Just starting out - online handicaps/playing partner wanted etc.

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently took up Golf after finding it a great way to switch off from work. I had played occasionally years ago but never seriously.

In the last month, I have been playing approximately three times a week at a local course near Bolton. I am getting better but I do have a couple of holes where I have a bit of a mental block where I will send the ball quite far right every so often.

I have just made the step of buying some brand new clubs. I read up on a few game improvement iron sets online and decided I would go for a cheaper price range as an introductory set.

I have gone for the Benross HTX Compressor Graphite complete set including driver, woods etc.

Because I started playing to switch off from work, I started playing on my own. I don't mind a bit of competition so I noticed clubs have competitions at the weekends but you need a handicap to enter. As I don't know anyone, I don't have anyone that could sign my cards to prove I scored what I say I did.

I have been using myonlinegolfclub.com to keep track of my scores without having pockets full of paper scorecards. Now I have uploaded a fair few scorecards on to the website, they say I am eligible for one of their handicaps.

My question is: Should I pay the £15 to get a handicap from them or is it not worth the paper it is written on?

Finally, I am based in/near to Bolton/Wigan so if anyone needs a playing partner and doesn't mind a relative beginner tagging along I'd be up for that. My handicap on myonlinegolf.com comes out at 20 at the minute based on the scorecards I have put in recently.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of clubs look for a CONGU handicap. Having had a very quick glance at the myonlinegolfclub.com website I can't see it mention its a CONGU handicap. Also it seems it is open to abuse if you put your own scores in and get a handicap that way. (I'm not saying you'd put the incorrect score in, but it would be open to abuse in the wrong hands).
Normally to get a club handicap you'd need to be a member of a club as far as I'm aware.
But it may be worth asking the clubs who are hosting the competition if they are happy to accept your myonlinegolfclub.com handicap :)!

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response, that was what I was worried about to be honest. It seemed like a potential loophole in the system to allow people to "buy" a handicap before a holiday and play while they are there without question.

I have joined up to my local club and so I am now a full member but I find myself in a bit of a chicken and the egg situation.

I want to enter competitions to play against others and get competition but to enter I need a handicap. To get a handicap I'd need someone I know to sign off on the cards etc.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Are there any roll ups at your club you could play in. You could ask the pro. If so, you can play in one of these, meet some guys, and get your 3 cards marked at the same time.

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
It doesn't seem like there are any competitions you can just turn up and play without a handicap.

When I got my membership pack it said to play competitions you must have one so I suppose I will need to sort it. Early doors it isn't the end of the world if I play on my own as it puts less pressure on and I feel more free to take my time but competition is always good eventually.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you not ask if you can play in the comp in order to get your handicap? Of course you won't be able to win, but its a chance to get to know a few folk and get your cards in at the same time.

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ask if your club has any rollups where you can play with others and get one of them to mark a card for you. Alternatively, you may be able to 'enter' the competitions purely to submit a card for handicap purposes. You won't actually be in the competition, but if any groups have a space there doesn't seem to be a reason why you can't tag along with them and get them to mark a card for you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you've joined a club, couldn't you ask the club secretary or whoever you spoke to and ask if they can set you up a game with somebody?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Since you are not too far from Manchester: Chris Fletcher from the Trafford Golf Center has started a golf society, mostly aimed at learners and golfers who don't have an official handicap yet.

http://improvemygolf.co.uk/img-golf-society/

They are playing their first event this Friday at Dayhulme Park, if I remember correctly, so maybe a bit short notice for that, but maybe something that could interest you in the future and a nice way to meet other golfers from the area for sure.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At our club we allow people to play in comps without a h/c in order to help with their first 3 cards. They can not win the comp however. Seems fair to me and I don't understand why that is not standard, if it isn't. For people who can only get out at weekends it is very difficult to get a h/c without playing in one of the weekend comps.

