Keith Pelley's Last Week. Success or Failure?

Golfnut1957

Visit site

As per the title. This is Keith Pelleys last week as head honcho at the DPWT and the question is has it been a successful tenure, a disaster or something in between.

I'm still thinking about it, but I think he has done as good a job as could be done under the circumstances.

Visit site
He's done a good job, the tour is still strong, watching the tournaments around the world is good viewing and the top 10 players have the aim of going to the PGA Tour as and when (they come back to play which says a lot). The advantage that the DP World Tour has is it's variation, something that has been retained and enhanced. Keith Pelley can enjoy his time back in Canada knowing he has kept the tour relevant. The next step should be more Australian and Japanese involvement.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
He’s sold it out to the PGAT - what was once the home of some of the worlds finest golfers is now a feeder tour.

Hopefully the framework agreement re-establishes some balance and the tour can become increasingly relevant for top level world class golf.

Visit site
Selling it out to an organisation that cares deeply about the history and traditions of the game is acceptable. Jumping in to bed with a murderous regime who has no interest in anything other than deflecting the world's attention away from their suppression of free speech is not. Golf should not slide in to the cesspit that football and boxing have entered.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Selling it out to an organisation that cares deeply about the history and traditions of the game is acceptable. Jumping in to bed with a murderous regime who has no interest in anything other than deflecting the world's attention away from their suppression of free speech is not. Golf should not slide in to the cesspit that football and boxing have entered.

This argument just doesn't stand up at all - the worlds press and onlookers have never had a better opportunity to justify questioning the actions of the Saudi's on human rights. We can't do it on here of course due to forum rules, but for me, I can't see the logic in that position.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
He’s sold it out to the PGAT - what was once the home of some of the worlds finest golfers is now a feeder tour.

Hopefully the framework agreement re-establishes some balance and the tour can become increasingly relevant for top level world class golf.

Was Pelley running the ET 30 years ago?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Time will tell. It really depends on whether the influx of European players on the pga come back over for key tournaments and strengthen the DP tour standings.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Time will tell. It really depends on whether the influx of European players on the pga come back over for key tournaments and strengthen the DP tour standings.
It's going to be interesting this. I'm assuming that there will be another 10 getting cards for the PGA Tour at the end of this year. If last year's 10 manage to keep their cards this year, that will be 20, plus the Europeans already there. How long will it be before the journeymen of America who are losing spots to players off the DPWT start to create a fuss?

In the same vein will Americans be happy with the Corn Ferry or will they start wandering over to Europe.

wjemather

Visit site
It's going to be interesting this. I'm assuming that there will be another 10 getting cards for the PGA Tour at the end of this year. If last year's 10 manage to keep their cards this year, that will be 20, plus the Europeans already there. How long will it be before the journeymen of America who are losing spots to players off the DPWT start to create a fuss?

In the same vein will Americans be happy with the Corn Ferry or will they start wandering over to Europe.
Not just journeymen, but rising potential stars who haven't had the good fortune to jump straight to the top table and are having to work their way there the hard way.

There are already complaints that Korn Ferry Tour graduates are having to Monday qualify for tournaments because the DP World Tour 10 have higher priority ranking. There is talk of bigger fields, but given the tour routinely fails to get 144 player round 18 holes in one day, I don't see how that is a viable option unless they go to two courses over the first two rounds. Offering players tour cards without being able to guarantee they'll actually get into tournaments is unsustainable.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Yep. It’s will all settle in about 5yrs but for me they missed a trick now that they’re a for profit organisation. I’d personally cut the pga field in half and play a women’s tournament alongside in alternate tees. I’d much rather see the top of both fields than the crud that regularly miss the cut.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On the positive side he stabilised the tour financially, ensured it was effectively a world tour and introduced some different formats. He is also to be praised for promoting mixed events and disabled inclusion.

On the negative side he has clearly positioned the DPWT to be a feeder tour to the PGA. He has also sold of some of the crown jewels (eg part of European Tour Productions), though he may have had no choice in this matter.

As far as the relationship with LIV is concerned, he has made his bet and time will tell if he backed the right horse.

I was struck when watching the latest Full Swing episode on the Ryder Cup how many players were full time on the PGAT. Captain plus 11 by my count. I accept several players were products of the US college system but it does illustrate the reality of what Pelly was dealing with.