Judging distances

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone had any techniques for judging distances to the pin from the 70 yard and in range?
I'm in the middle of working on my short game and have worked you how far I hit my wedges with different swing lengths but soon found out that only works if you know how far you need to hit the ball!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone had any techniques for judging distances to the pin from the 70 yard and in range?
I'm in the middle of working on my short game and have worked you how far I hit my wedges with different swing lengths but soon found out that only works if you know how far you need to hit the ball!

Get yourself a laser

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seemed like such an obvious answer.

For me though, from that type of range is all about feel, guy at our club off of +3 puts it within a yard every time from those ranges, he is lethal.

Prob has a great eye as well as talent, personally i would struggle knowing i was 90 yards, or 100 or 80;) for that matter without the laser

TigersUSamatuer

Visit site
The best way to derive the distance I need within 60 yards is to vary stance width, whilst still keeping the swing the same, for example waist rotate to waist. Less yardage is narrower stance. And more is back in stance. I work on my carry distance with feet together, narrow than shoulder, then shoulder width. It works! All with the same swing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Find out how far you hit each club, using a full and half swing. Get a laser or on a monitor and measure how far they go. It's really not hard. The skill is then learning to control the distances and using different clubs in different conditions

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before the days of lasers etc I just used to eye the distance in terms of ten yards at a time.
I work in 22yd chunks I find them easy to visualise ....cant think why 🤔
Basically in the 65yds and down to about 40yd range. Below that I'm not really interested in yardages; I'm on auto (sub-concious) and the equation is which club and land it where - then just let the powerfully part of the brain do it's thing.
In saying this I fully accept that the brain is just short circuiting the question of what yardage is that far in coming to it's conclusion of how to swing the chosen club to land on a particular spot - but you do it everytime you throw something to a particular spot (and very accurately!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you pitch with a certain club, find a spot at the range that you judge to be about 50 metres. Whether it is or not is sort of immaterial. Land 3 balls at the 50 target. Then one about 10 yards beyond. Next one 10 yards short. Keep mixing this up until you can drop a shot on each of those distances reasonably well. When you’re on the course visualise where that 50m target is. In that way it doesn’t really matter if it’s 45 or 60! You’ve got the feel.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a surveyor I am used to judging distance, so generally as I am walking to my ball I assess what I think the yardage is, when I get to the ball I do a quick check with my laser, generally my assessment is good enough for my ability, however the laser always provides comfort.

So in short buy a laser.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guy at mine gets top of flag plumb bob style at top of grip.
How far the hole is down the shaft gives him distances ,don’t know how he is so accurate but we tested him and he is never far off .
Just a thought.
Get top of flag on top of grip hole at bottom of grip and see what sort of swing is needed to hit this distance.
Go from there
Sounds crazy but works for him.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbf I played in America once and only had a few bits with me, no gps or laser. Guy I was playing with was constantly dumbfounded by how accurate I was guessing distances, I was never more than 10 yards out even in the 200+ range. Some folk are just naturally better at it that others.

I still use my GPS and laser everything from 150 in. Massive advantages you are allowed - why not take em

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be pretty good at judging distances but since using lasers / gps my ability has certainly been compromised. Maybe it’s a skill that needs constant practice.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be pretty good at judging distances but since using lasers / gps my ability has certainly been compromised. Maybe it’s a skill that needs constant practice.
It’s like everything else if you don’t use it you lose it!
I always have a guess at what I have left, then see how close I am with my laser.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Tbf I played in America once and only had a few bits with me, no gps or laser. Guy I was playing with was constantly dumbfounded by how accurate I was guessing distances, I was never more than 10 yards out even in the 200+ range. Some folk are just naturally better at it that others.

I still use my GPS and laser everything from 150 in. Massive advantages you are allowed - why not take em

One of my PP's is staggeringly accurate with his naked eye, he's often within a couple of yards of my laser, it's quite spooky at times.