Launch monitors

TimmersUk

Visit site
Hi there,

Anyone know anything about using Launch monitors for practice please?

I'm an 11 handicapper who lives 25 milers from the golf club. Just started playing again after quite a layoff and I'm looking at the possibility of getting a launch monitor and net, mat etc. to use at home. Currently if I want to practice I have to travel 90 mins in total. Time and fuel and Winter approaching.
The question is does anyone else use one of these for practice at home? If so do you monitor clubhead data as well? I don't think I can afford a monitor with club head data so if there is more importance on this than ball data it might not be worth it.

cheers

Timmers

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Can't comment on launch monitors as I don't have one but I find a mat, net and camera with good slow motion frame rate is great if you're trying to make swing changes. This alongside an occasional trip to the range to check ball flight can be very effective.

TimmersUk

Visit site
Can't comment on launch monitors as I don't have one but I find a mat, net and camera with good slow motion frame rate is great if you're trying to make swing changes. This alongside an occasional trip to the range to check ball flight can be very effective.
Thanks That is probably the way I will end up but will pursue launch monitors for a while. I like the idea of the precise feedback.

Neeko1988

Visit site
For me club data is far more important but I suppose it depends on what your working on. They have top tracer at my local range which does ball data, but I find trackman which tells me my club data, face angle, attack angle far far more beneficial.

D

Deleted member 21258

Having had a launch monitor without club data and now one with club data, it is great to have the club data for certain. Would be great to have the simulator as well, but we can all dream:cry::)

Without club data, you can still see ball flight on apps etc, so great for practise in winter at home.

A lot will depend on what your budget is and how much room you have behind/in front of your mat to your net to what monitor you can afford or use in you space.

EDIT 2nd hand units are not mega bucks btw

TimmersUk

Visit site
For me club data is far more important but I suppose it depends on what your working on. They have top tracer at my local range which does ball data, but I find trackman which tells me my club data, face angle, attack angle far far more beneficial.
Thanks Neeko…..working on everything for now. It's been a long time…..

Neeko1988

Visit site
I think trackman runs close to £20k though! Is there anywhere u can hire a room with a launch monitor there are a few near me

TimmersUk

Visit site
Having had a launch monitor without club data and now one with club data, it is great to have the club data for certain. Would be great to have the simulator as well, but we can all dream:cry::)

Without club data, you can still see ball flight on apps etc, so great for practise in winter at home.

A lot will depend on what your budget is and how much room you have behind/in front of your mat to your net to what monitor you can afford or use in you space.

EDIT 2nd hand units are not mega bucks btw

DRW..cheers......The Foresight GCQ or GC with HMT is going to be out of my range but is what I'd like. I have just noticed today that Skytrak which is what I'd go for if I can live without the Clubhead data can link up to Skypro which is a device that fits on the shaft. This combination gives me what I want but I'm not sure about the accuracy of Skypro. If it works it would be quite a good price....

Net wise I'm getting a 3m x 3m x 3m although space isn't a problem as it's in an outbuilding. I do need to get a good mat to hit from. Recommendations for either of these gratefully rec'd
What launch monitor do you have?

TimmersUk

Visit site
I think trackman runs close to £20k though! Is there anywhere u can hire a room with a launch monitor there are a few near me
Yep...waaaaaay to much......My local club has a GC2 which you can use but I'm not a member there. I like the convenience idea of it being at home. Less travelling time more time to practice...

D

Deleted member 21258

DRW..cheers......The Foresight GCQ or GC with HMT is going to be out of my range but is what I'd like. I have just noticed today that Skytrak which is what I'd go for if I can live without the Clubhead data can link up to Skypro which is a device that fits on the shaft. This combination gives me what I want but I'm not sure about the accuracy of Skypro. If it works it would be quite a good price....

Net wise I'm getting a 3m x 3m x 3m although space isn't a problem as it's in an outbuilding. I do need to get a good mat to hit from. Recommendations for either of these gratefully rec'd
What launch monitor do you have?

Skytrak you can buy for less than 2k iirc, which is ball based, no club data. Similar data to GC2 without HMT.

Your other options, 2nd hand would be something like flightscope Xi, which I think normally sells for about 2k 2nd hand(ball data only iirc btw, have a look on flightscope website for specs) but you need certain space behind and in front of the striking area(more than 3mx3m net btw) and possibly dots on balls

Or kind of a half way house a Flightscope xi+ gives ball and some clubhead data and 2nd hand is probably £2-£3k, space required and possibly dots on ball

Both Flightscope x2(has club and ball data) and trackman is probably out of your budget 2nd hand more than 3k++

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWIW, having used gc2+hmt/trackman/flightscope/skytrack/trugolf

The only reliable club head data is captured by HMT/ GCQuad. As you mentioned that it’s out of the budget, then your original question is answered ;)

Skytrack and very much everything else is a bit of a random numbers generators - check out to golf simulators forum.

Any radar tech inside is also random/has issues.

Having said that - you can have fun and improve your game with any. Skytrack is great for sim setups as works with many packages.

At the low end I’m curious about Flightscope Mevo, worth checking out.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a lot of research I went with a 3 x 3 x 3m cage net, skytrak and Truestrike mat. iPad connected to a projector with the image on an impact screen.
Skytrak is very accurate especially if used indoors. No stickers required. The Truestrike mat is the best mat I have ever used.
Like the OP my nearest range is a bit of a trek and the end result is I don’t go. All in all this is a very satisfactory set up that gives me all I would get from a trip to the range and much more.
The Skytrak gives a fair amount of info but if more is needed then it really is big bucks I am afraid.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
I also have a Skytrak and for the price there isn't really anything that competes with it at the moment. Second hand GC2 will run you about 4K if you can find one, Protee is a good system and will provide club data as well but again it's going to be close to 4K and needs to be a permanent setup.
As you previously mentioned adding a Skypro gives you some basic club data but you may find ball data is enough for practice. There is also R-Motion which is similar to Skypro and will give you club data with your Skytrak but not in the Skytrak app it only works in the TGC simulation software. R-motion can however be used as a standalone product for a cheap range/simulator setup, it's about £300 if I remember correctly.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am also interested in the mevo. I am thinking about putting a net in my garage. Trouble is, there is not much room so it might not be far enough away to work.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Is Skytrack any good? I know that when you take into account the costs it’s alright, but I saw a YouTube review where off the driver there was a 20 yard carry difference between it and GC2. 5-10 yards difference I can understand on a 250yard shot, but nearly 10%? Not sure on that.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is Skytrack any good? I know that when you take into account the costs it’s alright, but I saw a YouTube review where off the driver there was a 20 yard carry difference between it and GC2. 5-10 yards difference I can understand on a 250yard shot, but nearly 10%? Not sure on that.
Yes it’s very good and accurate. It struggled with top end driver speeds though.

I only sold mine because it wasn’t reliable in sun light and needs to be inside to be really accurate