Is the cost of joining a club worth it?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ultimately it boils down to how much you play as to whether it’s going to be worth it.

Before family I played 2-3 times a week would also head to the course (5 mins down the road) for random after work golf even if it were just 5/6 holes and a beer.

When our daughter arrived I kept membership for a year but my golf went down to once/twice a month and I just couldn’t justify the cost per round. The club aren’t very forward thinking and there was no flexible membership so I left.

I joined another club who offered flexible membership and for £250 per year I get competition golf and a handicap. Was a no brainer really and will hopefully go back to full membership once time allows.

Siolag

Visit site
I’ve joined a club this year after only playing a few rounds. At the time I joined I was worried I may not get value, but this week I’ve been out tonight for 12 holes, will do at least that again Thursday and Friday, medal Saturday and practice Sunday with my Fiancé. Ok, I’m lucky I have time for all of this, but having the course there just provides that incentive to get down and hit a few balls.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
OK, at the risk of sounding like a utter fool - what is a swindle?
A lot of clubs have regular times where people meet up and usually play some sort of competition, but not an official club comp. So can be a bit more social and a good way of meeting people. Also known as roll-ups.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
For me, the membership is £600 a year and I believe the visitors green fee is £25 approx (could be wrong as never paid it) so 2 rounds a month and it's worth it. Then you also have the practice area, clubhouse and a pro I can ask when I need things. No brainer really

Visit site
I think this is one of the things I am thinking - I have plenty of time to play, but rarely at the time when my limited circle of fellow golfers are available, hence I don't play enough at present. Mind you, I'm ot sure that the act of joining a club automatically means I'll have that many more options if I don't know anyone!

I guess in part it is do you want to play more than when your friends are available
I would imagine that if you play more often, then you will generally improve (and that may increase your enjoyment) and fun when playing with closer friends
....but if you are set up that you only play with current golfing mates at their most suitable time then that avenue is limited

As others have said cost wise a pay and play membership may allow more flexibility at a lower start-up cost - worth thinking about
Alternatively a membership at affordable rates may bring wider opportunities to play and make more playing partners at times more suitable to you

RE options and not knowing anyone
I joined here in Italy (after having effectively pay & play visitor rights for a few months) knowing no-one and with relatively basic spoken Italian - in part so i could have more flexibility about when i played (e.g. weekends) though also to get a handicap etc
The reality was that fairly soon I was playing with whoever was around in bounce games and now I only play in comps (1/2 times a week when I'm here) and my play is going in the right direction...faster than my handicap:confused:

I've learned some interesting Italian as well :p

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK, at the risk of sounding like a utter fool - what is a swindle?
Mine is a group of men that varies between 8 and 20, where we put a ball in the hat and just draw them out to see who we are grouped with. Some larger swindles may also have a different handicap to the official club hip as its generally unpressured golf where most do better than the monthly medals.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think it boils down to more than just the cost per round. It depends on what you want from golf and how you like to play. Do you want to get an official handicap? Would you like to play in comps regularly? A good golf club also normally is a nice place to just spend time at and have a beer and a chat with friends. Also, from my own experience, you will play golf much more often if you can just drop by at any time. Depending on the course, you can also just play 9 holes or even just 6 if you don't have time for a full round. You might also have a driving range and other practice facilities available. So I would say, even if the cost per round isn't lower than it would be if you play regularly for green fee, it is definitely worth it.

On the other hand, if you travel a lot or want to play many different courses, then a membership might not be for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. For me its a no brainer. My club has competitions in the week and at weekends so caters for those looking to play competitive golf and get their handicap down. Perhaps more importantly there are a number of roll up groups playing most days including weekends where you rock up put a ball in the bag, get drawn and go out. These are by far the best way to meet people and get a foot in the ground and a regular game. we also do a buddy scheme for new members where an established member takes a newbie under their wing. shows them life at the club for a month, gets them seen and known and is on hand after that for any questions. As I also use the club to practice it makes sense to be a member. However whether the OP can afford to join (with potential joining fee too) is a personal decision

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
As has been said, it will depend how much you play. I'm fortunate that both my wife and our son both play, I am usually on the course both Saturday and Sunday at some point, and also Tuesday and Friday evenings through the summer, so for me it is definitely a plus being a member as even on the cheap local pay and plays, I'd be spending circa £100 a week to play the same amount of golf.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playmore golf is a viable option.

£325 plus England golfs fee (£15) gives you 120 pts. Average of 4-6 pts a social round. 6-9 a competition round. Can’t play in board comps tho.

Plus they have loads of away courses you can use your points on.

Personally I only play in qualifiers, so never the winter, and always have points carried over at the end of the year.

I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re playing more than once a week. Points would soon run out

DCB

Visit site
As far as finances are concerned, only you can decide that. You say you work shifts, I used to work with guys who played regularly after a night shift during the summer months. Came off shift, 1iholes, breakfast in the clubhouse then home to bed by 10am.

In any club you will certainly make new friends and certainly play more often than you expect to play. There is always the chance to play a quick 9 at some stage of the day ....

Hope you get sorted out 😁

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Playmore golf is a viable option.

£325 plus England golfs fee (£15) gives you 120 pts. Average of 4-6 pts a social round. 6-9 a competition round. Can’t play in board comps tho.

Plus they have loads of away courses you can use your points on.

Personally I only play in qualifiers, so never the winter, and always have points carried over at the end of the year.

I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re playing more than once a week. Points would soon run out
I looked at PlayMore Golf too, but have decided against it.

I'm just getting back into golf, and only playing monthly at the minute, but thinking I'll play regularly next year.

I think I'll join somewhere, few options locally, but looking at a 9 hole membership. Can get one for £375, can then work out If I'm going to play regularly, and then maybe look at somewhere else in 2020.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think it boils down to more than just the cost per round. It depends on what you want from golf and how you like to play. Do you want to get an official handicap? Would you like to play in comps regularly? A good golf club also normally is a nice place to just spend time at and have a beer and a chat with friends. Also, from my own experience, you will play golf much more often if you can just drop by at any time. Depending on the course, you can also just play 9 holes or even just 6 if you don't have time for a full round. You might also have a driving range and other practice facilities available. So I would say, even if the cost per round isn't lower than it would be if you play regularly for green fee, it is definitely worth it.

On the other hand, if you travel a lot or want to play many different courses, then a membership might not be for you.
Here is the correct answer to your question Grizzly (y)

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started playing golf again last year after a twenty year hiatus; I enjoyed the game when I was young, but for various reasons never picked it up again after University. Then I agreed to take part in a charity day with some mates, and it sort of escalated from there. I'm not great at it - the mobile phone app that I use tells me I'm now down to a 26 handicap, which made me feel much happier than it really ought to - but I reckon I can improve. My problem is, I don't know if I'm deluded in that belief, and at present my circle of golfing acquaintances and working shifts limits me to a couple of rounds a month. Is joining a club, even with the hefty fees, the way forward?

If you want to play "prime time" Saturday or Sunday morning golf then membership is almost essential .

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think it's just a daft name for a bunch of old men meeting up for a regular game and putting a bit of money on it.
Why old men? The swindle I play in ranges from low 20's upwards.