Lesson type question

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
I was just wondering, how many visits to the range or how many balls would you have to hit on the range for what you have been taught in a lesson to become ingrained/second nature in your swing. Approximately. Say for instance your pro teaches you 2 small adjustments to work on and you work on them both simultaneously??

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't give you an expert figure for golf, but I know that it took me over 2,000 balls to change my takeaway between May and August of this year. Even having achieved this comfortably and consistently, I am now regressing... :(

Some things can be done quicker than others, everyone adapts to new things at different speeds.

You might get it done in 400 balls, then again, it might take 4,000.

I remember working on my in-out in 1995 and hitting 1,000 balls in one week. I then went out and pushed and drawed my way round the course to a 75. It lasted one season and I never got it back.

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks. Seems the general opinion is at least 1000 but more likely 10000. With this in mind what do you think the ideal period of time should be between lessons? I suppose the simple answer would be 'depends how often you hit balls'.

I had my first ever 4 lessons in pretty quick succession (say over 5 weeks) but now I think I should space them out a bit more to ingrain what I learn into my swing. BTW the lessons have helped so much, I would never be able to hit the ball like I can now without them.

Last edited:

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks. Seems the general opinion is at least 1000 but more likely 10000. With this in mind what do you think the ideal period of time should be between lessons? I had my first ever 4 lessons in pretty quick succession (say over 5 weeks) but now I think I should space them out a bit more to ingrain what I learn into my swing. BTW the lessons have helped so much, I would never be able to hit the ball like I can now without them.

That depends on the individual and the item you are trying to learn... If it is complex it will take longer.

I would only ever recommend working on one or two things at a time in any sport

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't think it's a case of how often you should have a lesson, more a case of making sure you are doing what you were told to do in the original lesson first... and that either needs a second pair of eyes or a video camera. One lesson every couple of months should be adequate for most mortals if you've grasped the basics.... depends how much you really want to put into the game.

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Well I just want to get better at playing as quick as I can but realize that it takes time and practice. The first four lessons I had we worked on general swing for the first two then chipping and pitching then bunkers. After that a break of about 5 weeks due to holidays and stuff then had another last Friday where I wanted to work on long game again. I think about once a month seems about right for me at the moment. I do need a putting lesson soon though!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I came to realise some time ago that what feels comfortable in the golf swing is not usually the right thing to do. Doing the right things can feel uncomfortable and not just for a short time, but always. In this case giving someone the advice to just let it happen and dont think about what you are doing will normally revert you back to what feels comfortable and wrong.

If I let it happen I will roll my wrists open in the backswing, I know this is wrong but it is more comfortable than keeping the clubface square. Keeping it comfortable in the downswing will allow the shoulders to spin out and bring the club outside the ball, shifting the lower body and core first is not comfortable.

Before I play I always have a small practice session where I make nice controlled half swings and rehearse the takeaway and swinging from the slot. I make a takeaway rehearsal for my practise swing to remember the correct feeling.

I guess my answer to the OP for me is that range practice can help ingrain a move but it wont always make the move comfortable.

Last edited:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Everyone is different. I've seen friends struggle to adapt to something I found easy and vice versa.
I have seen me pick up something instantly that I thought would have been hard, and then I took almost 4 months to get an easy thing changed.
You should be able to tell when you are ready. As you say every 4 weeks.