Reversing Diabetics - any experience

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well the warning shot has been fired by the Dr... Diabetics is on the way.
Unfortunatley, diabetics can lead to other secondary diseases. Not planning to spend the rest of my life with it nor do i fancy getting onto insulin (if i dont control it).

there are things i cannot change e.g. I have a relatively sedentary job - it pays the bills so I cant change it. It is highly stressful, but cant change that either.
I like a good tipple and food - but will now need to see what i do esp with the alcohol.

I am going to start researching 'reversing diabetics'... but wanted to know if anyone has any experience that give a head start. I am not looking for quick fix and snake oil

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you’re still not a diabetic, heed the warning. I tipped over the edge 2.5 years ago, and I’m now on Metformina(sp). My sugar level is very much under control, apart from the odd blip. However, the medication isn’t without a side effect or two. It’s not healthy for the liver nor does it do your stomach a whole lot of good.

Whilst your pancreas is still working, of a fashion, look after it, nurture it. Pancreatitis is bloody painful! Eat the right things, lose weight & exercise. I’m not my best friend in that dept. I eat the right things, most of the time. But I do eat too much. My drinking is the odd can, glass of wine or brandy - there’s still an unopened slab of beer in the fridge from last September, but I could do better. And I hit my step count most days. Everything is “most days.”

I’ve lost around 14kgs but that’s virtually nothing compared to what the doc wants off and the time involved. And if I need an incentive, there’s a guy at the club in the same boat who is struggling to get his sugar level down. He finds walking painful, and his feet give him hell through the night - I get a bit of that occasionally.

And if I really need an incentive, our friend’s son who I posted up about in Aug/Sept spent 10 weeks in hospital in agony as his pancreas shut down, and his weight dropped to just over 40kg - he’s over 6ft. He is still very, very ill and the expectation is he’ll be back in hospital in the next week.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you’re still not a diabetic, heed the warning. I tipped over the edge 2.5 years ago, and I’m now on Metformina(sp). My sugar level is very much under control, apart from the odd blip. However, the medication isn’t without a side effect or two. It’s not healthy for the liver nor does it do your stomach a whole lot of good.

Whilst your pancreas is still working, of a fashion, look after it, nurture it. Pancreatitis is bloody painful! Eat the right things, lose weight & exercise. I’m not my best friend in that dept. I eat the right things, most of the time. But I do eat too much. My drinking is the odd can, glass of wine or brandy - there’s still an unopened slab of beer in the fridge from last September, but I could do better. And I hit my step count most days. Everything is “most days.”

I’ve lost around 14kgs but that’s virtually nothing compared to what the doc wants off and the time involved. And if I need an incentive, there’s a guy at the club in the same boat who is struggling to get his sugar level down. He finds walking painful, and his feet give him hell through the night - I get a bit of that occasionally.

And if I really need an incentive, our friend’s son who I posted up about in Aug/Sept spent 10 weeks in hospital in agony as his pancreas shut down, and his weight dropped to just over 40kg - he’s over 6ft. He is still very, very ill and the expectation is he’ll be back in hospital in the next week.

I am borderline/pre-diabetic.. i think they keep changing the goal post on what is categroised as diabetic. but i hear you and it is exactly what i want to avoid. Both my parents had it, so in some way I am predisposed to having it. I am just trying to delay it as much as i can. I tick most of the boxes you mentioned there.

1) i was doing alright as i try to do some form every week. usually the 30 mins cardio. I need to get back to the gym
2) Weight: Hats off to you for losing 14kgs. i just cant shift mine. I lost about 6, but bad habits meant it has all come back
3) Food/diet will be key... but i love it too much to stop eating everything.
4) alcohol.. as you said, i have 2 crates of beer, which i am not tempted to open. I also started on non-alcoholic stuff. Other than the old glass of dram or brandy a week or so, i think think i can give most alcohol.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I'm type 2 and refusing drugs. I do my best to control it with diet. It's a major thing, but you can soon get the hang of it. Wholemeal bread is one thing. Wholemeal everything actually. Drop everything with sugar. Sweets, chocolate, etc. Aldi do some nice sugar free sweets at the tills if you like the odd sweetie. B and m do sugar free digestives and other sugar free stuff. They do a great Skinny. Golden syrup that's free of sugar and carbs. really nice. Google sugar free deserts loads of recipes, some are really good, like the cheesecakes. A mate swore by apple cider as a help. Loads of stuff on the net about this. Not sure it helps but I'm giving that a go. As for alcohol, I read that it doesn't affect sugar levels. And that's what I'm finding. If anything they reduce after having it. The docs don't tell you where you need to be at, but I work on staying under 8, as a paramedic told me that's what they accept as diabetic. I'm about 6.5 to 7.1. which I think is ok. Good luck

Red devil

Visit site
If you look up Professor Roy Taylor, Newcastle University. And reversing diabetes, it can be done.
Also a mate of mine reversed his diabetes by following a Dr David Unwin,Southport. If you google him his site is good as well.
PS. These two are accredited physicians, it's not quackery.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Type 2 but got put on insulin after a hospitalisation several years ago just before Christmas and some secondary concerns over my HB1 number which has gone to around 105. Saw a consultant in the hew year after coming out of hospital and was told it was insulin from that day onwards. No counter conversation, no discussion or review of meds. Fortunately my HB1 has since fallen to 72 and was down again to around 60 so trending nicely back towards a normal number and my target of 42-50

