Let's see if we can get through this without argueing.......Driver, high AND low

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting post Bob, thank you

I have a question please, can holding the lag / release keep the loft on the club for correct flight height ?

I have been guilty of early release with my irons and getting higher than normal iron flight

Would this apply to the driver too ?

Thanks again for a sensible post which i have found helpful

I would say yes. If the clubhead gets in front of the hands in the impact area, that will add loft to the club.
To help with this, you may want to try the drill below.
Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball. You may want to replace the back ball with a headcover to start with just in case ;)
As usual with any of these drills, start off will a mid to short iron and with small swings

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

Thanks Bob

I assume if i am releasing too soon i will strike the back ball ?

Yes.
This drill just increases the angle of attack into the ball

I've missed this :D

Nice to see you posting again Bob :thup:

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not so much a shallower swing but moving the ball back a touch in the stance would mean less loft on the driver at impact. Couple that with less spin(speed) you will have less height. (You may need to close the face a liitle at address for the low and open for the high shot)

So, to hit it high, move it forward to increase the launch angle and hit it hard to increase the spin.
To hit it low, move it back a touch and swing smoothly.

Hope that answers you question Sydney Greenstreet

Before anyone says that moving the ball back will increase the angle of attack and therefor create more spin, therefor increasing the height, I'd say that would only really apply on full power where the ball would start low then balloon up. And as we are swinging smoothly that will negate any possible increase in spin.
Cheers Bob I will try that next time I am faced with those conditions, To answer your question if it was a par 5 and wind behind me I would probably swing easy with a 3 wood.

A

Alex1975

Because if i was an average par 4, down breeze with forum distances, most people would change down to 3 wood to avoid getting too close to the green and end up confused about which one of their 5 wedges to use.
Simple really

This made me laugh out loud!!