Is this a permissible form of practice during lockdown?

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
This thread is a mini replica of society and what is going on in the country at the moment , some people follow the guidelines
and some try any means to get around them , then get shirty when pulled up .
Do we think golf should get special dispensation ? Why ? I am content to wait it out and see what comes out of the lockdown,
if it lowers the spread of Covid brilliant , saves one persons death , even better .
So for the life of me i cannot see why we think golfers should be treated different to others , like it or not Covid affects us all , some
worse than others so we should support the measures to negate the spread whether we like it or not.

D

Deleted member 18588

This thread is a mini replica of society and what is going on in the country at the moment , some people follow the guidelines
and some try any means to get around them , then get shirty when pulled up .
Do we think golf should get special dispensation ? Why ? I am content to wait it out and see what comes out of the lockdown,
if it lowers the spread of Covid brilliant , saves one persons death , even better .
So for the life of me i cannot see why we think golfers should be treated different to others , like it or not Covid affects us all , some
worse than others so we should support the measures to negate the spread whether we like it or not.
Is it asking for golf to be treated any differently to other forms of exercise?

Or is it highlighting the anomalies within the regulations and seeking clarification?

This thread is not asking for golf courses and ranges to be open. After all, no matter how small, that could possibly result in greater social interaction and thus possible infections.

However, the question remains about practising by one person on a suitable piece of ground being exercise rather than organised sport and, therefore, permissible.

The problem arises from very poorly drafted regulations without any definition of exercise.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hence my post. See the first sentence of 2.

Yes - but you’ve read it and understand. Others just grab onto words that suit or don’t suit them and then chuck confusion in.

You can hit golf balls in a public or private space as exercise under current rules, just not on a golf course. Whether a particular place has a no golf sign bears no relation to what you can and can’t do under said current restrictions.

Sport (football, hockey etc) is perfectly allowable inside schools in school time currently also.

Visit site
Yes - but you’ve read it and understand. Others just grab onto words that suit or don’t suit them and then chuck confusion in.

You can hit golf balls in a public or private space as exercise under current rules, just not on a golf course. Whether a particular place has a no golf sign bears no relation to what you can and can’t do under said current restrictions.

Sport (football, hockey etc) is perfectly allowable inside schools in school time currently also.

Which is exactly what Crazyface was doing, and for which he has been unmercifully criticised.
There's nothing to stop casual practising with a golf club and a few balls, so long as it is absolutely safe to do so.

Swango1980

Visit site
Which is exactly what Crazyface was doing, and for which he has been unmercifully criticised.
There's nothing to stop casual practising with a golf club and a few balls, so long as it is absolutely safe to do so.
I think the issue is how people define exercise, and the government have left that open to interpretation. Having gone through the government website, it simply allows exercise (at least on your own or including all the restrictions about being with others). So, if one person defines hitting a golf ball as exercise, then the guidance seems to allow it. However, I'm sure many will not see it as a form of exercise, at least as a typically defined exercise. So, for them then going out to a field to hit a golf ball would be completely unacceptable.

Goodness knows how individual police officers would take it, I reckon some may think it is fine (or accept the argument), others may clear the golfer off and threaten to issue a fine. I've a couple of mates in the police, so might text them out of interest. But, it is just one example in many that causes confusion and debates like this on social media.

Personally, going out for a run or a walk is fine, as a bog standard method of exercise. I wouldn't dare go to a park and start hitting golf balls, even if it was empty, because even if I could argue it was exercise, I'd have a certain amount of empathy for those that do not see it the same way. I also would feel that even if I was in the right, I'd still not be a "winner" overall, as understandably others who see me could think very negatively of my actions. Putting Covid aside, it also is a massive inconvenience for anyone else wanting to use the park. He said there was no one nearby as another justification. However, he was obviously free to use the park just like anyone else. So, perhaps others approached from a distance, saw some fella smashing golf balls and simply decided to avoid the area for their own safety. Not everyone would storm up to him and ask him to stop, as many like to avoid conflict. But, I guess some people only think about themselves and don't worry about how their actions effect or are perceived by others.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
As I posted in another thread a few days ago

"Interesting interaction yesterday.

