My own private course...kind of

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
So I've lived where I have for roughly 3 years, which is, coincidentally about the exact same time ago that I gave up golf as 'too hard and not enough time to get better".....

When we first went to view the house I noticed from the satellite imaging that there was clearly a little pitch and putt golf course 30 seconds from my front door. 'Result!' I proclaimed - as at this point I had no intention to give up trying to get good enough to play - only to find that when we viewed the house, the course had clearly been closed for many years as there were no greens.

Or holes.

Or golfers.

So in the three years that we've been here, remarkably I've never really ventured down there. It's used mainly by dog walkers and as it's on a cul de sac, and we're right at the end, we're always going the other way.

Well I got out there tonight with a pitching wedge and 3 balls, expecting to find that there was nowhere I could really safely hit a ball about....only to find the place utterly deserted save for the occasional dog walker.

30 degrees, beautiful sunshine, clear skies, and here I am almost alone in an absolutely massive 'abandoned' golf course. There might be no holes and no greens, but what a great place to have on my doorstep.

Going back 3-4 years when I tried to get into golf, I lived in a third floor flat, 30 mins away from the nearest place I could practice. Working long hours it was always likely to be the case that I didn't get out anywhere near as much as I'd hope to.

But now to be able to come home from work and 5 minutes later be hitting balls around in this place is amazing. I'm so glad I had the urge to get back into it, as I want to make it a lifetime pursuit now.

e131a8a9fbec7534e56725ccfca52770.jpg

8887aead86f8d0876f2ed905ad0a8dff.jpg

41964f2f22bfc8a0a6fbc6e61bfd0cf0.jpg

8420dd1dee60485459ea396ea6a77737.jpg

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perhaps - if its private land - you could do a deal with the owner and for a peppercorn rent cut/mow yourself a few holes and Tees. You might get a few mates to 'chip' in!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Ah ... most golfers I know don't like putting anyway, so who needs greens. If you want fixed "holes" as targets, just get a few old buckets and bury them at strategic places. And voilá: you have a pitch no putt course :D

No, seriously, the place looks great. If I had something like this close to home, I'd spend all my evenings there. Actually, I just stalked out a big meadow a few days ago, trying to decide if I could use it for practice and I think I'll give it a try this weekend.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may have 'closed' because it was built without planning permission or if on public land it has been banned by the local council on health and safety grounds.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
It was (still is) council owned land. I’m presuming it closed - like most things these days - because it cost too much to run relative to the income it generated (if any?)

Either way, I love it!

I lost all 3 balls I took out yesterday, but was thrilled because I lost them because I was hitting much better than I expected! :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There used to be a short nine hole course about 15 minutes walk from my house. That closed down just over a year ago. Obviously it's all overgrown now, but it still hasn't been repurposed for anything. Never thought of jumping in there and hitting balls around. :mmm:

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah this is nice because the grass is still kept reasonably short by the council as it gets a fair bit of use as an open space. But it’s so big for the number of people using it. Last night when it was a beautiful day I had 150 yard stretches where I couldn’t even see another person

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looks great. When I was i my early teens I set out a little 4 hole course in the private school playing fields across the road from home. long jump and High jump sand pits were bunkers for one green; a nice big tree provided a challenge for the approach to another...and I didn't hack up the cricket square (as I was a good boy).

And another time my brother and I set out a few holes in the machair and amongst sand dunes on the west coast of Tiree. Proper quite long holes. Magic.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
25 degrees, clear skies, beautiful morning and once again had free run of the place, with only the occasional dog walker/drug addict/dogger to be seen (only kidding, there were no dog walkers)

And for the first time in 3 since I first got out there I came back with the same number of balls I went out with :D

980ec00c0ce5b46117b3c559f650f371.jpg

0392d15a4bca6cefdb23ae76f23706df.jpg

548f82256386665d67a2b46f28494444.jpg

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fellow Bristolian here.

Is that Warmley Pitch and Putt?

That’s the only council owned course I can think of!

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spent many an hour there as a youngster!

Dad used to drop my brother and I off with a £10 note. That was admission for two, two cans of Rio and two Mars Bars.

As well as a days entertainment!

I drive past it now and again and do wonder whats currently there.

Now I know!

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Spent many an hour there as a youngster!

Dad used to drop my brother and I off with a £10 note. That was admission for two, two cans of Rio and two Mars Bars.

As well as a days entertainment!

I drive past it now and again and do wonder whats currently there.

Now I know!

Haha, Rio, now you’re taking me back!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was (still is) council owned land. I’m presuming it closed - like most things these days - because it cost too much to run relative to the income it generated (if any?)

Either way, I love it!

I lost all 3 balls I took out yesterday, but was thrilled because I lost them because I was hitting much better than I expected! :D

Loving the enthusiasm but I'd be careful. Only takes one person to dislike you hitting balls and reporting it to the council and it could be a problem. Why not contact them, see who owns the land, and why it was closed. Not wanting to put a downer on it but so many people looking to stop anyone having fun you need to wary

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Loving the enthusiasm but I'd be careful. Only takes one person to dislike you hitting balls and reporting it to the council and it could be a problem. Why not contact them, see who owns the land, and why it was closed. Not wanting to put a downer on it but so many people looking to stop anyone having fun you need to wary

I asked South Glos council for a new green box 6 weeks ago and am still waiting so can’t imagine they’d be too quick to follow up on any curtain twitchers! But I know what you mean.

For that reason, I’m always sure to find the quietest part of the ‘park’ that I can, well away from anyone else using the space.

To be honest I think people would be more bothered by the groups of yoofs smoking pot and effing and jeffing than me, but luckily there’s plenty of pockets that are well away from anyone’s property!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to hit balls quite regularly in the park next to me in Liverpool. It was massive but quite busy. I'd take a wedge and 7 iron.

Find a spot that had a safe clearance and work away. Occasionally dog walkers would come strolling into my 'range'. I'd have to take a time out and wait for them to clear off. I could tell some did this on purpose.

If you don't take any chances and are aware of passers by, you should be fine.