Ladies - R&A Charter

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

So yesterday the R&A announced a charter to bring in more young ladies into the game - regardless of whether that will work or not , i personally don’t think it will make much difference as clubs have been trying for years but currently the Ladies Game has one of their biggest comps of the year going on at the same time as a regular PGA Event - so in light of the announcement shouldn’t Sky start to treat the events a bit more equal - ie it’s a Ladies Major so shouldn’t that be on the main Sky Golf Channel as opposed to behind the Red Button ( which stops online and Now TV viewers being able to watch it )

Also in regards the announcement I guess the fact it’s not even been mentioned once on here will show the impact it will have on Golf

And in regards the Memorial i see Spieth just took relief from a path then after he took his drop a part of his foot was still on the path with the rules guy watching ?!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So yesterday the R&A announced a charter to bring in more young ladies into the game - regardless of whether that will work or not , i personally don’t think it will make much difference as clubs have been trying for years but currently the Ladies Game has one of their biggest comps of the year going on at the same time as a regular PGA Event - so in light of the announcement shouldn’t Sky start to treat the events a bit more equal - ie it’s a Ladies Major so shouldn’t that be on the main Sky Golf Channel as opposed to behind the Red Button ( which stops online and Now TV viewers being able to watch it )

Also in regards the announcement I guess the fact it’s not even been mentioned once on here will show the impact it will have on Golf

And in regards the Memorial i see Spieth just took relief from a path then after he took his drop a part of his foot was still on the path with the rules guy watching ?!
Sky is a business and will always go for ratings that’s where the ad revenue is.
For whatever reason ladies golf is not that popular.
I quite like it as it’s closer to my game than the men.
Why the BBC don’t try it amazes me as the product would come relatively cheap compared to some sports.

They could offer the BBC the ladies open , plus a package of tournaments at a knockdown price to get the ball rolling!

D

Deleted member 15344

Shouldn't they be applauded for at least trying..?
Better to try and fail than fail by not trying...

And the main part of the post about Sky hiding the Ladies Major on the red button ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a young lady who goes by the social media ID of TheJazzyGolfer, she has been doing stuff with England Golf and is a popular blogger and also on Instagram and Twitter. She is playing with and recording a chat with one of our junior girls on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 15344

There is a young lady who goes by the social media ID of TheJazzyGolfer, she has been doing stuff with England Golf and is a popular blogger and also on Instagram and Twitter. She is playing with and recording a chat with one of our junior girls on Sunday.
Yeah I have read a few of her stuff and she is popular with the young girls and speaks very well and certainly one to look up to

But for me the issue is how you get tbe girls back to the game after they finish Uni - we have seen it with our place - good young girls who then go off to Uni and when they finish their life is full of making a career and being with friends or starting a family.

I think the demographic they are aiming at is going to be a problem

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sky have no duty to promote any sport. They pay good amounts of money to be able to show what they choose. The governing body are the ones should put said money to use.

Imo the ok remarks in regards are based more on their views on sky than anything else.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sky have no duty to promote any sport. They pay good amounts of money to be able to show what they choose. The governing body are the ones should put said money to use.

Imo the ok remarks in regards are based more on their views on sky than anything else.

I think next time the broadcast rights come up for the ET the bidders should be told its mandatory to also show x amount of live LET

Its one easy way the tours can work together to support each other

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think next time the broadcast rights come up for the ET the bidders should be told its mandatory to also show x amount of live LET

Unfortunately I don’t think the ET is popular enough to make such a demand. The pga and lpga are the more popular tours.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

Clauses like that in contract negotiations could actually reduce the amount bid, thus watering down the cash available to everyone else, unlikely to be a popular move.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But for me the issue is how you get tbe girls back to the game after they finish Uni - we have seen it with our place - good young girls who then go off to Uni and when they finish their life is full of making a career and being with friends or starting a family.

I think the issue is why try?
They will come to golf when they are ready and can afford it

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

That's not a gender specific problem, though, is it? It is true for young men as well. Golf is a very time intensive sport (and it is not cheap either) and at certain times in your life there might just be other priorities. It is relatively normal to have young people who played as juniors, even if they did really well, to leave the game for a while when they've finished school and then hopefully come back some 10, 15 or 20 years later, once they've found their footing in life and have time and resources to spend again. But the chances that they do pick up golf are much higher when they have played as juniors. That's why it's definitely worth bringing young girls into golf. Also, a bigger talent pool will lead to a higher chance to get a few really good players who can become role models and cause a landslide effect like Se-Ri Pak did for South Korea.

Especially in the US and in the UK, two of the biggest if not the biggest golf markets in the world, the percentage of female players is ridiculously low. It is just such a huge potential wasted and every effort to change that should be applauded.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure there's that much interest in younger girls for golf... The couple of times I've been to The Buckinghamshire, to watch the ladies event, it's been ladies of a more mature age that have been in the galleries...

Was told a few years back viewing figures, for ladies golf, barely broke into four figures... Hardly appealing to advertisers...

Think team games are currently more appealing...

