Shot Vision App

Sekiro

Visit site
Has anyone else tried the Shot Vision App? A friend recommended it to me over the weekend and I gave it a bit of a test this morning when at the range and it seems to be a nice little app. The basic app is free and then if you want the more in depth set of data it’s £6 per month or £40 per year.

The app is easy to setup (although I’d advise a mini-tripod to make it easier), you select your club, position the phones camera so it can see the ball using the alignment tool and that’s it, once setup the app will confirm that it is ready and away you go. After each shot the app makes an audible beep to confirm the shot has registered and then you get a readout of the data which is also displayed on screen (you can wear headphones if your stats are as bad as mine and dont want everyone on the range to know you just carried your 5 iron only 136 yards....).

Once you are done you just confirm that the session / club are complete and then you can either pick another club or sit and analyse your data, this includes everything from club head and ball speed, spin, launch angle, height, AOA, Carry and total distance. I did a trial over 15 shots (1 bucket of range balls) using my 5 iron and it was interesting to see my actual data and it should give me some insight into areas for improvement and up-to-date distances for my clubs.

I guess the only bit left to cover are the downsides, and there aren’t many, the first and most obvious is that you need to set it up and go through the process each time you pick up your phone and change clubs (hopefully they make a watch app so I can change without touching the phone), beyond this my first attempt at using the app it seemed intermittent and wasn’t capturing my shots, although when I did the full bucket after warming up everything registered fine so it might have just been my poor setting up that caused it. The final thing would be accuracy, I don’t have the resource to see how accurate this is and it would need testing by someone that knows their stats or could run it in parallel with a more sophisticated launch monitor.

Sure it’s not a full Trackman but it a free app or £6/£40 for all the additional data, imo that’s nothing considering and it’s a decent little purchase. Strangely I had multiple people come and ask what I was using to track my stats and everyone who saw it thought it was a great a little app.

Direct Link:- Shot Vision Website / Apple Store Link

77CCD9EE-6B32-49BC-81C7-3C3C97E93421.jpeg963535CF-EC60-4D6E-B33F-676C32D098D5.jpeg31087512-4891-4B42-8EF0-7FBB767A0FE9.jpeg8D5F283D-0592-4765-B716-EC7184350486.jpeg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only issue with this or any device including TopTracer is the fact that you're hitting range balls which are reduced distance (in the most part) and how much by can vary from range to range. How do you factor that in.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only issue with this or any device including TopTracer is the fact that you're hitting range balls which are reduced distance (in the most part) and how much by can vary from range to range. How do you factor that in.
The app has no idea if you are hitting a range ball or a premium ball, same as most of these devices. It is using swing speed (mainly) and some kind of algorithm to work out the distance. I suspect the distance will be the same regardless of type of ball

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is with Rick’s video is he is using the base line as GC quad... both are calculating distance. The key information is ball speed, if they were tight on those then this is good to go. By tight I mean within 1 mph of each other.
I use a G80 and I am really only interested in my ball and club head speed ... to the end goal of improving my efficiency. I only use carry data as the roll out calculation is just a percentage fiddle. I know what I need to carry to be creating opportunities on my course and that’s why or what I work on. This does translate, because I carry the traps but depending on the moisture or the bounce or lie the total distance will vary significantly.

Swilt170571

Visit site
Just started using this and really enjoying it in back garden whilst we’re in lockdown. Only downside I have is my battery drains so fast. Anyone else find this an issue?