On Course Lesson - Leeds Castle

Gentabout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sorry for the long post but please bear with.

I have been having lessons over the last year or so and have learnt a lot but was struggling to take a lot of it to the course. I could stand on the range and hit 9 out of 10 shots perfectly and pick up new things very easily but when I stood over the ball on the course it became 4 out of 10 on short game and maybe 7 out of 10 on long, I was finding that I could par one hole and then 9 the next and this was destroying my confidence further. I discussed this with the pro I had been having lessons with and he just suggested practice but it wasn't working for me as I could groove the ball well enough on the range but not on the course and with time always an issue practicing on the course when out with friends didn't really work. So my thoughts turned to getting some on course work so that a pro could maybe see where I was going wrong. My Pro does on course lessons but only during the week and at about £120 a time.

So the reason for the post is to pass on my experience from last night when I went and had an 9 hole on course lesson at Leeds Castle with their Pro Steve Purves. It was complelty different from the lessons I've had before and I have hopefully managed to solve so many small problems that I didn't know I had and didn't show themselves on the range that will save me strokes on every round.

1. I had a different width of stance with my irons (to narrow) to my woods. I don't think this showed up in previous lessons as you tend to focus on one aspect and not swap around, this made me unstable and was probably causing some of my mis hits. (going to save at least 4 strokes a round:clap:)

2. Ive now got a thought process and a different stroke for chipping that I've never been shown. My normal chipping is unpredictable as I develop most of my power at the bottom of my swing and have been struggling to control distance and I've ended up somewhere between a chip and a flop with a wedge. The first thing he suggested was a 9 iron and a putting stroke, AWESOME! why had no one shown me this before, so much safer and much more controllable and a bad connection or miss hit still leaves a playable ball where as before I could end up in a much worse place than I started even with a minor mishit. (Easily saving 6 strokes a round :clap:)

3. Putting, this had been very bad lately and was getting worse with each round with me averaging 3 puts per green even after having some 1 puts. I managed to take 7 on a par 3 last week after leaving a birdie chance of the tee with the ball 4 foot from the hole. I had discussed this with my existing Pro and we had spent a short amount of time on it but he felt my stroke and aim were fine - just practice. Turns out I've been trying to control distance with speed and power rather than stroke, if I wanted it to go 10 foot I hit it at one speed but if I needed 20 I hit it harder and faster but with the same stroke!. This probably wouldn't have shown up on anywhere but a proper green as with my existing Pro I just hit a dozen balls in the training room all from the same place (12 foot) and they all made target. Im now controlling distance with swing distance, take the club back further to go further but all at the same sort of speed where as before my swing distance was the same regardless of distance. Why had no one told me this before!. (hopefully get me down to a 2 put average saving 18 strokes a round :clap:)

4. Irons in to greens. My swing has improved a lot over the last 6 months and therefor distance has come with that, 7 iron used to be around 150 but is now nearer 170 with gapping of about 10 yards between. I went to play a couple of shots in to greens were Steve questioned my club choice and explained why. situation 1, elevated green ahead reading 150 yards to the middle, pin to the front, he suggested my 8 as the ball was on a down slope and that would take 5 yards approx of my length and with the hill I might lose another 10. I left myself a 5 foot putt from pin high. I had planned to take my 7 just to make sure to get up the hill. No one had told me that a down hill lie might reduce distance, also because I get the ball up high with my swing I don't need to over club as much as someone with a low ball flight when it comes to hills. Also true of down hill shots, I had been coming down to many clubs through fear of overshooting the green. (should save some chips each round, therefor maybe 5 strokes per round :clap:)

5. Driving. Leave well along especially after one of his comments that he didn't think he could reach where I just put it. (No strokes gained :angry: :thup:)

All these smallish issues were not showing up in my normal lessons and the guys I play with know about as much as me so couldn't help either as they didn't know what I was doing wrong especially as some times I was very good. I don't blame any of my poor skills on them but I so wish I had sought out a lesson on the course sooner.

The cost of this Awesome lesson that will change my game £60. We were on the course for about 2 and a half hours in total and on a lovely course with stunning views of a castle.

Please if you are like me and are struggling seek out a lesson on the course I think it will be an eye opener!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A really good summary and you obviously got loads from it. I did a playing lesson at mine about 18 months ago and picked up several tips that you just don't get on a range lesson. Let's hope you incorporate them all into your game quickly

Your own pro's price at £120 seems pretty steep, mine at Ashford was about £50 but we used a buggy to maximise hitting time with less walking

Gentabout

Medal Winner
Visit site
why havent we heard of this pro before ,33 strokes per round saved already and only one nine hole lesson .:rofl:

33 strokes saved off my round still makes me crap though :). Couple of screen shots of a couple of particularly bad rounds.

I will be happy if overall I save 10 at the moment.

One of my better 9 hole rounds

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 14.44.33.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 14.44.33.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 14.45.12.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 14.45.12.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a course lesson but just 6 holes, parred the first 4 and bogied the other 2, good to play well but probebly been better if I played my normal rubbish and learnt more.Good idea though and I enjoyed it.