Police came to talk to me and a friend were hitting wedges at an open space in my hockey club grounds. Initially I was worried, but they just asked how we got in the locked gate and what we was doing (clubhouse still has been stuff in it). 2 minutes later they were happy, and said how silly it is golf courses are shut."

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As I posted in another thread a few days ago

"Interesting interaction yesterday.

Police came to talk to me and a friend were hitting wedges at an open space in my hockey club grounds. Initially I was worried, but they just asked how we got in the locked gate and what we was doing (clubhouse still has been stuff in it). 2 minutes later they were happy, and said how silly it is golf courses are shut."
Probably golfers themselves! If not, probably couldn't be bothered with the paperwork involved in reporting the incident.

I trust you were maintaining a 'social distance'!

This whole thread simply demonstrates, at least to me, the inanity/desperation of some folk! As for 'practicing' golf in a park....completely useless as 'practice' imo!

D

Deleted member 18588

Probably golfers themselves! If not, probably couldn't be bothered with the paperwork involved in reporting the incident.

This whole thread simply demonstrates, at least to me, the inanity/desperation of some folk! As for 'practicing' golf in a park....completely useless as 'practice' imo!
No incident to report!

And practising in a park is not useless just inadvisable on safety grounds.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hitting golf balls is useless practice?
How odd ?

Mandofred

Visit site
I repeat...'Practicing' golf in a park is completely useless as 'practice' imo!
If I could practice in a park without people walking around...and I had about 100 yards.....I could practice quite nicely. Put cones out at 40-60-80-100 yards (like I do on the practice ground at the course)......and the difference would be?? So practicing on the "practice field" is useless as well? I think not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I could practice in a park without people walking around...and I had about 100 yards.....I could practice quite nicely. Put cones out at 40-60-80-100 yards (like I do on the practice ground at the course)......and the difference would be?? So practicing on the "practice field" is useless as well? I think not.

For me that's the crux. Doing it safely without anyone around especially dog walkers and the dog off the lead picking up the balls. Playing a devils advocare, what happens if Fido then swallows said ball or bites a chunk out and breaks a tooth/swallows it. I imagine Fido's owner would look to offset hefty vets bills via a claim for negligence for hitting balls in a public space, more so if there is a by-law prohibiting golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What length is the grass on a park? The ones around me (and there's a couple) are longer than the fringe rough! And the surface is seriously soggy! So if that's what you want to practice, fine, but it's pretty useless for most of the conditions on a golf course!
Practicing on a practice area of a golf course is, hopefully, rather different, as it has, generally/hopefully been prepared for golf practice!
If you can't tell the difference, then there's no point continuing this discussion!

D

Deleted member 1147

Seems he’s too good to practice off normal, unprepared grass. Only the finest first cut will do!
He must be an amazing player ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To put this entire thread into perspective...Here's the latest (daily) stats on the virus spread...
Further 17,555 cases and 498 deaths in the UK.
I'm not a fan of BoJo by ant stretch of the imagination, but his 'Stop the Virus; protect the NHS...' speil should surely be the driving factor in all our current thinking!

Mandofred

Visit site
For me that's the crux. Doing it safely without anyone around especially dog walkers and the dog off the lead picking up the balls. Playing a devils advocare, what happens if Fido then swallows said ball or bites a chunk out and breaks a tooth/swallows it. I imagine Fido's owner would look to offset hefty vets bills via a claim for negligence for hitting balls in a public space, more so if there is a by-law prohibiting golf
Oh jeez.....do you leave the house? It's dangerous out there. It's at this point you usually recommend somebody takes lessons from the pro.... When I first came to the UK back in 1980 I thought it was great that the safety nuts hadn't gotten here. There would be a sign on the cliff edge saying "watch your step....it's dangerous" and anybody but an idiot would take that into consideration and NOT stand on the cliff edge. You are just......nuts. Should I put extra roofing support construction in...in case an alien lands on it? I wouldn't want it to be my fault that the spacecraft fell to the ground. Safety.....I wouldn't hit a ball in a field if there were people who could be hit.....oh....it's the same on the golf course. Don't hit until the people in front of you (and for the people who are REALLY bad...anywhere) are out of range.