Justin Thomas dumped

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm sure their shareholders would be delighted if they did that.

As for alternative low-cost options, even if they don't discriminate against gays, they are just as likely to commit other equally abhorrent human rights violations, be it racial, political or whatever.

I'm not defending RL here, just pointing out that big business will act in the best interests of their business. Expecting them to be holier than thou is unrealistic.

But that's exactly what you are doing in giving them a pass as to when they will apply their high moral standards and when they choose to ignore them.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Accusing people ?! Calling people “snowdrops” !

Most of your posts on this thread are on an accusation nature toward other posters

No one has shifted any blame or responsibility- the person at the centre of it all took full responsibility for his actions

So I’ll ask you once again what more do you believe JT should do
WRONG!!..... You're WRONG again Phil. Instead of accusing people why not start & look at solutions to this sort of unacceptable behaviour.
Can't you deal with this Phil??....... & at the same time address those Snowdrops who started accusing folk of being Woky Woky, Snowflakes & bed-wetters etc..... lots of very naive stuff coming out on here.
I look forward to the Golf-bodies finding a solution to this in a similar way to tennis or did you not read that bit? In the meanwhile, I'll leave you with it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whatever it was that JT said to himself - he said to himself. That it was picked up is very unfortunate for JT. But though he was not at that moment being directly derogatory towards any individual or group, he most certainly does have to reflect and ask himself why he chose to call himself what he did - in a pique or fit of frustration. Something inside JT's thinking and background had the word or phrase sitting in the box called 'insult'.

He has to accept and know that it is unacceptable to have such a word or phrase so pigeon-holed, and then move it out of that box into the box called 'Unacceptable - do not use - ever'. But he has to know inside himself - not just intellectually - that he has it in the wrong box.

Like many - I did - many years ago now - come to understand and know that the P word had to be moved out of the box that was called 'Acceptable Description of an Ethnic Minority' into that 'Unacceptable...' box. And there it stays. I wasn't being beaten up that made me move it. It was actually not 'education' about the word per se - I knew what it meant. I just had to deal with my squinty thinking. And that is really much of what JT has to do - he's already done the public admitting wrong bit.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But that's exactly what you are doing in giving them a pass as to when they will apply their high moral standards and when they choose to ignore them.

Have said this a couple of times on here, but I'll say it again. I'm not defending RL, I'm pointing out that big business is always going to do what's best for big business. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm merely pointing out a fact.

Do I think JT has been harshly treated by RL? Yes I do, but at the end of the day, all they care about is their reputation and stock price. I can understand why they have taken that course of action - that's not the same as saying I agree with it.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WRONG!!..... You're WRONG again Phil. Instead of accusing people why not start & look at solutions to this sort of unacceptable behaviour.
It's the Snowdrops losing their petals that need to stop trying to shift the blame & responsibility.

Solutions to this unacceptable behaviour is the perpetrator and the people who heard him say it hearing JT give a sincere apology for using the term (not directed at anyone but admonishing himself). Which he did. Everybody learns that a term that at one point was more harmless in nature is nowadays in the "bad" box as has happened with many other words and phrases that have gone from acceptable to not. But unless there a public execution you will never be happy. As previously said, what could have been a win win for thr wokey brigade is now in danger of backfiring.

D

Deleted Member 1156

At the end of the day, RL have a choice who they employ as a brand ambassador. From an economic viewpoint, they don't have the same freedom of choice where they manufacture.
I disagree. When you charge upwards of £80 for a polo shirt I think you have huge margins of profit that give you the freedom of choice to pay higher manufacturing costs. As a corporation RL are starting to look very hypocritical as a result of this incident.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cynic in me sees this as a no lose situation for the brand. They act quickly, dump the person in question and then can dine out on the positive headlines that this gleans whilst also taking the cost of someone they sponsor off the books safe in the knowledge that he is unlikely to be the face of any of their competitors clothing lines for the foreseeable future.

sunshine

Visit site
Can't see this back firing on Ralph Lauren. They are not big in golf, and outside of golf nobody cares about golf.

The best thing that JT can do now is publicly come out as gay / bi / non binary. Would be a tremendous marketing opportunity for a redemption story to enhance his brand.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't see this back firing on Ralph Lauren. They are not big in golf, and outside of golf nobody cares about golf.

The best thing that JT can do now is publicly come out as gay / bi / non binary. Would be a tremendous marketing opportunity for a redemption story to enhance his brand.

Ridiculous!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did anything happen to Garcia when he made his racist remarks about tiger?

Whilst both comments are acceptable one was aimed at someone directly

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ultimately the tour will deal with this behind close doors, the public see JT losing a main sponsor and so as far as the public see it its done. The problem remains and will remain to be whether JT fully understands the widespread issues his actions caused and whether he will/can change his mindset to that behaviour being unacceptable. For my tuppence worth I don't think he has/will and will see it just a case of being caught out. That's sad but sometimes people have behaviours so entrenched nothing is going to change that.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ultimately the tour will deal with this behind close doors, the public see JT losing a main sponsor and so as far as the public see it its done. The problem remains and will remain to be whether JT fully understands the widespread issues his actions caused and whether he will/can change his mindset to that behaviour being unacceptable. For my tuppence worth I don't think he has/will and will see it just a case of being caught out. That's sad but sometimes people have behaviours so entrenched nothing is going to change that.
About that we don't really know.
What is needed for the future is a set of rules that give no doubt as to how such demeanors are treated........ set fines & possible 'defaults' for the most serious such as JT's.
The 'ol 'Snow-drop brigade' need to realize those audible profanities can't just be apologized away, but need to be outlawed & dealt with as in Tennis & would be the case in Snooker...... though I've never heard of any in the latter despite it providing many more opportunities.
Such 'Potty-mouth' behaviour, as our Lady members so quaintly term it, has no place in golf as it's neither clever nor smart. :rolleyes:..... I can see getting knee-deep in petals presently.

sunshine

Visit site
Personally think Thomas is one of the very best role models etc etc - the wording here is pretty aloof, to say the least, and unlikely to make him want to rekindle their relationship..

"As we make this decision, our hope is that Mr. Thomas does the hard and necessary work in order to partner with us again – truly examining this incident, learning, growing and ultimately using his platform to promote inclusion."

This would have been a more sensible and progressive solution for all parties involved.

JT in rainbow polo's for the rest of the season!

Maybe RL contacted JT and suggested a collaborative plan to move forward together, and JT told them to get stuffed (and called them a bunch of f-words). And this is RL's response. Lot of support for JT on this thread, but none of us know what he's really like. He could be a top bloke, we just don't know.