Justin Thomas dumped

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It perhaps depends on who his other sponsors are, their market, how much traction this story has. I'm surprised this has happened a week afterwards, I would have expected it within days if at all. Does this mean the story is still rolling on in the US?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Poor decision from RL. I can only hope that they have their own house in order if they’re going to push a message like this.
A better message would have been to support him via education/training and then promote him as someone who accepts that he made a mistake, apologised sincerely (IMO), and didnt hide from his responsibility.

D

Deleted member 1147

Poor decision from RL. I can only hope that they have their own house in order if they’re going to push a message like this.
A better message would have been to support him via education/training and then promote him as someone who accepts that he made a mistake, apologised sincerely (IMO), and didnt hide from his responsibility.
Yes, you’d certainly hope they don’t make their garments in countries where homosexuality is illegal-Indonesia for example

Diamond

Visit site
If RL have a strong LGBTQ culture within the organisation, as does the company I work for, then it’s an easy decision. You can hardly have the rainbow flag draped round your offices during pride week and then pay someone a small fortune to be ambassador of your brand whilst using words like.

I would have been interested to know what the reaction would have been if he had used the word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That just strikes me as the forced apology made by a newspaper buried deep within the middle section where no-one looks. The hard and obvious shock of him losing a contract (and money) as a result of using words that are not acceptable has greater effect I feel.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's a business decision based on the level of publicity they can generate, rather than their view of JT. (Probably)

Unless he has been guilty of more than using it as a throw away expletive and, I've absolutely no idea about that!!

I also suspect James has a point about countries of manufacture.

But it will make players think about how they conduct themselves. Or at least, demand the greenside microphones be removed.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Seems a bit opportunistic to me. As mentioned on the other thread there should be a sanction but not one with such obvious double standards.
It also seems like no one can make a mistake anymore

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s not like it’s an equipment or ball sponsor. I’m sure Ralph Lauren have had a tough year and it would suit them cut back on sponsorship, so it’s a good opportunity for them to break with JT. I’m not so sure they would have behaved the same way 18 months ago.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Totally disagree. They will be handing him a lot of money for doing nothing other than to promote their brand, there is no way they will want to be associated with such a negative slip up.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So how long will JT be wearing his own clothes for? Top 3 in the World, likely to win more, probably more majors, normally a good speaker and personable. One slip aside, a sponsors dream.
A couple of weeks?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Obviously only going on media coverage etc, but even with recent slips, I see Justin Thomas as one of the more enlightened tour players? Compared to what seem like alot of redneck right wingers playing golf at the top level?

I doubt many would have been sensitive enough to the issue to address it how he did, quite directly in his immediate post round interview?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sponsors pay money to have a positive role model associated with their brand. If that role model does something that is likely to alienate some of their customer base, it's a common business decision to dump them.

The act of dumping them will also generate what the sponsor sees as positive publicity.