Kidney Removal

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
After 18 months of bouncing in and out of hospital and after 4 different procedures, the doc has finally decided to remove my right kidney on 15 May.

Anyone had this done , or know anyone that has?

They quote the regulation 6 weeks recovery time, but I need to know how that relates to Golf.

6 weeks is bang on the date of the old Pharts meet, which I really want to play in, but I need to be realistic.

Any medics, physio's , sports therapists out there who can help

Cheers

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't help you with kidney removal, but I can say my 23 yr old daughter who has just had to have some of her bowel removed, has been signed off for 8 weeks, and is under instruction by the consultant not to lift even a kettle until after the full period of time.
I would suggest any attempt at golf until after a full healing time isn't worth it.
Hope it goes well.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I would say it's massively unlikely you'll be able to golf that soon due to the location of the surgery. All the best.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Having worked for several years in a dialysis unit I've met a number of people with renal issues, making friends with many of them. And I often golf with a couple of nephrologists... that said I'm not clinically trained but come from a medical physics background.

You might be fit enough for a round by then but it's pushing it. Will you be able to play on consecutive days? I'd put money on it being a no.

Ideally, you need to be (re)building the strength back up in your lower back, including ensuring the scar tissue in the muscle is supple enough. That isn't going to happen overnight, which clearly means you should be working up to that over a period of time.

Tight timescale...tough decision....good luck.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't worry bout the golf Frag. Be plenty more of that when you fit and healthy. You don't want to set yourself back. At our age healing takes that little bit longer

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thanks Brian
The whole point of the keyhole is that they go around the muscles rather than through them, therefore muscle damage is minimised, the cut is about 6 or 7 Cm rather than 10 to 12 inches

Having a stent put in today, I'll ask the consultant as I know he is a golfer.

What I don't want to do is pull out at the last minute and leave people in the lurch.
Want to get the info from all sources and see how realistic I am being

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
my brother has had a kidney removed ,he suffered kidney stones for ages until it was decided to take it away.
i wouldnt be banking on playing golf at the grandad meet.

D

Deleted member 16999

Regardless of everything else mate, take it easy and make a full recovery, best wishes

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look, it's your health here. The op is booked in for a reason. Have it done. Recuperate as ordered by the Doc's. Play when your body has recovered completely AND NOT BEFORE.

Good Luck.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thanks Brian
The whole point of the keyhole is that they go around the muscles rather than through them, therefore muscle damage is minimised, the cut is about 6 or 7 Cm rather than 10 to 12 inches

Having a stent put in today, I'll ask the consultant as I know he is a golfer.

What I don't want to do is pull out at the last minute and leave people in the lurch.
Want to get the info from all sources and see how realistic I am being

Phil if you have to pull out at the last minute, you have to pull out. People understand that as we get older things fall off, or they grow on. The disappointment will be yours which is understandable. No one else will feel you have let them down. The bottom line is that after years of problems do you want to risk further setbacks for the sake of a couple of games. If you did play and it went tits up, would love to be a fly on the wall when Missis Frag bends your ear.

Get well soon me man.

D

Deleted member 21258

How it all goes well, all the best.

Never had a kidney removed but I did have my gall bladder removed a couple of years ago(wake up call for me, life is so short).

I had keyhole surgery as well and it all went well, so did not progress to a open surgery. Very worrying any operation.a

After I had it done, it feels like you have been in a massive fight and taken a right old beating in the lower body area tbh. I would not have liked to have swung a club for a couple of months, you just feel really tender for quite a while afterwards, like your inners have been messed about with. Everyone is different and recovery differently but with golf being such a movement of upper body be careful. I was back to work within 2 days tho(a few hours and then full time within 4 days).

However hope it all goes again.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Phil, I am recovering from an open hernia op and consequently not golfing.
Very frustrating but I think you will know when to get the clubs out again,6 weeks seems a little optimistic.
I have managed some putting and chippin but have walked a few holes with my pals just to scratch my golfing itch!
Best of luck

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keyhole surgery is amazing. My wife had a full hysterctomy via keyhole, and she was out of hospital in 2 days and healed a lot quicker than she had been cut open. You will still need to rest up and let your body heal, but keyhole means so much less trauma for your body.
again, good luck

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Phil it often amazes me how golfers facing a major medical procedure wonder when they can play golf again.
as said sort it first you ,will have plenty of time left for golf .
Your health comes first end off.
A lot depends on you , how strong you are before the op, how quick you recover.
All people are different and recover at different rates just don't do anything that might set you back ,it's just not worth it.
Hope it goes well.