Justin Thomas dumped

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit "final" by RL I think..they've not made it difficult for JT really.
He can go out now and get a contract to wear threads that look a bit better....
And I bet there's an American reporter or two digging through Ralph Lauren's business dealings right now...

I’d be surprised if this part of the story makes a splash in the MSM, seems like if you’re a significant Dem supporter/donator they tend not to go after you. The left in the US is now very much in power, and has been in control of the vast majority of the media for years. MSM journos just print what their readership want to believe so the advertising keeps rolling in. A story about how RL sack someone for homophobia, you’ll see that everywhere. But pointing out RLs hypocrisy doesn’t sit well with those who think they’re without sin and better than everyone else because they hold liberal views. Or those who don’t like to be reminded where everything in their lovely house comes from.

If you’re offended by what JT said thats fair enough, we’re all entitled to draw our own lines. If RL want to drop him, fine their choice. But just do it, coming out with that statement is pitiful when a gay worker making their garments for a pittance could be dragged into the street and flogged or worse - “his actions conflict with the inclusive culture that we strive to uphold”.

Spare me.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ralph Lauren will be the loser from this for such a hypocritical stance given their manufacturing bases and rules in those countries. I know most other brands will source from similar locations but I suspect that RL will suffer a backlash from their actions and likely bring these issues into the mainstream. I could understand it if JT was in any way flippant or lacking sincerity in his apology, but i don't think that is the case. But wokey wokey will have their pound of flesh and instead of turning a misdemeanor into an educationally positive message, they will likely damage the cause

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Must admit I'm hoping to see a more substantive follow up from JT as he was clearly mortified by what he said. Perhaps it'll still come. I think it probably takes a while to process what happened and decide how best to tackle it.

However, it may be that JT thinks the apology was enough and it'll all blow over as most golf fans clearly don't care about homophobia.

So what is it you are expecting Karen?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely there was an air of inevitability about this and RLX only doing what other sponsors are/have considered. I wonder if it will start a domino effect and others will follow suit. It seems a rather final statement by RLX but I am sure there will be a clothing company prepared to take the risk

D

Deleted member 15344

I like JT and was very disappointed by what he said. I believe his apology was sincere so I don't see a lot of point in bans or fines or whatever. But he has gone down a lot in my estimation.

But lots of us have had to deal with homophobic insults through our lives. In particular, we get it when we're young and potentially having a hard enough time understanding who we are and accepting ourselves. Kids dealing with that really don't need to be hearing their idols using the same abusive words as their bullies.

I'd like to see JT doing a bit of soul searching and coming to understand why it is that when he wants to berate himself for a bad shot the word that comes out is a homophobic slur. How has an intelligent and articulate guy like him come to have such a negative view of homosexuality ingrained. If he did that and followed up with a longer interview discussing the issue, I think that would be a great opportunity to bring some good from the situation and maybe encourage a few others to examine their own prejudices.

Sorry but it’s more judgments - surely it’s not good to keep on judging people in such a way ? That’s two posts and two poor judgments .

He apologised for what was clearly a momentarily slip. If he was aiming the slur at someone else then maybe their is a deeper issue to look at

But I don’t think it’s right to keep posting these level of judgments especially when it’s coming from an angle of how people should act and talking about prejudices even more so when your own appear to be coming through.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BBC website

CNN

No mention of RL factories or manufacturing on either BBC or CNN, both thought by some to be lefty and woke.

It is rather naive for any of the right thinking (in more ways than one) people here to suggest that any mercenary company would not have done the same.
^^^^^^^ Is what was expected. Certainly a lot of Snowdrops out early on here.... :oops::oops:

Leftitshort

Visit site
I suppose it's how you view the word used. I see it as no different than using the "n "word.
100%. What would be the response of he’d used a racial slur? There is equivalence IMO. Re Ralph Lauren being manufactured in the places indicated. I get that, hypocrisy in a round about way. I think it’s an over reaction, but there is some PR value in a tough stance.
A more intelligent action would be the one indicated earlier regards joint statement/rehab /learning etc etc.
Unless they were looking to end the relationship anyway?