Any lawn/ garden experts ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our rear lawn is being invaded by this in patches, any ideas what it is ?
The front lawn has been completely taken over but that going to be relaid so only need to treat these before it's too late.

cunnini

Visit site
it got rid of the issue - beware how much you put down - in some patches i put too much and it killed grass also, but i've subsequently reseeded it and all good

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like a simple Clover type plant. I'd be using a spot spray for weeds on lawns rather than a full lawn weed & feed..... maybe rather late in the season for that.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get a winter weed and feed, although I chucked a load of summer weed and feed over mine once in the winter that I bought from Tesco once as they were dumping it and my lawn came up a treat the next year. I've got a big lawn so to do the lot with winter stuff costs a bomb.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go with a variety of clover.

Hard to get rid of completely with weedkillers. Best to dig up making sure to remove all roots and patch or reseed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our rear lawn is being invaded by this in patches, any ideas what it is ?
The front lawn has been completely taken over but that going to be relaid so only need to treat these before it's too late.

It may be Slender Speedwell which can be difficult to get rid of. It doesn't respond to most lawn weedkillers or weed'n'feeds now as the prime active ingredient has been banned. But Resolva is probably the most effective now.
1698161713273.png

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think its called Common selfheal. I have its from time to time. Spray a lawn friendly weed killer. also pick it out with a weed fork and expose as much of it i can before spraying.

RichA

Visit site
i think its called Common selfheal. I have its from time to time. Spray a lawn friendly weed killer. also pick it out with a weed fork and expose as much of it i can before spraying.
I just ran the image through the terrific Pl@ntNet app...
It came up with 70% confidence as Prunella vulgaris aka self-heal. 👏👏 @patricks148

Yorkhacker

Visit site
It came up with 70% confidence as Prunella vulgaris aka self-heal. 👏👏 @patricks148
Yes, definitely self heal. Have it all over my lawn. It is very difficult to get rid of, unless you get rid of the roots, which is very time consuming.
I did have a very large patch which I sprayed with Weedol. It killed the grass as expected, but overseeded it and it looks fine now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll have to look at that , looks a handy tool, but if in doubt i ask a work colleague as a work for Scotlands Nature agency... which is handy. had real trouble with some liverworts a few years ago and couldnt identify by pictures for love nore money.