Is this cheating 2

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yep to keep a vanity HC that they can no longer play to and ensure they can enter these comps whilst other miss out. Thankfully it will all stop when the WHS comes into place. It will remove a good number of Cat 1 who no longer play to it and hand pick events

That's at least a couple times you've mentioned vanity handicap or a handicap that can't play to, I don't understand where you are getting this ??? Who says I can't play to ? Who says it's a vanity handicap ? The very fact that I have got there (cut 3 shots this season) tells me it isn't a vanity handicap.

For the record, 22 qualifiers played, 13 in buffer or better, 4 NR's, 3 due to leaving the course after 9 due to circumstances, so actually only 5 times out of buffer, granted at cat 2. Anyway, I refer you all to post #20, where I have stated my intent.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's at least a couple times you've mentioned vanity handicap or a handicap that can't play to, I don't understand where you are getting this ??? Who says I can't play to ? Who says it's a vanity handicap ? The very fact that I have got there (cut 3 shots this season) tells me it isn't a vanity handicap.

For the record, 22 qualifiers played, 13 in buffer or better, 4 NR's, 3 due to leaving the course after 9 due to circumstances, so actually only 4 times out of buffer, granted at cat 2. Anyway, I refer you all to post #20, where I have stated my intent.

If you can play to it then enter the Q comps and you have nothing to worry about surely ? Play comps and just see what happens - I have been in the same situation close to going back to 5 and I didn’t want too but just carried on playing , sometimes I got the point 1 and got back to 5 and others got cut - right now I’m close to going back to 6 - I’ll just keep playing because I know a cut will come along if it’s the right HC for me.

And the vanity HC is in regards the countless people out there that do falsely keep a low HC to ensure they can enter high profile am comps ( yep there are plenty of them )

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I don’t think I said that by not playing again he is breaking the rules, I’ve said that by avoiding playing to keep his handicap at its current level, then It would against the rules as surely that would be classed as manipulation.

I’m not sure why your 30 q rounds and a possible 10 more make any difference as your not asking others about avoiding the remaining 10 to maintain your current handicap status.

You can call it manipulation if you want, its' not breaking any rules. I'm luck to be a member at three clubs, I play with many of the best players at these clubs and quite a few of them select what they play in like the club championship qualifying or the more major of the club calendar. They do however play in quite a few of the regional comps with ranking points that most of the club members dont even know about. I used to play some myself. If a player works hard to get down to a certain level and wants to play at a higher level against, lets say, better players, then a choice needs to be made if they want to compete at that level. I know a guy who's a 1 hc player. he only plays about 4 or 5 comps per year. Its his choice. He'll scratch from comps if the weathers bad while lots of us play and go up .1 or 2. My point about 30 comps, i've got down to 5 again after a couple of months off 6. I can call it a day at that to remain at 5 until next year spring. You could say I'm protecting my HC but I've sure played plenty comps this year.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
As a roll on from the other topic I'm interested to hear views on this, I've worked bloody hard to get down to Cat 1 this year and am currently sitting 5.3 and want to remain cat 1 til end of season, which I'll explain why in a sec.

I only play Saturday/Wednesday and there is only two more Wednesday comps and 6 more Sats but I can't make at least two of the Sats, so essentially at most I can play 6 more qualifiers this season.

I want to remain cat 1 due to entry in certain comps that come up for entry over the Winter though obviously not played in Winter as it will boost my chances of entry, so am I cheating by not entering the qualifiers that are left to protect my handicap but in the opposite way from the previous topic ??

I do hope that all makes sense.

You never know your handicap could come down further, are you just cheating yourself? I don't see it as cheating, no one is forced to play every competition, you've worked hard to get to cat 1, reap the rewards. Hopefully it all come good for you in the winter.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you can play to it then enter the Q comps and you have nothing to worry about surely ? Play comps and just see what happens -

TBh over the course of a season I don't think I could maintain it, far to erratic off the tee, though I do believe I can easily be a floating 5/6 player over a season.

Tonight for example, started, double/single/birdie/single/single/single/par/par/par/par, 4 bogies and a double in 10 holes isn't cat 1 material, just a knock but qualifier tomorrow off the whites, so we'll see.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The OP has stated on more than one occasion he is going to play so no issue with him at all. The thread has now turned into a general point and I'm with the minority from what I read. It's handicap manipulation pure and simple - how can anyone argue with this when a player states his position not to play anymore to avoid his handicap changing.

