Is your golf ball up to

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
How good are the golf balls we're buying. It seems from Mygolfspy that the the build quality is not necessarily what we expect and that a big miss with your golf shot is not always caused by your wafty swing. Mygolfspy have seemingly done a few videos on this issue and quality control is not necessarily what you'd wish when you spend your hard earned on a box of balls!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
27mins 50 sec !

Not a hope, switched off at 26 seconds because its clear they are going to drone on needlessly instead of getting to the point
So you missed it all kicking off, fights in the studio, a car ramming through the wall and a dozen streakers....
All at 35 seconds on.....:LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given how many balls are produced of course they'll be issues with some. Thought this got done to death not so long ago. At my level, is a core that's a few fractions of a millimetre off really going to matter?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Given how many balls are produced of course they'll be issues with some. Thought this got done to death not so long ago. At my level, is a core that's a few fractions of a millimetre off really going to matter?
It's the core being off centre that is making me topping the ball ;-)

D

Deleted member 16999

Surely if someone pays premium prices they should expect a premium product.
551F9030-40A6-4F9E-8278-AD57A7E5BACB.jpeg

Imurg

Visit site
A few fractions - no
But some of the balls they've found have been several millimetres lopsided like the picture above
And that must have an effect on your consistency. It isn't going to roll straight.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A few fractions - no
But some of the balls they've found have been several millimetres lopsided like the picture above
And that must have an effect on your consistency. It isn't going to roll straight.
But how many are there out there and how the blazes would you ever know. For me I'll pay my money and take my chances.

Imurg

Visit site
You obviously can't know unless you cut them open but MyGolfSpy found out when doing their ball test.
Several balls, when hit by a robot, went far beyond the expected dispersion parameters.
They cut one open and found this.
The fact that Callaway have announced a $50 million investment in new ball making machinery and protocols indicates that they've accepted that they have a problem and are going to put it right.
There won't be huge numbers of bad balls out there but there will be a significant number
I pretty much guarantee you wouldn't sink many putts with a ball like the picture above.

D

Deleted member 16999

But how many are there out there and how the blazes would you ever know. For me I'll pay my money and take my chances.
Maybe a start is to watch or read the articles and see which companies are best at producing consistent products.

The ball above is a Callaway ChromeSoft, an expensive ball, lots of rumours about Callaway suing MGS etc, no, Callaway met them, discussed what they’ve found and have now made an announcement that they are going to invest $50 million in to their Golf Ball production services.

Would you pay for 10 Litres of petrol and accept only getting 9.5 Litres poured in to your tank because of a faulty guage?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was interesting that they mentioned the Epsom salts, I balanced a load of balls several years ago. There were a few balls with multiple balance points. I assumed that there were very small, the ones that returned to the same point quickly are probably the bad ones as they have a distinct balance difference.
Did I watch how they flew, no, did I notice any difference in the shape of flight to remark on it ... no.
However my putts dropped !

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

I'd be careful if I were you - it's probably the thing that has stopped you getting to single figures all these years!!

Best to cut each one open before you put it in play and tape it back up. You'll be down to 9.4 in no time

D

Deleted member 16999

Even a premium ball costs a maximum of around £3.50 per ball brand new.

It's not like we're talking about them costing hundreds, it's still a cheap item
Some of us maybe in a position to afford that, not everybody is.

The actual cost is irrelevant though, you get what you pay for, but I’m yet to see any supplier warn a golfer that there’s a risk some of the balls are sub-standard when you buy them.

Like I asked Homer are you saying you’re happy to short measured for everything you buy in life or are golf balls different?

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Some of us maybe in a position to afford that, not everybody is.

The actual cost is irrelevant though, you get what you pay for, but I’m yet to see any supplier warn a golfer that there’s a risk some of the balls are sub-standard when you buy them.

Like I asked Homer are you saying you’re happy to short measured for everything you buy in life or are golf balls different?

I'm not talking about affordability, I'm just saying that it's reasonable to expect a £3 item to not have a ridiculously expensive and 100% guaranteed flawless manufacturing process

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not talking about affordability, I'm just saying that it's reasonable to expect a £3 item to not have a ridiculously expensive and 100% guaranteed flawless manufacturing process
Not '100% guaranteed flawless', but a lot better than it seems to be.
The question should be 'What percentage diversion from flawless/dispersion tolerance is deemed acceptable'.
Cost of the item is, pretty much, irrelevant imo. It's the 'marginal' cost/quality of a, supposedly, 'better' product that's important.