Lands End To John O Groats

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
I have a number of cycling goals to tick off before I go to meet my maker and LD to JOG is one of them.

My dear mum has beaten Cancer twice and had amazing treatment and care from Christie's in Manchester so I am going to raise money for them.

I have decided to go the more scenic route which is nigh on 950 miles.

Setting off at dawn on the 10th of July and the plan is to do it in 9 days.
My recently retired father is going to be supporting me in his car,driving ahead to book us into B&Bs and carrying spares,food and water etc.

Training starts in earnest on Monday as I have bought a virtual reality trainer for my office which allows me to ride the roads and mountains of europe within the walls of my home.

So excited,9 days on the bike seeing all the different sights and sounds of our country is just going to be fantastic and a real challenge.

Particularly looking forward to the highlands of scotland!

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
I must admit the weather is my biggest concern.

I have a vision of bright sunny days but in all honesty the chances of 9 good days weather in a row in British summertime are close to nil.

Still ive wanted to do this for a long time and will just roll with whats thrown at me.

When I rode coast to coast across the backbone Pyrenees we had unbroken sunshine all 5 days but the heat gave its own set of problems as well.

Be happy with overcast,a little rain but mainly dry.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good luck with the cycle ope the weather is good for you im sure it will be,i will cycle with you for 50 miles if you want company from taunton just post me.

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
Ahh yes

I got a bit carried away with my 1st post.

Meant to say any donations/sponsorship will be greatly appreciated.
Details to be posted soon.

If anyone would like to give me some company along the route that also would be great for however long or short.

You do realise pokerjoke that I will be sitting on your wheel for 45 of those 50.Legs should be strong at that point but all help and company will be much appreciated.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do realise pokerjoke that I will be sitting on your wheel for 45 of those 50.Legs should be strong at that point but all help and company will be much appreciated.

[/QUOTE]

I really look forward to it please keep me posted.

DCB

Visit site
I knew someone who did the LE to JOG direction two or three years ago. Had a hard time in the wet weather if I remember right.

Certainly a good thing to do for the right reasons.

All the best with the training.

stevewilko

Medal Winner
Visit site
We did the Pennine way only 55 mile for Kidney research.
So good luck and let me know details of how to sponsor you.
wishing you every success

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
A'RA'BEST
I hope the weather is kind to you .Could you please keep us informed about your route through Scotland and where you are staying.

Were just finalising the route.Id like to do the western route because of the west scottish section,always wanted to ride my bike there.it must be stunning!
Also it goes near to my house in Lancashire so would get 1 night back in my own bed :D
summary.gif

This leads to our 2nd problem.
The idea is that my dad goes ahead to try and get us some accommodation each night.The reason we want to do this is that there will be days when I will be riding strong and do more than the 110 mile average which will allow for a few bad days when I would be able to shorten the day but still be on track.Thing is that part of Scotland is pretty remote and finding B&Bs could be a problem.We could book the B&Bs in advance but I hate the idea of stopping when I know I could go further.
I also like the idea of it being an adventure,not knowing where were going to end up each day along the route!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck with it mate. It's quite a trek.

A mate of mine did it for charity about 3 or 4 years ago, not on a bike but hitting golf balls the whole way.

May I suggest that you involve your charity in the early stages as they may be able to help you in many ways and suggest ways to maximise potential donations.

TRS30

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done on under taking such a challenge for a great cause.

On the accommodation issue, have you though about renting a camper van for the 9 days? Not sure now much it would work out at but would solve your problem of having to book B&B's and you can stop pretty much whenever you want.

D

Deleted member 1740

Superb what your doing AG, keep us posted with your plans and donation procedure please mate.

Good luck.

P.S why don't you go JOG to LE its all downhill you know :D :D :D :D

AlchemyGolf

Head Pro
www.onixbikes.co.uk
On the accommodation issue, have you though about renting a camper van for the 9 days? Not sure now much it would work out at but would solve your problem of having to book B&B's and you can stop pretty much whenever you want.

Thanks for all the support and good wishes!
That would have been ideal but its very expensive.

Were still trawling over the route and possible stops.
Were thinking of lengthening the route slightly and adding an extra day,so do it in 10 days.This makes planning a strict route with all B&Bs booked in advance a bit easier and can keep off the main roads a bit more.

The mission statement is to raise as much money as possible and get to see as much of the scenery in each county as possible.

Ploughing along busy A roads is not what im after hence the longer route