Justice for the 96

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
22 years on, does anyone think the families will finally get what they deserve?
i hope the goverment will let these families see what they need to see in these files so the can maybe move on.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Dunno Boabski. Just what exactly are the families seeking?

I remember the disaster well, such a loss of human life. The front pages of some of the Sunday papers were horrific to say the least.
I do know that there were many Liverpool supporters turned up without tickets for the game and took advantage of getting free admission which obviously didn't help the overcrowding problem.

Headless chicken probably describes how the police and their superiors reacted at first. Blame possibly lies firmly at the feet of the superior officer who refused to open the gates in the Leppings Lane stand to allow more ares of the stand to be occupied.

I do know one thing. Leppings Lane is the away stand at Hillsborough. I was there last season watching my team. After the game as we left the stand it was eerie to see how many fans glanced down into the lower tier (myself included) Perhaps a silent tribute to the 96 people who went to watch the football on that fateful day.

I just hope that the truth will out and closure for the aggrieved families will at last be achieved.

RIP the 96 souls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not convinced and feel sure the government and those with a vested interest will see that the bare minimum is released to somehow pay a lip service to the families who suffered. I doubt the full story will ever come to light and that the families will always have a huge yawning gap in their soul and be wondering what exactly happened

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sadly, I agree with Homer on this.

P.R and lip service (along with political correctness) take precidence over the truth and what the publc want these days.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I do hope there is full disclosure, and I do hope that the families gain some grain of comfort from what is revealed. I can still see the pictures of that day in my mind's eye... horrific.

As to blame and accountability; I'll leave that to those who are paid to make those decisions, and hope they do the right thing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think it will be full disclosure, but I don't think any one is going to come out of this looking good, be it the fans, the police, the grounds management, who ever.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dunno, but its been a very emotional last 3 hours in our house. I was there as an eighteen year old.

There but for the grace of God.

I was there too, first ever game in a stadium I was only 8 years old. We were in the upper section of that stand, although only 8 there are images that will live in my memory forever.

RIP the 96, never forgotten.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
These are the questions the families have waited 22 years to have answered. Will they get those answers? I think the families know the truth, what they need is justice. No individual has ever been made accountable

1 What, in detail, happened after 3:15pm on the day of the disaster?

2 Could more people have been saved if the response to the disaster had been better co-ordinated?

3 Who removed two CCTV video tapes from the locked control room at Hillsborough on the night of the disaster?

4 Why was nobody identified to have removed them, and what investigation was mounted?

5 Which South Yorkshire police officers worked in the unit that vetted police statements before they went to Taylor and the inquest?

6 Who gave the orders for them to do so and what was the stated intention of those orders?

7 Are the documents lodged by order of the government in the House of Lords library a complete archive of South Yorkshire police's Hillsborough documents?

8 What was Det Supt Stanley Beechey, a former head of the West Midlands serious crime squad, doing on the Hillsborough investigation while he had been placed on "non-operational duties"?

There are a lot of theories about the government’s role, was Mrs. Thatcher behind the cover up and blame shifting? So soon after the miners strike, did she feel they had a debt of gratitude to the police for the role they played in helping her to bring the miners down? Did she feel the police had to come out of this clean at all costs? Will we learn the truth from released cabinet papers?

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a young fan following my team around the country at that time anyone will tell you that the South Yorks force had a major reputation of taking no sh*t and not to be messed with. I often wonder if any of the 'attitude' played in a part in the disaster.

If they get a blame figure(s) will that open up the opportunity for the families to take some sort of legal action or will it be a case of thank you we can now have closure? If it were me I'd want them crushed to death...

Last edited:

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
As a young fan following my team around the country at that time anyone will tell you that the West Yorks force had a major reputation of taking no sh*t and not to be messed with. I often wonder if any of the 'attitude' played in a part in the disaster.

If they get a blame figure(s) will that open up the opportunity for the families to take some sort of legal action or will it be a case of thank you we can now have closure? If it were me I'd want them crushed to death...

Eyup FJ. The West Yorkshire force still don't take s**t. However, it was the South Yorkshire force on duty in Sheffield that day. Sheffield = in South Yorkshire mate.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The fans who turned up without tickets and tried to force their way in must surely shoulder a lot of the blame?

Well spoff, there is always one bigot, isn't there. Sun reader by any chance? It isn't even worth pointing out 15 other points to the likes of you. Read up on it or dont comment at all. The likes of people like you are a disgrace. I went back on this post expecting to see one slight against the fans again, as there is always one fool, and you sadly are it. Stick to taking photos,clown.

The administrators may not like the tone of my post, and I am not someone to resort to this, but I find his comments deeply offensive, as well as bigotted and ill informed. have you even been to football matches at a high level?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry Spoff, but that comment is unnecessary and naive. What happened was nothing short of a national disaster, and the behaviour of the establishment following this was a disgrace. The actions of the government of the time, the Authorities, Kelvin Mackenzie and his cronies is still felt in every football fans heart like a knife. Whoever was to blame, the truth should have been given to the families in the immediate aftermath of the disaster. To make them wait for 22 years should never be forgiven. All the people of Liverpool, and every other right minded person, wants is the truth. Whatever that truth is. If the actions of a few played a part then that will be accepted, if however, the actions of those in charge played the dominant part, and were subsequently covered up to protect a few "protected" individuals, then that should be revealed and the corrective action taken. JFT96.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry Spoff, but that comment is unnecessary and naive. What happened was nothing short of a national disaster, and the behaviour of the establishment following this was a disgrace. The actions of the government of the time, the Authorities, Kelvin Mackenzie and his cronies is still felt in every football fans heart like a knife. Whoever was to blame, the truth should have been given to the families in the immediate aftermath of the disaster. To make them wait for 22 years should never be forgiven. All the people of Liverpool, and every other right minded person, wants is the truth. Whatever that truth is. If the actions of a few played a part then that will be accepted, if however, the actions of those in charge played the dominant part, and were subsequently covered up to protect a few "protected" individuals, then that should be revealed and the corrective action taken. JFT96.

I think this key, Spoff's point may not have been malicious just ignorant, The truth has been buried for so long it is too easy for Hillsborough to get labelled as another hoolgan caused disaster.

When the truth comes out maybe these attitudes will be put to bed

Do you think Kelvin Mackenzie will apologise to the families ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I went back on this post expecting to see one slight against the fans again,

So are you saying that fans turning up without tickets were not in anyway to blame for the cause? Yes the Authorities managed the situation extremely badly but what was the real cause?

I hope the truth does come out.
At the end of the day, everyone involved has to bear some responsibility, from a fan who got in without a ticket to the Officer in charge who screwed up - varying degrees of responsibility from top to bottom.