Lets move to Prestwick ?

D-S

Visit site
Don't these retirement complexes have fairly hefty monthly charges?
Depends on the services given. If there is a restaurant on a pool, gym etc. yes they can be a lot for all the residents to share the costs but if there isn’t much, a garden, on site manager and common areas to look after then they can be relatively low.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on the services given. If there is a restaurant on a pool, gym etc. yes they can be a lot for all the residents to share the costs but if there isn’t much, a garden, on site manager and common areas to look after then they can be relatively low.
How much is relatively low?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Probably get a quarter of your cash back renting it out at next years Open.

My mates was telling me that he knows someone who's house backed onto the Royal Liverpool and all the owners of those houses were offered huge sums to vacate their houses for the week to allow them to be used for corporate guests whilst the Open was on. The only caveat was that the house had to be completely emptied.

That said the sums offered would likely cover the mortgage for a year or two so I'd have been out of there in a heartbeat!

D-S

Visit site
Seems a lot to me.
I guess it all depends on the standards of the common areas - lounge, coffee bar, tv room etc. Also how well the gardens are maintained and the services and activities that the manager provides and organises. For what my M-I-L gets, for example, it’s unbelievably good value but, as with everything, it is what the cost - value is to you.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

D-S

Visit site
The main issue with retirement flats is that they are very difficult to sell. Anyone buying from new will be facing a massive loss (or their relatives will) when it comes time to sell.

That said, buying second hand with the large price reduction already factored in could be attractive to some.

Good article here on this https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...irement-home-scandal-wiping-life-savings.html
Maybe we got lucky but when we sold my mother's retirement apartment but it went very quickly at the asking price. It was quite sought after, perhaps as with all properties it depends on location.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe we got lucky but when we sold my mother's retirement apartment but it went very quickly at the asking price. It was quite sought after, perhaps as with all properties it depends on location.
We have some Mccarthy Stone ones in the town where I live. Any on the market are snapped up in no time. Good location, centre of town, on the river, high standard. All that you need 👍