I still enjoy a few beers at the weekend after golf and have a sedentary (if sometimes stressful) role. Diet definitely not the best but I am trying my best to cut all the crap sugars from sweets, cakes and biscuits out and to eat at sensible times. I've also looked to reduce some carbs as well and the plan is to start some exercise once my back is fully back to normal (or as close as I'm getting) which will also help

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife was diagnosed late last year. Well the correct reply is she was diagnosed 3 years ago, but the doctors didn't tell her. It was only because she was all over the place (blood pressure through the roof, her thyroid levels all over the place after being steady for years) that she got fully tested again and that when they told her.
She has wholemal bread, has cut down a lot on carbs, and generally now her blood sugar levels are in the acceptable zone is anything in moderation. She has been changed to the metmorphing slow release tablets to try and control the mega bad stomachs that seem to go with this drug.
All I can say is good luck, and without doubt prevention is better than cure.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've been type 1 for over 45 years so didn't experience the slower onset of type 2 but I'd agree with most of what's been said.

Type 2 tends to come with age but the main things to keep it at bay are:
- Cutting down on high sugar foods.
- Losing any excess weight.
- Eating healthier foods that have slower release carbohydrates so that you flatten out blood sugar levels.
- Exercising to maintain a higher metabolism.
- Not drinking to excess.
- And while you're at it, cut down on salt for good measure.

Living with diabetes takes some adjustment but it's actually one of the easier chronic morbidities to live with.

Grizzly

Visit site
I got the pre-diabetic warning about five years ago, knocked it on the head within three months - the fact is, you can reduce blood sugar pretty easily with simple choices. Sweet potato rather than potato, wholemeal pasta, black or red rice instead of washed rice, brown bread rather than white, a few squares of good quality dark chocolate rather than dairy milk...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Part of the rd to “ recovery” if that’s the word is accepting there is a problem, or potential problem. I say that because if I had a penny for every time I dealt with guys who had high blood pressure. I would be a rich man.
predominantly the lads I worked with, “ worked hard and played hard”. Ate to much, drank to much and smoked to much. Coupled with a lack of exercise. The eventual results were inevitable.
The sequence of events usually went along the lines of High blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, low sex drive unable to get Mr Stiffy to go to the party. Overweight, heart problems. Early death.
There were two ways to deal with it.
The hardest was to accept there was a problem and then look at one’s diet, look to do some form of exercise. Look at what they drink and sometimes smoke.
The easiest was to go onto medication to lower one’s BP.
Most and I mean a large percentage of Most choose the latter. That for a short period of time worked, after a couple of years the medication needed to be upped because the body was still filling itself with crap be it, smoke, drink or crap food. And exercise was still missing.
Re yourself, you have accepted there is a potential problem. You are already golfing and doing a form of exercise. I believe you are on the right road.
Most folk at some time know a change in life direction needs to happen. It has happened to both Mr and Missis T. Me I golf and go out on the bike. I love it.29.3 miles on Wednesday.
There are many stories on here from like minded guys and girls that have lost weight and benefited from it, big up respect to them.
I have yet to find a better investment than investing in yourself, if there is one out there, then I am alls ears.

Good luck me man.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No personal experience but a good friend was told he was pre-diabetic a few months ago. He followed his GP’s advice with regard to diet, alcohol intake and exercise regime and is now in the clear.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My doc was no help at all regards diet and only wanted me to take the drugs. I'm controlling things with diet. I have the odd lapse due to things not being available but on the whole keep things below alarm bell time. If it does go up a bit I go for a 30 minute walk. That sorts it out

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone looked at Zoe the diet/lifestyle/food...
HID has some friends who like it, so keen to follow it. Naturally she wants me to join too...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anyone looked at Zoe the diet/lifestyle/food...
HID has some friends who like it, so keen to follow it. Naturally she wants me to join too...
The podcasts I linked to above are produced by Zoe. There are probably some that specifically address the benefits of joining.
I'm a little sceptical. Firstly, because their free pods give enough useful information to be a good starting point.
Secondly, if they're not enough, maybe even more info wouldn't add much?
Ymmv etc etc

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I am the youngest of 3 brothers.
Middle brother became type 1 at the age of 12 when I was 9.
He had no other choice than to learn a heck of a lot about calorie content of foods and good choices of stuff to eat.
I learnt with him.
I could not stuff my face with things that he could not - that would have been cruel.
So I had a very healthy diet for that important part of my childhood. It was based on need/ought rather than want/like.
Choosing that sort of diet has just been a natural part of my life.
We can both make a very good estimate of calorie content of anything put before us.
Knowledge = good health.
This has been true for both of us.
Well, so far at least.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The alcohol thing. I'm not convinced this is a problem. Look I have a right booze up on a Thursday and test when I get back and I'm well under acceptable limits. And I'm swigging cider, and sweet cider at that. We are here to enjoy life. Don't let the docs suck the fun out of it. Get the test strips and test after a bottle of wine and a carb controlled meal. It's 2 hours after by the way. Maybe it's me and my system but I'm ok with booze. It's sugar that's my problem so I'm VERY cautious about this oh and I try to do a bit of a walk each day or work.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh and have a look at Skinny products in b and m. 0% everything. So I have oats and a slug of golden syrup. Zero everything. Sorts breakfast.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have honey on my cereals, is that bad, or is syrup just better.

I'm pre-diabetic, latest blood tests had me around 42 iirc which is the lower end, but lost 10-12 ils in the last 6-7 weeks, so want to continue on that journey, but food as well as exercise needs to improve.