My own private course...kind of

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Loving the enthusiasm but I'd be careful. Only takes one person to dislike you hitting balls and reporting it to the council and it could be a problem. Why not contact them, see who owns the land, and why it was closed. Not wanting to put a downer on it but so many people looking to stop anyone having fun you need to wary

What’s the worst that could happen? He gets asked to stop? I’d say that’s more likely to happen if he seeks some kind of permission rather than just carrying on doing what he’s doing.

I think this is great, well done OP!

Knc1978

Visit site
Perhaps - if its private land - you could do a deal with the owner and for a peppercorn rent cut/mow yourself a few holes and Tees. You might get a few mates to 'chip' in!

South Gloucestershire Council closed the course through lack of use, but in 2015/2016 the council left 8 holes for ppl to use as an informal golf pratice area rather than ppl using parks, so you should be fine

Knc1978

Visit site
What’s the worst that could happen? He gets asked to stop? I’d say that’s more likely to happen if he seeks some kind of permission rather than just carrying on doing what he’s doing.

I think this is great, well done OP!

South Gloucestershire Council closed the course through lack of use, but in 2015/2016 the council left 8 holes for ppl to use as an informal golf pratice area rather than ppl using parks, so you should be fine

PrimroseandBlue

Visit site
If anyone is up in Manchester, the old William Wroe golf course in Flixton hasn't been repurposed and is just a large space of common land. But the bunkers etc are all still there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There used to be a short nine hole course about 15 minutes walk from my house. That closed down just over a year ago. Obviously it's all overgrown now, but it still hasn't been repurposed for anything. Never thought of jumping in there and hitting balls around. :mmm:
Nearly three years later and they still haven't done anything with this land. It's a massive shame, would have been amazing to have it in walking distance last year when working from home. I don't think I could walk on and chip my way round the course now, it must be knee-high!