Justin Thomas dumped

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
RL is a LGBTQ supporter so no matter who on their payroll would have said the word JT uttered they would have been in hot water.
https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/world-of-rl/polo-with-a-purpose/pride/708013

On the other hand with all the support he has had on this forum is there not a window of opportunity for another retailer to snap him up as their ambassador?

It's a pity they don't use a manufacturing base that fits with their company marketing ethos. It might be slightly more believable, rather than a marketing gimmick designed to sell more shirts.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For all those calling RL hypocritical, surely, given their public support of LGBT, it would be more hypocritical for them to continue to give sackfuls of dollars to someone who very publicly used a homophobic slur to act as a brand ambassador?

As for where their clothes are manufactured, the vast majority (if not all) of their direct competitors will be using the same locations as they are so cheap. Unfortunately in manufacturing, it's a race to the bottom in order to drive costs down. It wasn't long ago that Apple were being castigated for using slave labour in China.

At the end of the day, RL have a choice who they employ as a brand ambassador. From an economic viewpoint, they don't have the same freedom of choice where they manufacture.

D

Deleted member 1147

There are alternative "low cost" manufacturing locations that don't lock folk up for being gay.....
Or they could just accept reduced profits by making their garments at locations which are more akin to their supposed ethics.
The amount they charge I’m sure they could still do well without the massive markups.

Indeed, just as foodies are now more bothered with food provenance, sustainability & ethically produced foods, maybe people would prefer to buy their shirts from an ethical clothing company?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Or they could just accept reduced profits by making their garments at locations which are more akin to their supposed ethics.
The amount they charge I’m sure they could still do well without the massive markups.

I'm sure their shareholders would be delighted if they did that.

As for alternative low-cost options, even if they don't discriminate against gays, they are just as likely to commit other equally abhorrent human rights violations, be it racial, political or whatever.

I'm not defending RL here, just pointing out that big business will act in the best interests of their business. Expecting them to be holier than thou is unrealistic.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s be frank

Anyone looking to any international capitalist corporation for guidance on morality needs to give their head a wobble.

It’s like Starbucks putting rainbows on mugs. The only thing they care about is shifting more gear to punters.

Mind you. It is funny watching some megacorps businesses get it completely wrong. The Gillette toxic masculinity adverts were comically woke. Really hurt their profits too I believe ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Let’s be frank

Anyone looking to any international capitalist corporation for guidance on morality needs to give their head a wobble.

It’s like Starbucks putting rainbows on mugs. The only thing they care about is shifting more gear to punters.

Mind you. It is funny watching some megacorps businesses get it completely wrong. The Gillette toxic masculinity adverts were comically woke. Really hurt their profits too I believe ?

spot on.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This would have been a more sensible and progressive solution for all parties involved.

JT in rainbow polo's for the rest of the season!

They love it don’t they.

“Let’s tar and feather the poor sod whilst we walk behind him, ringing the bell of shame”

This re-correction / re-education theme of today’s world serves no purpose except one.

It makes moderate people who previously were easy going about things, start to take a stronger view on the subject. I’d wager that view is more right leaning than left.

Sick of being told that they are horrible human beings because they ask questions and dint just accept the word of the extremely vocal minority’s baying for blood.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before the JT supporting Snowdrops lose any more of their precious petals, they perhaps need to consider how golf, perhaps, can learn from other sports to see how to treat audible obscenities.

Fines & penalty points/shots are the way to go, though I don't think even tennis has had to deal with a JT type slur..... would perhaps, like Djokovic's line-judges incident, be an automatic DEFAULT, however 'important' you are........... Oh heck, that's more petals gone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

Before the JT supporting Snowdrops lose any more of their precious petals, they perhaps need to consider how golf, perhaps, can learn from other sports to see how to treat audible obscenities.

Fines & penalty points/shots are the way to go, though I don't think even tennis has had to deal with a JT type slur..... would perhaps, like Djokovic's line-judges incident, be an automatic DEFAULT, however 'important' you are........... Oh heck, that's more petals gone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your generic judgements towards “golf fans” are as bad as what Kaz was doing

Plenty of sports players swear at themselves and nothing happens , ffs some sportsmen and and ladies swear at officials and other players - where is your high horse then ?

I haven’t seen one person “condone” any homophobic actions or indeed condone JT using the slur word towards himself

There are a number of people who believe that the “punishment” should fit any crime

There are some who are looking to crucify JT for this when it’s clearly going way and beyond what is acceptable level of sanctions

He apologised unreservedly and may well end up paying a fine - he has lost a multi million dollar contract from a sponser ( who themselves have questionable morals )

What further sanctions do you want to see applied to JT to satisfy your demands and the blood thirst for punishment

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your generic judgements towards “golf fans” are as bad as what Kaz was doing

Plenty of sports players swear at themselves and nothing happens , ffs some sportsmen and and ladies swear at officials and other players - where is your high horse then ?

I haven’t seen one person “condone” any homophobic actions or indeed condone JT using the slur word towards himself

There are a number of people who believe that the “punishment” should fit any crime

There are some who are looking to crucify JT for this when it’s clearly going way and beyond what is acceptable level of sanctions

He apologised unreservedly and may well end up paying a fine - he has lost a multi million dollar contract from a sponser ( who themselves have questionable morals )

What further sanctions do you want to see applied to JT to satisfy your demands and the blood thirst for punishment
WRONG!!..... You're WRONG again Phil. Instead of accusing people why not start & look at solutions to this sort of unacceptable behaviour.
It's the Snowdrops losing their petals that need to stop trying to shift the blame & responsibility.

D

Deleted member 15344

WRONG!!..... You're WRONG again Phil. Instead of accusing people why not start & look at solutions to this sort of unacceptable behaviour.
It's the Snowdrops losing their petals that need to stop trying to shift the blame & responsibility.
Accusing people ?! Calling people “snowdrops” !

Most of your posts on this thread are on an accusation nature toward other posters

No one has shifted any blame or responsibility- the person at the centre of it all took full responsibility for his actions

So I’ll ask you once again what more do you believe JT should do