Kidney Removal

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know the recovery time, but a mate of mine had a kidney removed about 30 years ago.
He's never had any problems and lives a normal life, and can drink me under the table :eek:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 18 months of bouncing in and out of hospital and after 4 different procedures, the doc has finally decided to remove my right kidney on 15 May.

Anyone had this done , or know anyone that has?

They quote the regulation 6 weeks recovery time, but I need to know how that relates to Golf.

6 weeks is bang on the date of the old Pharts meet, which I really want to play in, but I need to be realistic.

Any medics, physio's , sports therapists out there who can help

Cheers

A close colleague of mine in his mid-30's has just returned to work after successfully donating a kidney to a family member. Both are in fine health and everything went very well.

He was off for 4 weeks (non-manual job) and came back tentatively sitting down etc. He first drove around 3 weeks after his op. He his moving well now (5 weeks later) but is still tender and won't do anything overbearing as he 'feels' it.

If you were playing walking football, you'd have a chance, but it'll have to be some recovery for a round of golf I reckon.

Good luck though, the care you'll receive if anything like my colleague has, will be superb :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you not going listen to your doctor, at least listen to weakened (sic) warriors on a golf forum. :D

I had a hernia operation when I was 19, done nowt for 2 weeks, then played golf twice a day......and I still get pains from it. I was 19.....you must be about 49:whistle:, so speak from a more mature angle.

Its great that you don't want to let people down on a meet (bloody refreshing, actually, as many people drop out at the drop of a hat), but long term its all for the best. They will understand, and better than putting yourself under pressure to play, when you know it could be damaging your health.

Also, the organiser, may also feel awkward - something else to consider, I know I would.

I have a mate who has been on dialysis for 20 years, no barrel of laughs.

Best of British.......and European (for balance:D) with the op.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't offer ant worthwhile advice, but I will be thinking of you.
I hope all goes well but you MUST listen to your medics, they are the experts.
:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Phil it often amazes me how golfers facing a major medical procedure wonder when they can play golf again.
as said sort it first you ,will have plenty of time left for golf .
Your health comes first end off.
A lot depends on you , how strong you are before the op, how quick you recover.
All people are different and recover at different rates just don't do anything that might set you back ,it's just not worth it.
Hope it goes well.

If you not going listen to your doctor, at least listen to weakened (sic) warriors on a golf forum. :D

I had a hernia operation when I was 19, done nowt for 2 weeks, then played golf twice a day......and I still get pains from it. I was 19.....you must be about 49:whistle:, so speak from a more mature angle.

Its great that you don't want to let people down on a meet (bloody refreshing, actually, as many people drop out at the drop of a hat), but long term its all for the best. They will understand, and better than putting yourself under pressure to play, when you know it could be damaging your health.

Also, the organiser, may also feel awkward - something else to consider, I know I would.

I have a mate who has been on dialysis for 20 years, no barrel of laughs.

Best of British.......and European (for balance:D) with the op.

These 2 posts sum up my view!

Hopefully, there's plenty of golf left in you! Make sure it's enjoyable by getting properly fit before you restart!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Best of luck Phil, hope all goes well!

ps......does this mean we can swear like troopers whilst you are out of action? :whistle:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Had a chat with the consultant and 2 physios , consultant is a keen golfer.
If it was open surgery then basically no chance at all.
But he reckons that 3-4 weeks is realistic for a keyhole procedure where an organ is being removed rather than repaired, as they are just sealing off loose ends. Muscle damage is minimal as they are probing around the muscles rather than through them.

So I will keep my name in the hat for the Pharts Meet,which is 6 weeks after the Op, but will obviously monitor progress and withdraw if things don't go according to plan.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and kind words 👍

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a chat with the consultant and 2 physios , consultant is a keen golfer.
If it was open surgery then basically no chance at all.
But he reckons that 3-4 weeks is realistic for a keyhole procedure where an organ is being removed rather than repaired, as they are just sealing off loose ends. Muscle damage is minimal as they are probing around the muscles rather than through them.

So I will keep my name in the hat for the Pharts Meet,which is 6 weeks after the Op, but will obviously monitor progress and withdraw if things don't go according to plan.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and kind words 👍

Good luck with the op and recovery Phil.

I had open surgery on 15 December and was back playing at the end of the following January.
I went back carefully though - went out with just a putter for nine holes with a mate. Next time with a 7 iron and putter for 9 holes.

Even if you're not able to complete a full 18, how about just going out with a half set and walk round with the lads just for the exercise and of course the "Banter".

I'm sure everyone will be ok with that and support you all the way!

:thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
All the very best Phil. :thup: Perhaps explain to your doctor you only ever complete about 9 holes when you play a round.;)

When I get to your age I imagine I will start falling apart.:whistle:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Im a rather baby faced 55 , so just in "old Pharts" territory,

I am still impressed by Richards mullet , almost Michael Boltonesque, achieved with only minor surgery I understand,
Rich has all his albums and is possibly his greatest fan :whoo::cheers:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Im a rather baby faced 55 , so just in "old Pharts" territory,

I am still impressed by Richards mullet , almost Michael Boltonesque, achieved with only minor surgery I understand,
Rich has all his albums and is possibly his greatest fan :whoo::cheers:

I can't believe you're younger than me!:eek: But only just:ears:

It must be all those broadsheets you delivered in the rich southeast as a boy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Standing from a distance my advice would be pull out now, give them chance to get a replacement and more importantly give yourself time to recover and just get back on a course when you feel 100% rather than rush it, feel crap, play crap and potentially do some damage. At the end of it all though hope it goes well and get well soon

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
After 18 months of bouncing in and out of hospital and after 4 different procedures, the doc has finally decided to remove my right kidney on 15 May.

Anyone had this done , or know anyone that has?

They quote the regulation 6 weeks recovery time, but I need to know how that relates to Golf.

6 weeks is bang on the date of the old Pharts meet, which I really want to play in, but I need to be realistic.

Any medics, physio's , sports therapists out there who can help

Cheers

Phil:

Sorry to hear about the need for the procedure. My advice having been through the wars or so the last year is follow medical advice. I have a friend ,a former jockey who donated a kidney, he was back riding within 3 months. And after a couple of weeks he said he felt no ill effects. He is an older guy. too.

But just follow what your medical people say and you will be great. Good luck with it all!