Just to say.....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stop using them when they start to look a bit tatty. Sadly very few have reached that stage since lockdown. It was going to be the last round for today's ball but it decided to hide from me deep in the trees on the 11th hole.

I do use new balls for a "big" comp but only from the 2nd hole onwards, hate hitting a new ball on the first tee!
I don't know what is worse. Losing a brand new ball with one hit, or 3 off the tee.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
’s a yellow Snell MTB-X by the way, decent balls ?
If you hit a white one often enough it gets a yellow tint. But I lose mine before that. I think I lost 2 today, one in the water and one into the tree.

I think I played a handful 18 holes without losing one. Found it easier in winter because it doesn't roll down the banks into the water, and I played a red Wilson Staff which was easy to spot. But I doubt they were back to back rounds.

Mandofred

Visit site
One round usually does it for me, maybe 2 at the most. By then it will have a couple decent scuffs on it, and even though that isn't supposed to do much to the ball...it gets in my head.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That somehow I have managed to retain the same ball for 3 complete rounds on the trot.

This is most unusual for me,

I realise that posting this is the kiss of death and it will probably end up in the trees on the right off the first tee on Tuesday.

For those of you that don’t lose many balls, when do you retire them?

It’s a yellow Snell MTB-X by the way, decent balls ?
Was you only using a putter?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most consecutive rounds I ever played with one ball was 10. It was a couple of years ago as well when I was still off 22 I think. Then on the 11th round I was hitting a wedge tee shot on a par 3 and it made a weird sound, turned out I'd put a massive crack in the cover so that was that. I retired the ball and still have it now as a memento. Maybe not as impressive as a hole in one ball, but it's all I've got. It was a Wilson Staff DX2.

I never 'retire' a ball, but I don't use premium urethane cover ones so I don't really think I need to. I tend to only lose one every three rounds on average, sometimes a ball will last me 5 rounds and get a few scuffs. I've no idea if that's affecting performance so I just carry on until I do lose it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did the cardinal sin of taking a 3 wood for safety on our 4th yesterday and promptly tugged it left. Firm bounce, scuttle and OOB. Got round 18 today without a hint of losing a ball and played well into the mix

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That somehow I have managed to retain the same ball for 3 complete rounds on the trot.

This is most unusual for me,

I realise that posting this is the kiss of death and it will probably end up in the trees on the right off the first tee on Tuesday.

For those of you that don’t lose many balls, when do you retire them?

It’s a yellow Snell MTB-X by the way, decent balls ?

There’s no rough on the crazy golf in the park ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
3 whole rounds!!

You missed the windmill, got it around the loop-d-loop and got it into the clown's mouth 3 consecutive rounds. Exceptional golf sir!

Must read posts before posting, you beat me to it Bri ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Lots of good golfers here!
I recently celebrated, having completed one whole round with the same ball!
But we have one course lined with rhododendrons. God knows how many balls are in there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lots of good golfers here!
I recently celebrated, having completed one whole round with the same ball!
But we have one course lined with rhododendrons. God knows how many balls are in there.
Don't think you have to be good to not lose a ball. As I said earlier I didn't lose one for 10 rounds when I was playing off 22 - it's mainly because my bad shots are all thins and fats rather than wild slices or hooks. You don't tend to lose a ball if you fat it 70 yards. And I do slice it occasionally, but you just have to be lucky on those ones.