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses, I am going down today to have a round so I will ask about playing alongside the comps purely to get a handicap.

Thanks Capella, I will have a look at the golf society. Seems a good way of introducing myself to the game.

Just waiting for my new clubs to arrive, I was playing with an old set of RAM clubs that my dad had. Probably about 15 years old so will be interesting to see if I feel a difference with these or if my level isn't consistent enough to notice any difference yet.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses, I am going down today to have a round so I will ask about playing alongside the comps purely to get a handicap.

Thanks Capella, I will have a look at the golf society. Seems a good way of introducing myself to the game.

Just waiting for my new clubs to arrive, I was playing with an old set of RAM clubs that my dad had. Probably about 15 years old so will be interesting to see if I feel a difference with these or if my level isn't consistent enough to notice any difference yet.

Good luck with your golf I'm sure you will be able to join up with someone to mark your card in a comp.

You will notice a big difference with the new Benross set they are quality clubs at a reasonable price, if you think you play to around 20 playing with 15 year old Ram clubs I would hazard a guess that you should be 2/3 shots lower when you get used to the new clubs.

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At our club we allow people to play in comps without a h/c in order to help with their first 3 cards. They can not win the comp however. Seems fair to me and I don't understand why that is not standard, if it isn't. For people who can only get out at weekends it is very difficult to get a h/c without playing in one of the weekend comps.

I believe it is standard. It's the case in any club I have been part of or for that matter any club I know. Anyone here have a club that does not allow that?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
According to the pro at the course I play, the rules state that the person marking your card does not even have to play or a member of the club. They just have to be a "competent person" to mark the card (I assume this means they can count, write, and watch that you don't cheat). Check with the pro at your place to see if this is acceptable to your club, and then just ask a friend to walk the course with you to mark the card.

Also, you can now submit cards of 9-hole rounds towards your handicap. As long as you have submitted 54 holes of recorded play, they can then calculate your handicap.

Personally I like to play with people, so I've just been turning up at my place on a Sunday morning and asking if I can tag along with people.

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting. Not sure how many "competent" individuals I might find in our area but worth a try all the same haha

I have been reading the 5 Lessons book by Ben Hogan recently as I figured he seems to have studied golf more than any other. I just cant get comfortable with the grip he pushes for. I have slipped naturally into using the interlocking grip and that seems to work better for me.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the grip and whether I should really force myself to adapt to the Hogan preferred method for better long term results?

Cheers,

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Not sure how many "competent" individuals I might find in our area but worth a try all the same haha

I have been reading the 5 Lessons book by Ben Hogan recently as I figured he seems to have studied golf more than any other. I just cant get comfortable with the grip he pushes for. I have slipped naturally into using the interlocking grip and that seems to work better for me.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the grip and whether I should really force myself to adapt to the Hogan preferred method for better long term results?

Cheers,

I wouldn't worry about which grip you use, TBH. Some of the best players in the world use the interlocking grip (e.g. Rory McIlroy). A friend of mine who was a very good player always used the baseball grip, as he said he could rotate the clubface better than other grips. What might be beneficial is to book a couple of lessons with the pro. Have him look at your grip to make sure it isn't too strong or weak, as well as your posture, alignment and ball position. Basically all the things you need to get right before you even swing the club. Getting these basics right makes the rest a lot easier.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Cheers,
I wouldn't say force yourself into any grip. Plenty of pro golfers use all sorts of different grips.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hello mate which course you a member at? I’m based in bolton too so if you ever fancy a friendly game just let me know

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Karl,

I am signed up to Douglas Valley as of a few weeks ago. I figured it seemed like a decent test but quiet enough so I didn't have to worry about slowing others down etc.

What about you?

Cheers,

Greg

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My understanding of competent person is...they do not necessarily need to be a member of that club to mark a card but they need to be a member of a golf club. For example I had someone from another club mark my cards at the time and beside their signature I had them put their GUI number to identify their competence/suitability