New house - more importantly garden - practice advice

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Moving to our new home next week, the wife wanted the house, I wanted the garden, everyone's a winner.

Was thinking of getting a mat and driving net, has anyone got these and do you use it regularly or am I just another kid at Christmas who is going to get bored of the new toy after a few weeks?! Any advice appreciated.

Any other practice aids you can suggest for around the garden? Unfortunately the floors are all laminate so I should be great at putting if I play Augusta in the summer....

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
got a nett, used it probably twice, trouble is you hunger to see the ball flight on a shot you struck well, so save your cash, have a swing in the garden with these light practice balls and hit proper ones up the range.
Just my opinion though

P.S Congratulation on the new house, as we say in Bonnie Scotland "Lang mae yer lum reek"

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used the foam balls when I was a kid to practice in the garden. Got myself a mat and that was good practice to kill half an hour. Did P@@@ my mumm off though hitting balls at the back of the house. Especially when it was wet and they left little ball marks all over the windows.....;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've got a fairly big garden and do have a net and mat, but its not been used for at least 3 years (only been playing 5)

Found that it can hide the bad swing as you don't know what the shot shape or ball flight is like.

I can hit a full wedge from one corner to the other without to much bother, but hardly ever bother anymore. maybe a bit of chipping once in a blue moon.

scottac20

Club Champion
Visit site
My biggest tip would be don't be too ambitious with your practicing!

When I was around 14/15 I used to chip around my parents garden and then I'd go into a field behind my garden to practice driving when the field was cut. Got a little too brave and decided to start hitting wedges from my back garden over the dyke into the field - thinned one of my first shots, it came straight back at me so I ducked and it smashed right through into my kitchen!

T

thecraw

I've got a fairly big garden and do have a net and mat, but its not been used for at least 3 years (only been playing 5)

Found that it can hide the bad swing as you don't know what the shot shape or ball flight is like.

I can hit a full wedge from one corner to the other without to much bother, but hardly ever bother anymore. maybe a bit of chipping once in a blue moon.

Is that before or after the Ghillie beats the heather for the grouse shooting? I now know why you bought that Bobcat to manage your Highland estate old boy. Best of luck with the culling this year they do play hovoc with the eco-system these pesky dear. Bring back the wolf is what I say, a natural predator is whats required to manage these out of control dear! That would be fun sport hunting the dear and wolf in your back door Pats old chap!

:D

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that before or after the Ghillie beats the heather for the grouse shooting? I now know why you bought that Bobcat to manage your Highland estate old boy. Best of luck with the culling this year they do play hovoc with the eco-system these pesky dear. Bring back the wolf is what I say, a natural predator is whats required to manage these out of control dear! That would be fun sport hunting the dear and wolf in your back door Pats old chap!

Surely the bobcat was for the staff? :lol: :D :D :D :D :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't get a lot from hitting into ta net and not really seeing the flight. It doesn't really tell you how you are swinging. I'd get bored very quickly. Sorry if thats a downer but the way I feel about it

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the honesty chaps, sounds like without seeing the flight you might as well just be swinging at thin air, fair play.

Its only about 30 paces front to back but I've only ever had a small concrete yard not big enough to swing a club never mind a cat so to me its a vast playground! Looking forward to my first season with a handicap and getting the bugger down, roll on Springtime...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Wolves Pah!

Bears, Dear boy, Bears are the thing, keeps the serfs in line too.

funny enough i did have a problem with deer the year before, kept coming in and eating the flowers.