Played Leeds Castle earlier in thr summer and its stunning place to play.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
£120 for a course lesson ! Well there's 1 pro whose not struggling, should be added to other thread "how much do pros earn"
You must've been given a free club after as well 🤔
However, if it works for you, and it seems that it will then it's money well spent.
Putting into context people pay that for a new/used club which makes little to no difference.
Here's to improving 👍

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty much all of this info is covered in every set of videos ever.

Go to YouTube and search.

Chipping for beginners.
Distance control putting.

Clubbing up and down for greens above you and below will also be in many videos but it is usually something people catch onto pretty quickly.

No doubt the exercise was helpful and fun but a lot of the info is basic and freely available.

Even if you only watched the videos on the golf monthly website, you would have gleamed all of this already and more.

Oohmeoldbacksknackered

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Chipping for beginners.

Clubbing up and down for greens above you and below will also be in many videos but it is usually something people catch onto pretty quickly.

No doubt the exercise was helpful and fun but a lot of the info is basic and freely available.

Even if you only watched the videos on the golf monthly website, you would have gleamed all of this already and more.

Smug git 😛😉

It's all well and good thinking that you do something, but quite another when someone you trust spots something mid round.
You can watch something and understand it, but having a pro physically showing where to put your feet, judging how tightly you are gripping helping you feel the difference in weight transfer etc is when you start learning it.
Over time I bet a good relationship with a pro teaches to a higher level than days watching videos ever will.

Congrats to the OP on money well spent.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"The first thing he suggested was a 9 iron and a putting stroke, AWESOME! why had no one shown me this before? "

It was this line that prompted me to type what I did. :ears:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
"The first thing he suggested was a 9 iron and a putting stroke, AWESOME! why had no one shown me this before? "

I'm barely a beginner but in an hour playing lesson our pro picked up on enough things to help my game and, believe me, I look at more than enough golf utube clips

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am not bashing on course lessons. its just the things you can learn when starting this game is widely available and can free the pro up to either refine these techniques or show you something else.

Its akin to reading 'French for beginners' before going to actual French lessons.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am not bashing on course lessons. its just the things you can learn when starting this game is widely available and can free the pro up to either refine these techniques or show you something else.

Its akin to reading 'French for beginners' before going to actual French lessons.

I don't disagree but course management learned early enough is a valuable asset too

Oohmeoldbacksknackered

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I know what you mean but I was thinking why didn't the first pro talk about these things.
I think it proves that not all pros are created equal. Now he's found one on the right wavelength hopefully he'll go on leaps and bounds.
😇

G

guest100718

ive been thinking of an on course lesson, are they woth doing? altough if they saw me today theyd probably tell me to quit :\
:

Gentabout

Medal Winner
Visit site
It so nice that it is friendly round here on this forum and beginners made to feel so welcome by those experts with a low handicap. :rofl:

£120 for a course lesson ! Well there's 1 pro whose not struggling, should be added to other thread "how much do pros earn"
You must've been given a free club after as well 樂
However, if it works for you, and it seems that it will then it's money well spent.
Putting into context people pay that for a new/used club which makes little to no difference.
Here's to improving 

This lesson was £60 not £120, The Pro I've been using previously is based at a range so therefor to do an on course lesson has to go somewhere else, this all takes more time and cuts in to lessons he could be doing on the range and as he charges £40 a lesson normally seems fair enough.

Chipping for beginners.

Ive watched lots of videos over the last year but have not really felt they have given me what I needed somehow, there is also such a thing as information overload and I find remembering all the different things and putting them all in to the right context whilst on the course difficult. The clubbing up and down thing I did understand but as I mentioned above in my original post I was overdoing this as with my swing and ball flight being high I am not effected as much, this was the point I was trying to make. Having a Pro actually seeing what you are doing on the course is a lot different from on the range.

Smug git 

It's all well and good thinking that you do something, but quite another when someone you trust spots something mid round.
You can watch something and understand it, but having a pro physically showing where to put your feet, judging how tightly you are gripping helping you feel the difference in weight transfer etc is when you start learning it.
Over time I bet a good relationship with a pro teaches to a higher level than days watching videos ever will.

Congrats to the OP on money well spent.

Thank you.

Maybe because of the way I started some of the basics were missed I don't know, the fact I've not been playing at a club with all the experts has probably not helped. All those little tips and help would have been a great help I'm sure. Also I think when you are new to this game there is a lot of information download and trying to retain all of it whilst learning all of the finer details is never going to happen. I have felt for the last 3 to 4 months or so that something was missing from my skills set but I didn't know exactly what so asking for help or seeking out answers was not exactly easy, trust me I've been trying.

I know what you mean but I was thinking why didn't the first pro talk about these things.
I think it proves that not all pros are created equal. Now he's found one on the right wavelength hopefully he'll go on leaps and bounds.


I think had I been on a course or with a pro at a course I'm sure things would have been different, my existing guy has been working on my swing and strike and this has been very good. He has not been teaching me how to play the course more how to hit the ball, maybe I wasn't asking him the right questions.

ive been thinking of an on course lesson, are they woth doing? altough if they saw me today theyd probably tell me to quit :\
:

I would say it has been the best money that I have spent on this game, I played yesterday and even though I did not put in a great score I did feel so much more confident when setting up to the ball and around the green my game was massively improved.