Is this a permissible form of practice during lockdown?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Visit site
As someone who has to look after a football field. I love nothing more than having to fill and seed areas where people have been taking divots whilst practicing golf.
It's a fair point, but you don't usually get divots with a driver. Yes, he may have been using irons as well, I get it!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does it say specifically you can’t then?
Effectively, absolutely!
It specifies the exceptions to the general 'stay at home' requirement and practicing (or any form of participation in) Golf isn't one of them!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just can’t believe he could hit a full driver and keep it in a football pitch, was it lengths or widths?...needs some S&C work or a better fitting ?
Several pitches side by side I assume.
Most are like this for maintenance purposes.
Very rare to have just one pitch now.

DCB

Visit site
Can we please keep things civil. Everyone is affected to some extent or other during these times but there is no need to resort to personal insults.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Effectively, absolutely!
It specifies the exceptions to the general 'stay at home' requirement and practicing (or any form of participation in) Golf isn't one of them!
Seems silly that someone can go jogging around this course in their bubble. ( sport)
But it can’t be used for the very purpose it was built by one person alone.
But rules are rules and you can’t play .
Seen a guy this morning chipping onto a green at my local muni.
I was only walking past .

D

Deleted member 1147

Seems silly that someone can go jogging around this course in their bubble. ( sport)
But it can’t be used for the very purpose it was built by one person alone.
But rules are rules and you can’t play .
Seen a guy this morning chipping onto a green at my local muni.
I was only walking past .

To the next tee ?
;)

Swango1980

Visit site
1. There was no one else there.
2. It's not designated for dog walkers to take their dogs for a sh one T and a slash but they do. Do you condem them? No I'll bet you don't coz their lovely cuddley things eh?
3. Lockdown rules?????? Get lost (stronger though)! If you can work from home then do so. Have you seen the traffic in the morning. No one where my wife works has been told to work from home. So the COMPANY are breaking the rules and loads of other beside!!!! Do you condem them? No you wouldn't!!!!
4. I am in a massive field with no one within 200 yards of me. How is that a danger to anyone???

Get lost (stronger) you complete and utter none oxy. A very apt name.

The whole thing is utterly ridiculous and there are some complete idiots on here who really should get a flamin' life and stop having a go at anything and anyone who doesn't match up to their incredibly galactically stupid views on life.

Not the biggest hitter with your new driver / shaft ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It does. Also rules do not specify what permissible exercise is this time round and golf being a walking activity could be classed as exercise.

The act of golf is not banned, just golf courses are closed and can’t be open to the public.
I thought it was all amateur sport?

Swango1980

Visit site
I’ve not read that but if that’s the case would still be permissible on your own, in a field, nonchalantly hitting balls as you aren’t competing against anyone which is what defines a sport.
If that is the case, I wonder why they bothered closing golf clubs at all. Could have just restricted it to 1 balls

D

Deleted member 18588

I thought it was all amateur sport?
Then surely running/jogging would also not be permitted but, in fact, is allowed as exercise.

The striking of a golf ball with a golf club in itself is not banned but the usual venues for so doing are not allowed to be open.

If, however, there is the opportunity to practice in a spontaneous environment then that should be permitted under the heading of exercise. Otherwise the ludicrous situation could arise of golfers being prohibited from chipping and pitching in their own back garden.

Obviously any practice should be carefully scrutinised to ensure no danger to others.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then surely running/jogging would also not be permitted but, in fact, is allowed as exercise.

The striking of a golf ball with a golf club in itself is not banned but the usual venues for so doing are not allowed to be open.

If, however, there is the opportunity to practice in a spontaneous environment then that should be permitted under the heading of exercise. Otherwise the ludicrous situation could arise of golfers being prohibited from chipping and pitching in their own back garden.

Obviously any practice should be carefully scrutinised to ensure no danger to others.
Mixed messaging from the gov.
There are not many public places where golf is allowed.
It’s a dangerous game , and best kept on golf courses when they are open.
I deffo heard No amateur sport in one of those briefings.

D

Deleted member 18588

Mixed messaging from the gov.
There are not many public places where golf is allowed.
It’s a dangerous game , and best kept on golf courses when they are open.
I deffo heard No amateur sport in one of those briefings.
But when does exercise become amateur sport and is an individual practising playing sport?

If I were still fit enough and went, on my own, to the football club in our village with a sack of balls to practice free kicks am I exercising or playing amateur sport?

To me, unlike some others on this thread, the guidelines/rules are far from clear.

And I completely agree about the safety considerations.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree that use of such terminology was always prone to generate confusion. Sport is defined as physical activity, often competitive, so arguably the running, walking, kicking a ball in a park (or your own garden) could be deemed outlawed.
However, I think most would accept it was the competitive/organised element that was intended to be stopped, but agree with Swango that arguably 1 balls could have been permitted, but it was no doubt easier to stop all forms of sport where there was a risk that groups could come together, even inadvertently. Guess this was also the reason why golf bodies were lobbying for clarity/change.
I don't see any issue with hitting balls in a safe environment, if such a place could be found.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But when does exercise become amateur sport and is an individual practising playing sport?

If I were still fit enough and went, on my own, to the football club in our village with a sack of balls to practice free kicks am I exercising or playing amateur sport?

To me, unlike some others on this thread, the guidelines/rules are far from clear.

And I completely agree about the safety considerations.
I don’t really know the answer to that.
Can you play sport on your own?