Is this a penalty?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume he wasn't searching for it.

If the player lifts or deliberately touches his or her ball at rest or causes it to move, the player gets one penalty stroke.

wjemather

Visit site
Playing in our winter competition a player slipped on wet ground with a club in his hand which accidentally moved his ball would this result in a penalty?

It wasn’t Gerrard btw ?
Yes. See Rule 9.4b.
If a player lifts or deliberately touches their ball at rest, or causes their ball to move, the ball must be replaced and a one stroke penalty applied, unless:
  • the ball is on the tee (and as such, is not in play and no stroke has been made)
  • the ball is on the putting green (rule 13.1d)
  • the ball was accidentally moved while searching for it
  • the ball was moved as allowed by a rule
  • the ball was moved while taking reasonable actions under certain rules (e.g. removing a movable obstruction)

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
The above only applies when putting a ball into play from the tee.
Ah, i thought the rule had changed and it was no penalty wherever.

In a social game a few weeks ago I hit the ball with a practice swing (chip) just off the green. My partners and I all agreed no penalty, but sounds like we were wrong.

salfordlad

Visit site
Playing in our winter competition a player slipped on wet ground with a club in his hand which accidentally moved his ball would this result in a penalty?

It wasn’t Gerrard btw ?
There is NO automatic correct answer to this question. You need to look closely at and apply Rule 9.4b. If the accidental movement occurred while the player was undertaking any of the actions that are identified in the exceptions to that rule - including any accidental movement on the putting green or in the teeing area - then replace ball and continue no penalty. Otherwise, one stroke penalty and ball must be replaced before continuing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is NO automatic correct answer to this question. You need to look closely at and apply Rule 9.4b. If the accidental movement occurred while the player was undertaking any of the actions that are identified in the exceptions to that rule - including any accidental movement on the putting green or in the teeing area - then replace ball and continue no penalty. Otherwise, one stroke penalty and ball must be replaced before continuing.
Doesn't post #4 already say that?