I doubt anyone supports when it is done to avoid a downward change - yet the majority are happy to see no issue with the protection of a lower cap. Can't get my head around the obvious double standards here.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The OP has stated on more than one occasion he is going to play so no issue with him at all. The thread has now turned into a general point and I'm with the minority from what I read. It's handicap manipulation pure and simple - how can anyone argue with this when a player states his position not to play anymore to avoid his handicap changing.

I doubt anyone supports when it is done to avoid a downward change - yet the majority are happy to see no issue with the protection of a lower cap. Can't get my head around the obvious double standards here.

Sadly a very common theme on here.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can call it manipulation if you want, its' not breaking any rules. I'm luck to be a member at three clubs, I play with many of the best players at these clubs and quite a few of them select what they play in like the club championship qualifying or the more major of the club calendar. They do however play in quite a few of the regional comps with ranking points that most of the club members dont even know about. I used to play some myself. If a player works hard to get down to a certain level and wants to play at a higher level against, lets say, better players, then a choice needs to be made if they want to compete at that level. I know a guy who's a 1 hc player. he only plays about 4 or 5 comps per year. Its his choice. He'll scratch from comps if the weathers bad while lots of us play and go up .1 or 2. My point about 30 comps, i've got down to 5 again after a couple of months off 6. I can call it a day at that to remain at 5 until next year spring. You could say I'm protecting my HC but I've sure played plenty comps this year.
Thank you - I will call it manipulation.

I still don’t understand why anything else in your post is of any relevance to my original opinion and post.

I’m only a member of one club, play with average players and we don’t enter fancy competitions, I’ve never questioned the op’s hard work to get to cat 1 and I doubt I will ever get there. But it’s my opinion that skipping competitions that They would normally play in just to preserve a handicap is not right. But that’s my opinion and is no more relevant than anyone else’s.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Thank you - I will call it manipulation.

I still don’t understand why anything else in your post is of any relevance to my original opinion and post.

I’m only a member of one club, play with average players and we don’t enter fancy competitions, I’ve never questioned the op’s hard work to get to cat 1 and I doubt I will ever get there. But it’s my opinion that skipping competitions that They would normally play in just to preserve a handicap is not right. But that’s my opinion and is no more relevant than anyone else’s.

Respect your opinion.....

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely not cheating, there's no rule saying you have to play every competition possible.

I wouldn't even say it's manipulation. That would imply that the person on question is deliberately keeping their handicap higher or lower than their ability. Which isn't what's happening.

By the sound of it OP has played in a lot of comps this season so hardly manipulating. As others as said as he's not well out of form so could get cut.

If the OP had stated at the start of the season he wanted to get to 5 so he could qualify for a certain competition, no one would accuse him of cheating or manipulating his handicap if he got to 5 in three qualifying comps and stopped playing until the certain comp.

Just because it's happened after the fact doesn't mean it's manipulation

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
had my worst medal round of the season tonight so I suspect my stay at Cat 1 will be very short lived.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
if he isn't entering any comps how is he keeping someone else from getting in a comp.

Not cheating IMO, it not like the other instance where they are playing well below there current handicap but are not playing in comps in order to do well in a MP comp. some may frown upon it, but not the same thing
Hi sorry haven't bin on . I meant the elite comps where u have to be cat 1 and low cat 1in certain cases if ur not playing ordinary comp and keep ur handicap low maybe just maybe ur qualifying for comps u in reality shouldn't be therefore denying others the chance to enter

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi sorry haven't bin on . I meant the elite comps where u have to be cat 1 and low cat 1in certain cases if ur not playing ordinary comp and keep ur handicap low maybe just maybe ur qualifying for comps u in reality shouldn't be therefore denying others the chance to enter
but off 5 you are not getting in elite comps anyway. if he was off one or 2 maybe but not 5.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah right . Over he we have lots of senior scratch comps if ur 5.4 u can play if ur 5.5 u cant book in advance. but if there is room on the day u can play but ur hoping its under subscribed and they need to fill timesheet

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah right . Over he we have lots of senior scratch comps if ur 5.4 u can play if ur 5.5 u cant book in advance. but if there is room on the day u can play but ur hoping its under subscribed and they need to fill timesheet

It also happens over here - plenty will not play in comps to ensure their HC stays low to allow them to enter Scratch Comps - what happens though is lots of them end up being Reductions Only so their HC doesn’t get adjusted. It’s not as bad as Manipulation of your HC to win comps but it’s still a form of HC Manipulation