing members, especially if they are longer serving or in our case serving in a position at the trust). Until clubs begin to tackle the problem head on, and members see it taking action and so realise they could also be in trouble we'll go around in circles with nothing changing

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Slow play is the singular biggest issue at club level. Every club has their own culprits who week in and week out will hold the course up, and refuse to let any other groups through trotting out the usual cliches. We have one, as I've mentioned before that will invariably lose a hole in front but never sees it as a problem as they are playing at a decent pace. Well no, you're not as you've lost a hole but it makes no difference. It really needs clubs to get tough, especially with known and repeat offenders but most stick their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away even in competitions for fear of upsetting (and potentially losing members, especially if they are longer serving or in our case serving in a position at the trust). Until clubs begin to tackle the problem head on, and members see it taking action and so realise they could also be in trouble we'll go around in circles with nothing changing

Effective marshalling and sanctions are the only answer.

Too many players seem more intent on keeping ahead of the group behind rather than up with the group in front. Too many simply won’t accept they are slow.

And, for reasons I cannot really grasp, committees seem really reluctant to grip those responsible. We all know who the culprits are. Our committees know who the culprits are. Yet nothing ever seems to change.

One of our past captains is painfully slow, and won’t make any effort to change. Someone phoned the pro shop a while ago to complain his group had lost two holes on the group ahead, and one of the assistant pros came out to move them along. Rather than heed the advice the ex-captain stormed across the course to confront the member he (correctly) assumed had put it the call, and what followed was an undignified shouting match.

Even when that was communicated to the committee nothing was done, either about that particular incident, or his ongoing liking for playing at a snail’s pace.

With such a reluctance to deal head on with issues, nothing will change.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you give me details on why this is wrong?
My thinking is just different. For me - it is never good for me to hold resentments arising from benefits that others might get as a result of my own actions, much better for me be aware of the benefits that I might get from that action, and at the same time consider whether my action has actually cost me anything. Sometimes an action will - often it won't. But I'll usually get a benefit - either immediately or subsequently.

And so in the situation in question I simply do not believe that letting a group through will with any certainty have a negative impact on me or my group - it might have a temporary impact as the hole may take 5mins longer to play - but in the context of the round - minimal impact - if any. And I know with 100% certainty that if I view things that way then I'll feel the better for it - and so my golf for the rest of the round is likely to be the better for it.