kids and board

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you guys think is an acceptable contribution to the household expences in this day and age? In 1982 I gave my parents £20 a week out of my pay to make sure I wasn't costing them anything.My two sons both think £20 per week today is ample.... a point we have some very heated discussions about. My daughter works and pays £30 per week the other two (suffer from lazybastarditis)are currently 'looking' for work'. Am I the only one with kids who expect the world on a plate for no effort.....the eldest quit his job after coming back off holiday after borrowing £500 off his mum to go in the first place! Sorry to rant but why are the values I learnt (and tried to pass on) laughed at by my offspring.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I started work in 1988, I came home with £72p/w and I gave £30p/w. This also happened to be the amount my parents gave my sister who was at uni at the time, so I sometimes remind her that it was effectively me that put her through uni. I gave the most from the friends that I had at the time, but I suppose it all depends on how much your sons are earning. (Sorry, just reread your post and saw that they're not earning). In this case, I would take it all from them and then decide how much <u>you'll give them</u> .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I started at the Treasury in 1983 and took home about £400 a month. I gave my mum £100 to cover food etc but still couldn't spend £300 a month despite being out on the pull/beers every night. I was still working P/T at the golf club too for aonther £20 per weekend so all my balls and golf stuff were covered.

I think if kids are living at home and in full time employment, a minimum of £75 per month is not excessive. If timeevans sons are not working but claiming some form of allowance (jobseeker or whatever it is called these days) then some sort of deduction should be forthcoming

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started work in 78 and gave £25 per week, when I got bonus I paid more or bought them other stuff like a new bed cooker etc...

My son doesn't pay anything but that is our choice. He has paid for odd and sods when asked but nothing major. Just remembered the little get still owes me my B/day present from Jan. He was/IS going to take me golfing somewhere special.

He gets a good wage (law firm) and we figur e he is best saving for when he gets a place of his own.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I joined up at 15 so almost missed out on these pleasures, except that I was expected to contribute when home on leave.
My eldest brother stayed at home longest and paid his way from when he started his apprenticeship, the kid brother skipped it all by joining the RAF and getting sent to Uni.

My kids, the eldest paid up but has since left, the daughter did when she was working now at uni, the middle one owes his Mum loads, pays when reminded and is still at home.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
From when I first started bringing home money it always was a third so I learned the value of money... I was 15 and working part time in a bar, I loved the hours and the work but I always felt they were taking the piss with a 1/3rd. When my little ones get older I will also make them appreciate money but might not be just as mean to them as my parents were.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently worked for a year at an insolvency firm as part of my university course. I took home £1k/month and paid my dad £100/month.

Whilst I'm at university (I live at home still though) my dad doesn't charge me anything.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I never paid anything. That said I moved out fairly early, compared to todays kids. My parents never asked for a contribution, so I didn't give it. I guess looking back it was a bit wrong, but what 21 year old would give it up voluntarily to parents who really didn't need it, and hadn't asked for it.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I worked on my dads wet fish stall from 13 and he paid me a tenner less than his other Saturday lad! plus school holidays etc.

My mum and dad did pay my way through Uni later so I can't complain, he didn't even go mental when I dropped out after 2 years (well not much)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
live with my g/friends parents at the moment and we both pay £25 per week. They are very good to us as we are saving hard to buy our own place. We do buy extra stuff now and then and often treat them to a meal out or somethin.

Cut off there internet and phone for a week and tell them they don't pay enough to cover it. Do what my old man did and give them a break down of all they use! It's scary!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My kids didn't pay a lot so I'm now getting my own back by telling them I'm spending their inheritance.

They get their own back by telling me that that nice Mr Brown has stolen most of it anyway :mad: :mad:

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From when I started work (whether Saturday job or full time), my parents were given a third. No debate, a straight 1/3.

Needless to say I got it back as did not pay any bills when living at home and never worried about the car insurance, etc.

It seemed somewhat extortionate at the time, but as my dear dad used to say "if you can live cheaper elsewhere, please feel free". One good thing it taught me was the value of money and how far you have to make it go.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
My step son is just 18 and finished his college course in July and worked between 20-35 hours a week at a shop (which was his weekend job at college) we took about a third of his wage in board, say he earnt £130 it would be about £40 and less if he earnt it. Now he has started a new full time job on maybe about £800 a month we are going to take £250 off him, he moaned at first then I suguested we split the bills, food and mortgage three ways he soon changed his mind.

I think if you don't take board some kids get spoilt and don't move out and in the end they fail to understand the value of cash and paying bills.

markwarne

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chubb, couldn't agree more.

As I say, my parents were given a 1/3. If I earned £60 they got £20, if I earned £600 they got £200.

Alot of my friends thought I was getting the rough end of the deal, but when it came to moving out and getting my own place, I was used to that "commitment" element of your pay packet and hence the shock was less.

I do remember my Dad p*****g himself when I complained about my first phone bill of £50. I think the words "now you hopefully realise what a good deal you had" skipped off his lips.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Alot of my friends thought I was getting the rough end of the deal, but when it came to moving out and getting my own place, I was used to that "commitment" element of your pay packet and hence the shock was less.

Which is a lesson worth it's weight in gold.

Even if I didn't the need the money I would be tempted to take it and stuff it in an account they don't know about and give it back when they've worked out the value of money (and moved out)

I think breaking down how much they cost you on a spreadsheet and showing it to them is about as transparent and fair as it gets.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chubb is spot on! If you let your kids enjoy too much comfort and safety net they learn less in the way of looking after themselves in the future and understanding values.My kids are 10 and 7 they already do chores and earn and buy their own stuff but they also get warned about the future and what will be expected of them.

Yes they know they have to get good jobs and earn enough to buy mum and dad a holiday villa somewhere lol.