Leaderboards

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After winning the Volvo Masters, Singh said that he didn't look at a leaderboard until the final green. He thought he was behind playing 17 and reckoned he needed to make eagle.

Maybe this explains why his dodgy swing held up under pressure.

If I was in that situation, I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from taking a cheeky look at the leaderboards during the round...

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Great post

Do we believe him or not ? Surely his caddie knew even if he didn't - would he have had the strength of will not to say anything ?

It's like a football manager saying he doesn't look at the table until after Xmas or a batsman claiming ignorance of being in the dreaded 90s.

I personally couldn't resist looking, which may be a bad thing. If you think his swing is dodgy you should see mine.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I think it’s ridiculous not to look at a leader board in a situation like that. I know people always say play your own game but in many final round situations you can not ignore what is going on around you, particularly when faced with holes as difficult as the final stretch at Valderrama. There are so many risky shots around that golf course and knowing that you have shots in hand would make such a difference.

All credit to Singh for his performance but not looking at leader boards is madness in my opinion.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if we had leaderboards in the monthly medal I'd be peeking every five minutes..

Oh look Dave has just had a double dangler at 7, crikey Pete has just got a 2 at 14, bet that'll be worth a few in the sweep and if I can just net par in from here I'll be the winner of division 2....

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ha ha. Great shout. Leaderboards in the monthly medal. I'm suggesting it to my club today. Everybody loves to see how their pals have done on the computer when they get in. Wouldn't it be great to get updates out on the course?

I played in Canada last year at a course where you entered your score into the buggy and it could then tell you how everyone else in your group was doing. There were 10 of us and it was hilarious because it told you to par. To see people dropping from +13 to +18 in a single hole is great for morale. I'm not actually a big fan of these courses where you have to take buggies. For me you've got to walk a course to really feel you're playing golf. What does everyone think?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Could not agree more with you mate - buggies are in the same bracket as 9-woods and strictly reserved for those who need them!

I just don't get a feel for the course unless you are walking it and golf is meant to be an exercise..albeit a relaxing one - where is the exercise in motoring around all day? Not to mention the extra damage to the environment...

having said this most buggies can't go where my balls head...a 4WD buggy...now that might be a different story..

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Agreed!

My problem with buggies is how anti social they are- they take away the banter which so many of us enjoy between shots, and so much of the social aspect of the game is lost. Should definitely be reserved for those who need them!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jesper Parnevik apparently didn't look at the leaderboard when he was coming down the stretch in the 1994 Open at Turnberry and look what happened to him!

An old pro once said that any player who claims not to look at the leaderboard is lying.