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the issue is why try?
They will come to golf when they are ready and can afford it

Because they see it as an area of minority and small numbers that needs filling

They have been trying for a good number of years now , clubs have moved from Men’s Medals etc to just Club Medals which allows then Ladies who work to play Comp golf at the weekend instead of being stuck with no Comp golf because all the historical ladies comps are during the week

But a lot of the issues that are faced by Ladies who work actually come from the Ladies Sections in Golf Clubs who enjoy their day during the week where they have the course to themselves

Our club removed the men’s medals etc so that the Working Ladies could play in the comps - it’s caused no issues and we have ladies throughout the weekend but when the idea was approached about opening up the Ladies Medal for example on a Tuesday the idea was shut down in flames within seconds - I was told firmly that the Ladies would refuse strongly to allow Men to play in their comps - so we have a situation now where Ladies can play 7 days a week but Men really only 6 but both pay the same. It’s the same with the issue down in Wales that at first looked like a clear case of sexism and lack of equality - a Lady wanted to play on a Saturday morning during the men’s comps , they had an AGM and they voted no - she went to the press screaming equality etc etc BBC and Co picked it up , it hit the House of Commons as well and because of the negative press the CEO of the club overturned the AGM result and she now can play at anytime on a Saturday during a Men’s Comp - it was put to her and her Husband that now she gets more access to the courses than the Male members because ther Ladies have the course on a Thursday I believe it is - they just dismissed it and were only interested in equality on a Saturday and they don’t care about the people during the week - those actions now have caused massive resentment between the members and could affect the club. But the R&A and people like Iain Carter just leapt upon the equality angle of it when if they looked into it deeply she had exactly the same level of access to the course as the men - she just wanted to play whenever she wanted to even if the tee was booked.

Now when i looked at the Charter one of the things they discussed was removing the idea of “Men’s and Ladies” comps and just having comps ( apart from the obvious like Club/County Champs etc ) but most clubs especially the men’s side have already started doing it but the Ladies side still stick to their Ladies only - why would a Lady aged between 18-40 look to play golf when the majority of her comps are stuck on during the week when she is no doubt working.

These are just a few reasons I see it as a scheme and charter that will start off with a fanfare of noise but then fizzle out - they are targeting a section of the population that just won’t look to golf for other more important reasons

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Why?

If women don't want to play golf and want to have children and work instead, then fine.
Most of my lessons comprised of ladies who were getting back into golf after raising a family and men who were too old and injured for football or rugby.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

They have been trying for a good number of years now , clubs have moved from Men’s Medals etc to just Club Medals which allows then Ladies who work to play Comp golf at the weekend instead of being stuck with no Comp golf because all the historical ladies comps are during the week

But a lot of the issues that are faced by Ladies who work actually come from the Ladies Sections in Golf Clubs who enjoy their day during the week where they have the course to themselves

Our club removed the men’s medals etc so that the Working Ladies could play in the comps - it’s caused no issues and we have ladies throughout the weekend but when the idea was approached about opening up the Ladies Medal for example on a Tuesday the idea was shut down in flames within seconds - I was told firmly that the Ladies would refuse strongly to allow Men to play in their comps - so we have a situation now where Ladies can play 7 days a week but Men really only 6 but both pay the same. It’s the same with the issue down in Wales that at first looked like a clear case of sexism and lack of equality - a Lady wanted to play on a Saturday morning during the men’s comps , they had an AGM and they voted no - she went to the press screaming equality etc etc BBC and Co picked it up , it hit the House of Commons as well and because of the negative press the CEO of the club overturned the AGM result and she now can play at anytime on a Saturday during a Men’s Comp - it was put to her and her Husband that now she gets more access to the courses than the Male members because ther Ladies have the course on a Thursday I believe it is - they just dismissed it and were only interested in equality on a Saturday and they don’t care about the people during the week - those actions now have caused massive resentment between the members and could affect the club. But the R&A and people like Iain Carter just leapt upon the equality angle of it when if they looked into it deeply she had exactly the same level of access to the course as the men - she just wanted to play whenever she wanted to even if the tee was booked.

Now when i looked at the Charter one of the things they discussed was removing the idea of “Men’s and Ladies” comps and just having comps ( apart from the obvious like Club/County Champs etc ) but most clubs especially the men’s side have already started doing it but the Ladies side still stick to their Ladies only - why would a Lady aged between 18-40 look to play golf when the majority of her comps are stuck on during the week when she is no doubt working.

These are just a few reasons I see it as a scheme and charter that will start off with a fanfare of noise but then fizzle out - they are targeting a section of the population that just won’t look to golf for other more important reasons

How does that work in practice?
If a club decides to open up the men's comps to all I thought that would include votes from men & women on the issue
How then can women (assuming they are in the minority of the clubs membership) prevent a vote to open up the women's comp as the men could simply outvote them (if they wanted to), unless it was actually men who either didn't vote or even voted against the women's comp being opened up

Unless men only get to vote on male issues and vice versa, which actually sounds weird because who's to say where the boundaries are for all the various club matters

Unless its actually two clubs of course which is a whole other matter

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why?

If women don't want to play golf and want to have children and work instead, then fine.
Most of my lessons comprised of ladies who were getting back into golf after raising a family and men who were too old and injured for football or rugby.

i agree with you here Bob, IMO they are barking up the wrong tree as far as getting young male and females to take up golf. Throwing cheap memberships,etc when the sport is more appealing to and older demographic.

Just my opinion of course

D

Deleted member 15344

Why?

I believe because right now there is a very small amount of ladies who play golf but still work during the weekend and there aren’t clubs that can or want to cater for them. Reports that golf participation is falling ( even though there was a small rise ) and the normal areas of golfers aren’t coming in droves so maybe they are looking at a different angle - bring in families etc and then clubs will have to look to change

There are loads of countries around Europe that have far better participation from Ladies

Germany for example is up near 46% of club golfers are ladies

http://www.carrgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/3024.pdf