Lady problems

salfordlad

Visit site
If there were no booked times or set groups and it was Stableford, I'm not seeing any penalties for anyone. If it was stroke play, the person that skipped the 10th is DQ.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The player needs to be at the correct tee.

5.3a
When to Start Round
A player’s round starts when the player makes a stroke to start his or her first hole (see Rule 6.1a).
The player must start at (and not before) his or her starting time:
This means that the player must be ready to play at the starting time and starting point set by the Committee.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Steven - agreed, but I guess you missed my amendment to my response after checking the Interpretations and reminding myself of Interpretation 5.3a/2

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sufficient that his or her group had to tee off to avoid the following group from impinging on their following one.

I was referring to your quote about someone joining a group on the second tee.

The rules make leeway for someone being up to 5 minutes late without being DQ.

salfordlad

Visit site
Stableford - 9-hole qualifier
The more I think about this the more I firm up the view there is no avoiding DQ for both players. Both of them altered their Committee approved/determined groupings - that is a DQ in stroke play and Stableford. And it also appears both failed to make it to the correct initial tee within 5 mins of scheduled time, which also is DQ in stroke and Stableford.

Merely hitting from the wrong tee in Stableford just gets no points for the hole (no requirement to correct like in stroke play) but other rules are determinative here.

As noted earlier, if this was just a roll up where players could hit off whenever with whomever, there would be no penalties incurred.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
All very interesting, for our mmid week competitions we book our own tee times and arrange our own groupings, it may be the case that for whatever reason a player or players cannot play and so groups are changed with no input from the committee.

For our major competitions we have a draw with set tee times and if someone drops out the committee will change the tee sheet.

I do not see anything wrong with the way we run things.

salfordlad

Visit site
All very interesting, for our mmid week competitions we book our own tee times and arrange our own groupings, it may be the case that for whatever reason a player or players cannot play and so groups are changed with no input from the committee.

For our major competitions we have a draw with set tee times and if someone drops out the committee will change the tee sheet.

I do not see anything wrong with the way we run things.
Agree. This is one of the places where what the rules say (the question we were asked) and what are normal processes in Clubland part company.

I, too, see absolutely nothing wrong adopting pragmatic practices that provide more flexible arrangements in the less formalised club comps.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Given the constant swapping of 9s, I’d imagine that anyone who applied any of the above rulings would become the most hated person in the golf club! ?

I remember one captain being hounded out of a club for applying the missed tee time penalty on someone who was 5mins late even though they were still two tee times behind actually being able to play when he turned up! The guy just need the toilet and saw he had time to go. ??‍♂️