Let's see if we can get through this without argueing.......Driver, high AND low

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
:)

So, to hit the ball high, we need a higher launch angle and more spin.

So, how do we hit it lower?

Less spin so a shallower swing? Hit it with less power "when it's breezy swing easy"...

The latter I can do but the former my current work in progress!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I try not to change how I hit my driver, I am lucky enough that my driver gives me a good flight into the wind, or wind behind and goes far enough so I try not to do anything different.
If I was going to change, say trying hit a short par 4 in one in a greensomes or something I would open my stance a touch and my give myself the feeling my shoulders were opened up, open the club face a touch and give it a smash.
To hit it low, I would tee it down and move the ball back in my stance a touch, swing flatter and look to play a hook.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you were playing a long par 5 with a fairway so wide even Smiffy could hit it and you had a breeze behind you and the fairway wasn't to soft or too hard, how would you try and hit the driver high to take advantage of the breeze behind?

Move the ball forward a little, and tee it higher.

The exact opposite for keeping it lower. That and a smoother, easy swing to take some spin off.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Less spin so a shallower swing

Not so much a shallower swing but moving the ball back a touch in the stance would mean less loft on the driver at impact. Couple that with less spin(speed) you will have less height. (You may need to close the face a liitle at address for the low and open for the high shot)

So, to hit it high, move it forward to increase the launch angle and hit it hard to increase the spin.
To hit it low, move it back a touch and swing smoothly.

Hope that answers you question Sydney Greenstreet

Before anyone says that moving the ball back will increase the angle of attack and therefor create more spin, therefor increasing the height, I'd say that would only really apply on full power where the ball would start low then balloon up. And as we are swinging smoothly that will negate any possible increase in spin.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why does it have to be a par 5?

Because if i was an average par 4, down breeze with forum distances, most people would change down to 3 wood to avoid getting too close to the green and end up confused about which one of their 5 wedges to use.
Simple really

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
:)

So, to hit the ball high, we need a higher launch angle and more spin.

So, how do we hit it lower?

by coincidence the pro today said he just grips down the shaft so his right hand index finger is at the grip logo, I tried it for about 10 balls with a 9.5 and 10.5 head, it works extremely well! Not sure of the technicalities of why that would make it go much lower?

hitting higher I've always played it slightly further forward in my stance and slightly higher tee.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because if i was an average par 4, down breeze with forum distances, most people would change down to 3 wood to avoid getting too close to the green and end up confused about which one of their 5 wedges to use.
Simple really

Good answer :)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Let's see if we can get through this without arguing...

:D:D:D

(Don't know about anyone else but I thought that was funny!) :clap:

....and so very, very typical of the forum. :rolleyes:

I aim to please ;)

Taking note of this as keeping it low is my Achilles heel in general play, not off the tee, although I'm sure I need to learn that as well with the opens I have entered at links courses.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly changing topic - but not entirely. My new course has a lot of slopes so many shots either uphill/downhill lie or ball above/below your feet. I found a Butch Harmon web page with advice how to play uneven lies and sent it to Bob to check Butch's work - they (mainly) agreed :)

But it would be so handy to have a little crib sheet with these simple tips as, if you're not experienced or faced with them for a while, it takes more memory cells than I seem to have left. In fact yesterday I twice got all but one of "tips" in my mind for an uphill lie but not the fact I'd need to aim right and both times was pin high but missed the green on the left.

So there you are Bob - something to add to the V Easy in your product range. Little A5 laminated tips sheet - perfect :)

Assuming that would that be within the rules to carry with you on the course?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Simple really

:clap:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try not to bother trying to take advantage. Hitting my normal shot will give me a little extra if the wind is behind anyway, and I would prefer to just concentrate on hitting a good shot.

this is my approach - basically 'hit it better' works for me both with a little help, or a little against.

move things up to a strong wind either way and I might give it a second thought downwind, and would certainly try and hit it a little more 'boring' if upwind.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I used the driver, I did the same as most on here. The only thing different is that down breeze I could give it more and into the wind, use a three quarter swing to keep spin down.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting post Bob, thank you

I have a question please, can holding the lag / release keep the loft on the club for correct flight height ?

I have been guilty of early release with my irons and getting higher than normal iron flight

Would this apply to the driver too ?

Thanks again for a sensible post which i have found helpful

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tee high to go low, tee low to go high.

Back in the stance, and toe turned in to go low, forward in the stance and open to go high.

Downwind par 5... sorry to be awkward but I hope for a slightly lower flight - its a links course and I want it running, not coming in high and stopping.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a question please, can holding the lag / release keep the loft on the club for correct flight height ?

I would say yes. If the clubhead gets in front of the hands in the impact area, that will add loft to the club.
To help with this, you may want to try the drill below.
Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball. You may want to replace the back ball with a headcover to start with just in case ;)
As usual with any of these drills, start off will a mid to short iron and with small swings

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]