Keeping a played courses journal/diary - what is available?

Boomy

Visit site
Being a bit of a numbers/log nerd I’ve started a log of the courses I’ve played, and when it was (roughly for some as it was many years ago) At present I’ve started it in an A-Z notebook but wondered if anyone had found anything specific for logging courses played? Perhaps an app or maybe a journal of some kind?

I just think 1. My memory can be terrible so it would be great to have a log of courses and 2. Good to look back through in the future.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on what you want to journal - if it's just played course, score and a bullet point then are you better buying one of the golf course guide books that lists/reviews all UK courses and then writing comments in that.

Use the back page or additional paper for overseas courses.

Using the guide has the additional benefit of giving some options on what to play next, and if you're bothered will also probably have a list of top 100 in there (or use golf monthly for that part).

Not sure how regularly they are being updated but I expect you can still buy relatively recent ones and there aren't many courses opening or closing over the years.

Boomy

Visit site
Depends on what you want to journal - if it's just played course, score and a bullet point then are you better buying one of the golf course guide books that lists/reviews all UK courses and then writing comments in that.

Use the back page or additional paper for overseas courses.

Using the guide has the additional benefit of giving some options on what to play next, and if you're bothered will also probably have a list of top 100 in there (or use golf monthly for that part).

Not sure how regularly they are being updated but I expect you can still buy relatively recent ones and there aren't many courses opening or closing over the years.

Good shout, thank you ? I seem to remember there used to be an AA GB&I golf course book which listed them all in ? I’ll have a look and see if they still do it, or if there is something similar.

Not wanting to keep any great detail, just where I’ve played and the year(s) I played it. Like you say it would also act as a planner or suggestion guide for places to visit.

Boomy

Visit site
@Sports_Fanatic ive had a look about and it would appear full course listing books are a thing of the past with the tinternet taking over ? However I found these two on eBay, the AA one I’ve had previously, the GW one (sorry GM) has a lot more courses in it so may infact be better for what I want. The GW one is from 2001 though.. the AA 2012 ⛳

666C2315-B72B-4B88-8832-DF728B4DA010.jpeg

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I used to buy the AA Guides pictured above.. I wonder if they still do them?

About 1989, a group of us from Nationwide B/Socs Golf Society were sat in the Bar at Burford GC and the subject of how many courses we'd all played came up. I am pretty sure I'd played about 8 or 9 back then. One guy had an Excel spreadsheet of all the courses he'd played. (he was in the IT Team and this was all pretty new then!!)

So, I started on then too on my Nationwide PC... I stayed working there for 20 years, they file travelled to! I still have it! Only 2 columns, the course and the county/country.

Right now, I am up to 409 courses worldwide. Can I get to 500 before I am 60? I wonder? :)

Boomy

Visit site
I used to buy the AA Guides pictured above.. I wonder if they still do them?

About 1989, a group of us from Nationwide B/Socs Golf Society were sat in the Bar at Burford GC and the subject of how many courses we'd all played came up. I am pretty sure I'd played about 8 or 9 back then. One guy had an Excel spreadsheet of all the courses he'd played. (he was in the IT Team and this was all pretty new then!!)

So, I started on then too on my Nationwide PC... I stayed working there for 20 years, they file travelled to! I still have it! Only 2 columns, the course and the county/country.

Right now, I am up to 409 courses worldwide. Can I get to 500 before I am 60? I wonder? :)

It looks like the last AA course guide produced was that one I’ve ordered from 2012 - shame really as they are good to thumb through for inspiration rather than being glued to a ? phone/tablet/monitor!