Garden renovation - price advice

D

Deleted member 18121

Minor hijack.
Has anyone turned a lawn into a wild meadow with any success? And I don’t just mean not cutting the grass for a year 🤣

My landlady did that when we rented a house once.... she took up all the grass turf and then laid these turf sheets with the plants already sewn into them. We were allowed to mow it only once a year....... absolutely hated it, looked a mess, getting down the path next to it always left us covered in dew/seeds/bugs. Still cant understand why she did it in a house she was never going to live in.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Minor hijack.
Has anyone turned a lawn into a wild meadow with any success? And I don’t just mean not cutting the grass for a year 🤣
We did this in a section of garden at our old house (garden was massive, farm steading cottage). All we did was used a scarifier on the section of grass, set quite deep to make cuts in the grass and soil, then got a big bag of wildflower seeds from Amazon and just spread them over it. Within 6 weeks we had a mixture of grasses and wildflowers in that area, I then took it further and planted 4 lavender bushes that grew enormous over the next few years.

If you keep on top of it the it can look good and the amount of bees we got visiting was massive. The area was approx. 3m x 3m and was bounded by a path on 3 sides and a wall on the other so it was easy to maintain the borders of it without it getting out of control.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, our bottom lawn is maybe 4 metres x 8 metres and we don’t use it, the missus came up with the suggestion last night so it can attract bees and stuff.
So Grieg, you didn’t actually fully take up the existing turf?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, our bottom lawn is maybe 4 metres x 8 metres and we don’t use it, the missus came up with the suggestion last night so it can attract bees and stuff.
So Grieg, you didn’t actually fully take up the existing turf?
No, I didn't really see the point as grass will tend to get in anyway. The scarifier removed large chunks of the grass anyway, as well as a huge amount of thatch that would probably have limited growth. Once we had nice deep furrows in the soil and had raked away most of the debris, just threw down the mixed seeds and then left it. It was just a conscious decision later to plant the lavenders at the corners as the bees seem to really love them.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My wildflower meadow, if you scarify grass or even just rake the area then get a bag of wildflower seed appropriate for area scatter seed then sow and water with fine hose that’s all you need to do.

Looks good with no maintenance I just cut down at end of growing season and most plants grow another year if not just scatter more seed.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
We did exactly this with the holiday house, nice cut grass for the first 4 metres coming from the house then the last 3 we just put wild flower seeds down and it came up lovely.
Looks pretty much as Rlburnside above 👍🏻

henry9

Banned
Visit site
Garden renovations are such a rewarding project. When it comes to pricing, it really depends on factors like the size of your garden, materials, and desired features. Consider getting a few quotes from local contractors—they can provide a tailored estimate based on your specific needs.
Also, check out some DIY options for a budget-friendly approach. Gardening forums and online communities often have fantastic tips and tricks.

sammyzsum

Visit site
I feel your pain with the muddy lawn situation – dogs have a knack for that, right? Garden renovations can be a game-changer. I'm in the middle of house renovation myself, and let me tell you, it's a journey.
When it comes to pricing, it can vary quite a bit, but I've heard that supply and labor for outdoor porcelain or sandstone, composite decking, and turf can add up. Since I'm dealing with my own renovation woes, I totally get it.
I've been struggling to choose interior mouldings myself. If you're looking for options, I found some online at https://mdfskirtingworld.co.uk/. It might save you some time in your renovation adventure.

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure on North East prices but been trying to get landscape quotes in the South East the last year and some are so ridiculous to be unbelievable!!

You can buy the actual paving for £30/m2 but close to doubling that price with other materials (incl digger assuming you need a properly dug out base) and then double it again for laying the patio, so for 40 m2 round here would be close to 5k (quotes Ive seen have gone higher than £200/m2)
Turf you can buy for £3-4/m2, add on topsoil/fertiliser to the material costs and we have had quotes in total for laid ranging from £10/m2 to £25/m/2 (to some degree this depends on how level what you have currently is and how much prep is going to be needed (ours shouldve been minimal but the weeds are taking over again :( )
Cant help on decking im afraid

We did have one quote where I asked if they had missed out the decimal point, that on all accounts is the easiest way to end a conversation with a potential landscaper lol. Hope you have more success than we are with it!
i have a proposal for 60k for a similar job... Welcome to Surrey heartland. I have framed it and left on the mantlepiece.