I've had enough of FootGolf!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So we have a little 9 hole muni by us that I enjoy playing as it's a nice short course, quite flat with lots of bunkers and small greens so it makes for very good practice.

It's one of those courses they have tried to shut down before due to lack of numbers but as the land is owned by a church next door, the plans never go through. In recent times they've opened the course up for FootGolf to be played to bring in extra revenue. Whilst I'm all for brining in this extra revenue to keep the course open I don't agree with letting the FootGolfers out on the course at the same time as regular golfers.

They (FootGolfers) show absolutely NO consideration to the golfers who are already part way through their round before they embark booting their football round. They walk out in front of you whilst taking tee shots, scream and shout explicit words at each other as their mate boots one in to the river. I've seen one or two in football attire (football boots.... the lot!)

Now yesterday I paid out for 18 holes and only managed to play 13 because the second loop of 9 started to become very long due to the fact we had to wait on almost every tee for the FootGolfers to get out of the way so we could safely play our tee shots. Now the last few years haven't been too bad with this problem because they have let the FootGolfers go out once the golfers who have paid are on the last few holes meaning there is no overlap. But for some reason this year they are letting everybody out at the same time.

I know that if something was to happen, somebody gets hit by a stray shot or if a FootGolfer was to walk out in front of a golfer and be struck, it would always be the golfers fault!

Has anybody else had to experience this at a course and how have they dealt with it?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So we have a little 9 hole muni by us that I enjoy playing as it's a nice short course, quite flat with lots of bunkers and small greens so it makes for very good practice.

It's one of those courses they have tried to shut down before due to lack of numbers but as the land is owned by a church next door, the plans never go through. In recent times they've opened the course up for FootGolf to be played to bring in extra revenue. Whilst I'm all for brining in this extra revenue to keep the course open I don't agree with letting the FootGolfers out on the course at the same time as regular golfers.

They (FootGolfers) show absolutely NO consideration to the golfers who are already part way through their round before they embark booting their football round. They walk out in front of you whilst taking tee shots, scream and shout explicit words at each other as their mate boots one in to the river. I've seen one or two in football attire (football boots.... the lot!)

Now yesterday I paid out for 18 holes and only managed to play 13 because the second loop of 9 started to become very long due to the fact we had to wait on almost every tee for the FootGolfers to get out of the way so we could safely play our tee shots. Now the last few years haven't been too bad with this problem because they have let the FootGolfers go out once the golfers who have paid are on the last few holes meaning there is no overlap. But for some reason this year they are letting everybody out at the same time.

I know that if something was to happen, somebody gets hit by a stray shot or if a FootGolfer was to walk out in front of a golfer and be struck, it would always be the golfers fault!

Has anybody else had to experience this at a course and how have they dealt with it?

Personally I wouldn't play the course.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't think it's the people playing footgolf who are at fault, I think it's the greedy owners, how they allow both to use the course at the same time is beyond me!
The first footgolfer to get seriously hurt and the place will be probably be closed.
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen and if I was you I'd avoid the place or get the local press involved to highlight the danger.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't play the course.

This is pretty much what me and my playing partner decided when we discussed it on the way back yesterday. Don't see why we should be forced to not wait so long to play our shots, it's bad enough with slow play, and then end up leaving the course early!

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to agree mate, I played football golf yesterday but it was at a place that has a ,18 and a 9 hole course.
The 9hole was closed to golfers, so apart from 1 hole we were not to near the other course..
I can not see how it would saftley or be that enjoyable if it was all at the same time on the same course.
Ref clothing , we were told boots were not allowed but astro trainers and the like were.
I must admit I had a good day, it was good fun and made a lot of money for the course that was holding it. I may have felt different if it was all on the same course as I can see how it would/could ruin a round of golf .

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't think it's the people playing footgolf who are at fault, I think it's the greedy owners, how they allow both to use the course at the same time is beyond me!
The first footgolfer to get seriously hurt and the place will be probably be closed.
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen and if I was you I'd avoid the place or get the local press involved to highlight the danger.

Good shout, in that case it's MyTime Active who are at fault! As you say, it's an accident waiting to be happen when no common sense is used by people walking out in front of golf balls travelling at speed.

Interesting point about highlighting the danger through local press. I tried to air my views about it last year on social media and it was pretty much brushed off. There were other golfers out there yesterday who continued to play on, so god knows what time they got home!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We've got 2 18 hole courses and a nine hole course (that is used or footgolf as well), at my club.

Can't say I've had any issue with the footgolfers when I've been on the 9 hole track with my kid, they tend to go a little quicker than those playing golf, and the greens for the footgolf are a good way away from the putting greens of the golf course.

Seen a few kids parties using the facility as well, which is good to see, get them in the environment early and hopefully they'll go on to become interested in golf and take up the game themselves. My lad is 7 now, and loves the game. Already playing 18 holes on a regular basis, and I fear the day that he supersedes my ability is not all that far away.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of courses near me have got FootGolf now, but it'll only be intertwined with a scrappy 9 hole golf course. It's never a decent course that has Footgolf on it - hence as a golfer it wouldn't bother me. As they'd be the type of courses where you're just as likely to have occasional golfers hold you up as footgolfers.

I actually played Footgolf on Saturday, but we went to Richings Park, where they have constructed a bespoke Footgolf course all on it's own! It was by far the best Footgolf course I've played on, for that reason. Perhaps more places should try that, if they have the room.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, it hadn't even occurred to me that someone would try to make golf and footgolf work on the same course. The footgolf courses I know are completely separate little courses and great fun to play. I think, having people kicking a football around on the same golf course that I just to play a normal round of golf on would distract me a lot and I doubt it does the course much good, either.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually, it hadn't even occurred to me that someone would try to make golf and footgolf work on the same course. The footgolf courses I know are completely separate little courses and great fun to play. I think, having people kicking a football around on the same golf course that I just to play a normal round of golf on would distract me a lot and I doubt it does the course much good, either.
It's not like FootGolf is so popular that there are hundreds of footballs flying around though. Not round my way anyway. You could play nine holes of golf and be unlucky if you encounter more than one group of footgolfers on the way round.