Solheim Cup 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope it's a bit better organised this week in Rome. But judging by the chaos at Fuimicino airport on Sunday I'm not holding out much hope. I'll let you know

I was listening to the NLU podcast on the drive back from London yesterday and they had some very scathing comments about the organisation of the Solheim.

Running out of food and water (even for the players) , fans stuck on coaches because the queue to get in was too long. Apparently the Spanish Golf Union insisted that the organisers were a Spanish company (not the one that was used previously in Gleneagles) amd them hosting the Solheim was part of a wider agreement regarding the "Race to the Costa Del Sol". The other rumours around the media tent was now that they had the Solheim , the Spanish Golf Union want to pull out of their agreement with the LET for the end of season event and Aramco are ready to step in and make. "Race to Riyadh anyone ???"

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the LET was indeed responsible for selecting the broadcaster and allowing them sole rights then they do need to take a hard look at themselves. It should be the opportunity to showcase women's golf and golfers among us wondered what the hell was going on so a casual observer would be completely lost and turn over.

I mentioned at tennis on Sunday that my afternoon plans were watching the Solheim. The guy I was speaking to had never heard of it and was unaware there was a female equivalent to The Ryder Cup (which he knew was coming up soon). If he tuned in to watch I'm sure he would soon have tuned out again.
BIB - Exactly. The number of times they'd switch to a player with, say, a putt and there was no on-screen graphics indication - or indeed commentary - telling us the context of the putt. I'm guessing the commentators were also silent as they were equally lost. Or the times a player was standing over a short putt for a win or half, and they'd switch to another match :mad:

4LEX

Visit site
Finca Cortesin is a stunning course, and you do not appreciate how steep the hills are on the tv. Much like Augusta I imagine. Course just carved out, not tricked up and very playable from the right tees. Would rather play than Valderrama and the views are amazing. Could imagine having an apartment in the area, oh wait... :)

Greenfee bit on the high side for you though ;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Greenfee bit on the high side for you though ;)
Too true Alex. three years ago I could have played for 170 euros now 400.:(Having watched the highlights I realise the best reason for being there was not having to listen to the commentary of Paul McGinley. I assumed after the first morning he would have checked out of his hotel and gone home. What a miserable,glass half empty, let me state the blatantly obvious, not know when to shut up, charmless man he is. He really ruins the commentary for me and no doubt he will be at the Ryder Cup.:(

D-S

Visit site
Too true Alex. three years ago I could have played for 170 euros now 400.:(Having watched the highlights I realise the best reason for being there was not having to listen to the commentary of Paul McGinley. I assumed after the first morning he would have checked out of his hotel and gone home. What a miserable,glass half empty, let me state the blatantly obvious, not know when to shut up, charmless man he is. He really ruins the commentary for me and no doubt he will be at the Ryder Cup.:(
Golf course pricing has really gone beyond bonkers in the Costas now. Couldn’t agree more about McGinley and would love some sort of red button feed that would avoid him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They did 2 years ago. Therefore they had to win it outright to take possession of it this time. They failed to do that!
Ah but with Ciganda standing over her putt on 17 McGinley had no problems reminding us that (his emphasis) ‘this is to retain, not to win’. Yeh thanks for that mate, now s*d off.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ah but with Ciganda standing over her putt on 17 McGinley had no problems reminding us that (his emphasis) ‘this is to retain, not to win’. Yeh thanks for that mate, now s*d off.
In all fairness to McGinley, the graphic on the TV said "Putt to Win the Solheim Cup". So maybe he was just emphasising the actual truth?

D-S

Visit site
Europe were the only ones invited onto the stage at the closing ceremony at the end to lift the cup and they were playing “We are the Champions “ so it didn’t look like anything but a European win if you hadn’t known it was a tie/draw/halved match.

Swango1980

Visit site
Europe were the only ones invited onto the stage at the closing ceremony at the end to lift the cup and they were playing “We are the Champions “ so it didn’t look like anything but a European win if you hadn’t known it was a tie/draw/halved match.
Well, the cup is theirs, so they might as well go up and lift it.

They also had to win it in the last Solheim Cup, and as USA didn't get it off them, I guess they still remain the Champions. Mind you, they were playing "We are the Champions" on the first tee every round, as they went through Queen's Greatest Hits, so I wouldn't read too much into that :)

4LEX

Visit site

It's a shame greenfees for most top courses have doubled in the last few years. Even looking around our neck of the woods you're looking at £150+ for a half decent track. Finca isn't worth 400 euros. That's not far off Pebble Beach level!

Let's hope Europe give Paul something to cheer this weekend! ✌️