Justin Thomas

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I looked for it earlier but no joy which is strange given the enormity described here

Just watched the highlight show.....

His short putt was deflected by a spike mark and didn't drop he pushed it down with putter head three times with far more force than needed but didn't damage the green from what i could see

Commentators didn't mention it

It was probably more of an annoyance to him given the announcement last week

Not great behavior but not the scale of carnage described either

G

guest100718

sounds like a whole load of nothing then really. I got the impression he had hacked the green to pieces

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me the driver he let slip from his hands that near hit the fans was far worse and could have hurt someone, I think the PGA should have a word over that, I reckon a driver to the mush would be canny sore!!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I looked for it earlier but no joy which is strange given the enormity described here

His short putt was deflected by a spike mark and didn't drop he pushed it down with putter head three times with far more force than needed but didn't damage the green from what i could see

Cant be that then as the commentators were instantly very cross and ashamed for him.

D

Deleted member 15344

Must be a different episode because the live commentators were appalled at it and said that it's very lucky that they were the last group. Also don't think anyone suggested "carnage"

He smacked the green with his putter with quite a bit of force.

It's not a banning offence but fines and warning should come in until the next time he does it.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can recall when Rory both snapped his club , toothache and threw the club in the water he was criticised for it

Thomas stepped it up a level with the smackin the putter numerous times on the green possibly causing damage and then launching the club into the crowd. If Rory had done either he would have faced the same response.

Does anyone think it's acceptable behaviour ?

It's dick head behaviour of the highest order as is snapping clubs, throwing clubs, smashing bunkers and tee box markers.

However I like to see a bit wild passion at times

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site

Don't know which Channel you were watching but on Sky (live) it was certainly commented on as being totally inappropriate.

Like has been said, if you or I did that at our club there would be repercussions.....and this was not a heavy handed push down of a spike mark, it was several slams of the putter into the green, no doubt doing far more damage than the previous spike mark!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can recall when Rory both snapped his club , toothache and threw the club in the water he was criticised for it

Thomas stepped it up a level with the smackin the putter numerous times on the green possibly causing damage and then launching the club into the crowd. If Rory had done either he would have faced the same response.

Does anyone think it's acceptable behaviour ?

Did he really LAUNCH the club into the crowd tho Phil?
Don't be a drama queen 👍🏻

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Letting go of a golf club, especially on a tee box is a very dangerous practice.

He should be rightly condemned for this. It really is a poxy thing to do. Nothing more than a habit and a bad one at that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah my feed doesn't come from Sky, I think its the international feed from the golf channel

American commentary so its possible they are more lenient with his actions or dare i say even a bias towards Thomas (but then I'd have to also acknowledge that a UK based commentary team could have a bias against Thomas given Rory was in the same group)

Anyway his putter head was 6-8 inches off the ground when he thumped the flat underside down three times, way harder than it needed to be to flatten the spike mark but not excavating either, and as I said no visible damage on tv (& we saw pitch marks all day so the greens were soft enough) and no one I can see so far is reporting it (even Sky) so while its not his finest moment on a course I don't think its as bad as made out

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Amazing how these trends spread. Nothing deliberate I'm sure but Hideki has been letting his club slip into one hand for a while now off the tee on some shots. Now Rory and Justin. One of the worst for bad manners has to be Pat Perez who let's a wild one go into the crowd with no warning to the gallery all of the time.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Amazing how these trends spread. Nothing deliberate I'm sure but Hideki has been letting his club slip into one hand for a while now off the tee on some shots. Now Rory and Justin. One of the worst for bad manners has to be Pat Perez who let's a wild one go into the crowd with no warning to the gallery all of the time.

Hideki Matsuyama seems to do it every shot now, regardless of the result too!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Hideki Matsuyama seems to do it every shot now, regardless of the result too!

Not good when you've got money on him & you think he's just hit a bad drive,due to his reaction.
Only to see it rolling 300+ down the middle of the fairway.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He pushed a few spike marks down that clearly knocked his putt offline and accidently let go of a club that didn't threaten anyone's life as seems to be suggested.

But once again carry on slating a young lad following his dream 👍