Is there anyone inspired by Moe Norman swing?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Cant remember where i read it, but there was a story about Moe Norman that i thought was incredible.

He's on the 18th green of the final round and had 3 putts to win the tournament. He sets up to putt, but turns 180 degrees and knocks it into the bunker to the gasps of the crowd. He then strolls into the bunker, knocks it stiff and holes the putt to win it anyway. Cant remember his exact words, but when asked about it after the event he pretty much shrugged and said he wanted to see if he could do it.
I'd not heard that one.

Two Moe Norman stories I like are:

1. Caddy tells him "this hole is a driver and nine iron", so Moe tees off with the 9 iron then hits driver off the deck onto the green.

2. Moe pulls out his driver on the tee.
Caddy: "you can't carry the stream".
Moe: "I'm going across the bridge" - and he did.

freshcat

Hacker
Visit site
Ive been fascinated by Moe since I started playing golf. To any golf lover who wants a great Christmas present I would recommend the book -The feeling of greatness the Moe Norman story. Its also in the process of being made into a film.

There is a demo real for the film here

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a very good camera angle to view a swing, cant say I'm keen on what I can see. Doesn't look all that dynamic and looks like you are swing out to in considerably. I see your using xx10 irons and maruman woods, your keen on the jap stuff then ?

efdeel

Visit site
Not a very good camera angle to view a swing, cant say I'm keen on what I can see. Doesn't look all that dynamic and looks like you are swing out to in considerably. I see your using xx10 irons and maruman woods, your keen on the jap stuff then ?

Yup I aware that was bad camera angle, I was forget to bring my tripod. That was just a camera phone on the top of my bag.

I dont practice and play golf very often, but I would hit any club from many brand that I can try (friend's or proshop's clubs). And as long I can remember jap clubs were feel better at impact and more forgiving. Jap clubs might not make better score but feel better at impact.

My wish list (if I have deep pocket) :) :
Driver : Maruman Gold (feel nice at impact, forgiving, and great distance).....I was tried
Wood : Maruman Shuttle i4000x (feel soft at impact, forgiving)........I was tried

Iron : maybe Yamaha's club.....not tried lately
Wedge : none yet
Putter : EVNROLL or Scotty (I never tried them yet)

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’d imagine it would be quite difficult for an amateur to use effectively. I used to have quite a single plane driver swing which my coach has just corrected as I’ve sliced my driver massively for about 6 years and I said the club was basically redundant in my bag. I also read an article a while back talking about how swings had changed with the improvement of club technology so it makes me wonder if it would really be effective with today’s tech.

Looking at you tube there seems to be plenty of videos selling services and products off the back of his technique. I’d suggest finding a good coach. My new coach has really simplified my swing and made me understand why I need to do certain things to achieve certain outcomes. No trackan or other tech except an iPad for video recording and some basic self made apparatus to get his point across.

Still. If you found it works for you and you get around with great enjoyment then happy days ?

efdeel

Visit site
I’d imagine it would be quite difficult for an amateur to use effectively. I used to have quite a single plane driver swing which my coach has just corrected as I’ve sliced my driver massively for about 6 years and I said the club was basically redundant in my bag. I also read an article a while back talking about how swings had changed with the improvement of club technology so it makes me wonder if it would really be effective with today’s tech.

Looking at you tube there seems to be plenty of videos selling services and products off the back of his technique. I’d suggest finding a good coach. My new coach has really simplified my swing and made me understand why I need to do certain things to achieve certain outcomes. No trackan or other tech except an iPad for video recording and some basic self made apparatus to get his point across.

Still. If you found it works for you and you get around with great enjoyment then happy days ?

Agree 100%,......for most people, get a good coach would be the most effective way to get good score in shorter time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is only me:

maybe I am quite rare golfer?
I am obsessed to find my own swing,...but first I have to have some objective, some swing to follow. I've tried Count Yogi swing, I tried Moe Norman swing, I've tried ordinary swing.

Nothing wrong with Moe Norman swing, nothing wrong with Bryson Dechambeau swing, nothing wrong with Ben Hogan swing. Nothing wrong with Tiger Wood swing. People can inspired by any of them.

Correct me, I think most professional player swing are similar with Ben Hogan swing.
Note: Moe Norman and Ben Hogan are life in same era, they once talk each other on a driving range. And Ben Hogan swing is very similar to most professional player today. So either Moe or Hogan swing can be same effective with today tech.

Why I inspired by Moe? my answer: why not?

One again, this is only me :)........and yes, it is difficult journey

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Agree 100%,......for most people, get a good coach would be the most effective way to get good score in shorter time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is only me:

maybe I am quite rare golfer?
I am obsessed to find my own swing,...but first I have to have some objective, some swing to follow. I've tried Count Yogi swing, I tried Moe Norman swing, I've tried ordinary swing.

Nothing wrong with Moe Norman swing, nothing wrong with Bryson Dechambeau swing, nothing wrong with Ben Hogan swing. Nothing wrong with Tiger Wood swing. People can inspired by any of them.

Correct me, I think most professional player swing are similar with Ben Hogan swing.
Note: Moe Norman and Ben Hogan are life in same era, they once talk each other on a driving range. And Ben Hogan swing is very similar to most professional player today. So either Moe or Hogan swing can be same effective with today tech.

Why I inspired by Moe? my answer: why not?

One again, this is only me :)........and yes, it is difficult journey
Yep. Gotta find something in this game.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
One thing I noticed watching this video is the only one who had any success with this or was any good from this list was Moe Norman. It worked for him but not everyone is Moe Norman.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love Moe Norman and all his quirkiness, he's certainly got a better swing than this double Olympic gold medallist,

efdeel

Visit site
I didn't know, this man swing just like Moe, I was surprised.

Greg Lavern definitely should be no 1 in the list.

Next time I should add at least 3 golfer more:
Greg Lavern
SinglePlane Discovery
Charles Calhoun

Last edited: