KBS Tour Stiff Shafts.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking a chance on some second hand irons which are Currently at a reasonable price.
Having never played KBS shafts I'm looking for info as to how the Tour Stiff play?
Ive only really used S300 & XP95 previously.
Any info welcome :thup:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking a chance on some second hand irons which are Currently at a reasonable price.
Having never played KBS shafts I'm looking for info as to how the Tour Stiff play?

I really didn't like them the first time I tried them but am now a fan of them, particularly the S+ ones in the Cobra irons I've got. The S ones feel a little lighter to me than the ones I've got (may not be but feel it).

"Nicer" feel (to me) than S300 or PX but that is subjective

Probably not much help that!! :rofl:

Which irons you looking at?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had them in 3 sets of irons now Dave and they are the smoothest shaft for my swing I felt. Not as harsh as both the S300 or PX5.5 where I felt you had to really hit at both.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had them in 3 sets of irons now Dave and they are the smoothest shaft for my swing I felt. Not as harsh as both the S300 or PX5.5 where I felt you had to really hit at both.

Far better description than I managed, cheers Val :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

They launched a bit too high for me in comparison to the S300

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks fellas.
Good to hear that Val, you probably swing it at a similar speed to me and I feel exactly the same about the other shafts mentioned.
S300 are a little to harsh for me and the Pxs just feel lifeless.

Ive tried the s+ previously Iain in a set of Amp cell pros, it really liked it, the ball just wanted to go straight but in fairness it was probably a bit too stiff for me.
You'll probably have to downgrade to stiff when you hit 40,you won't be quite as Bendy as you are now :D

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had them in my vega's, very high launch and too light for me, didn't suit my agressive swing
prefer the px 6.5 or my current modus 3 in x-flex

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried them, I don't know where this high launch comes from must be the swing, but found them to be lower launching and great feeling shafts, I've got the tour 90's and it was certainly lower than that.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

KBS Tour shafts are designed to be a better feel alternative to Project X. They tend to have a medium launch and medium penetrating (flattish) flight, so launch a bit higher than S300 but have lower spin. Depends how you hit S300. If you find them a handful, and prefer XP95, then KBS is probably a bit too much for you too. If you can hit S300 fine but want to knock down spin, KBS are worth a try.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Biggest difference was in feel for me. KBS really seemed to kick through impact which was a feeling I didn't like. The KBS has a high balance point which makes the swing weigh lighter.

As for spin rates, for me they were pretty comparable however KBS launched higher and gave less distance that S300.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've used them for 2.5 years.... but new sticks on order will have K-taper 120s.... on fitting swapping between the KBS tour s and the K -taper was evident my dispersion was significantly improved. me and my (coaching) pro (who was fitting but not selling clubs) was that the firm tip in taper over the tour was improvement for me. for info i'm about 86-88mph on a 7 iron and carry my 712 mb 152yds.... new toys will push that up 13-15yds... (winner)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found them to be fragile. My angst ridden bash into the ground shattered the shaft.

Not for the angry.

Just imagining the conversation with the club fitter: "So when I skull one into the bunker and smash it into the ground in anger, it feels a bit whippy. Do you have something stiffer?" :)

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to play with the tour 90 and really liked the KBS feel....just got bog standard Ping shafts now that don't seem to have the same 'punch' as the tour 90s.

The price on the upgrade was more than I wanted to pay so just stuck with the stock options....