Is the cost of joining a club worth it?

Grizzly

Visit site
I started playing golf again last year after a twenty year hiatus; I enjoyed the game when I was young, but for various reasons never picked it up again after University. Then I agreed to take part in a charity day with some mates, and it sort of escalated from there. I'm not great at it - the mobile phone app that I use tells me I'm now down to a 26 handicap, which made me feel much happier than it really ought to - but I reckon I can improve. My problem is, I don't know if I'm deluded in that belief, and at present my circle of golfing acquaintances and working shifts limits me to a couple of rounds a month. Is joining a club, even with the hefty fees, the way forward?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only you can justify the cost. A membership is expensive if you’re only playing a couple of rounds per month.

I like competitions and occasionally playing with the handicap team. Knowing I have a guaranteed game on a Saturday morning and somewhere to occasionally play during the week makes it worth it for me. No way would I pay out if I was only going to play 30 times a year though.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome!

I guess the defining factor may be the cost. Down here in the deep south east an annual membership, if there's no discount, is well over £1k so 24 rounds would be pretty expensive per game but other areas in the UK can be very reasonable. The chances are though, if you join a club you may, if circumstances allow, be able to get out more often as well as meet a wider range of potential playing mates

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Marginal for me, but the attraction of 'belonging' somewhere - and the other benefits - meant the I have joined a club - which I am a fan of in any case - again.

However, happy to 'forego' the 'free' round occasionally and play elsewhere, purely for a bit of variety!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Twice a month and potentially less in the winter , plus there are always other commitments, id say no. Never been a better time to be a nomad with tons of deals out there and golf for as little as a tenner

D

Deleted member 25172

Joining a club is the best decision I've made, but then again I play pretty much every single week of the year, so it made financial sense anyway. But the best thing has been to get to know so many more people and always know I have a game if my mates isn't available. It's also great to be able to play in competitions as the competitive side is something I've missed since giving up football.

Grizzly

Visit site
Joining a club is the best decision I've made, but then again I play pretty much every single week of the year, so it made financial sense anyway. But the best thing has been to get to know so many more people and always know I have a game if my mates isn't available. It's also great to be able to play in competitions as the competitive side is something I've missed since giving up football.

I think this is one of the things I am thinking - I have plenty of time to play, but rarely at the time when my limited circle of fellow golfers are available, hence I don't play enough at present. Mind you, I'm ot sure that the act of joining a club automatically means I'll have that many more options if I don't know anyone!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think this is one of the things I am thinking - I have plenty of time to play, but rarely at the time when my limited circle of fellow golfers are available, hence I don't play enough at present. Mind you, I'm ot sure that the act of joining a club automatically means I'll have that many more options if I don't know anyone!
I guess it's different for everyone but one of the attractions for me is that I can just wander up when it suits and play a few holes on my own as well as playing with other people.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you continue only playing a couple of rounds a month, then no I don't believe a golf membership would be worth it. Well not unless you find an exceptionally cheap one, most of the ones around me are like a grand. My membership is £100 a year plus paying green fees each time I play, so if you can find something like that I'm sure that would be ideal for you.

D

Deleted member 25172

I didn't know a single person at the club I joined. First thing I did was to rock up at the Saturday Swindle, and from there it wasn't hard to get to know people. Now I alternate between playing in the swindle and in a group of about 10 others, or with my mates whenever we can. If you got the time and aren't a hermit, then go for it. :)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's worked for me for over 20 years now. Met so many people and had lots of great trips, matches and memories as a result. But I have always been flexible enough to get more than value for money out of of my membership.

However I completely appreciate that if cost and availability are the two main criteria, then the club membership model doesn't work for everyone.

At the end of the day it's horses for (golf) courses.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if you want to play regularly and get a handicap/play competitions, joining a club is the way to go.

But if you only play once in a while it might not be worth it if you are on a budget

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's the thing - joining a club has many different options, and carries even more inferences!

I had the same category of membership as that represented by Orikoru for 27 years; fixed cost was nominal and the only other real consideration was that I tended to play my golf on the course I was associated with (in competitions mainly) when I might have wished to play wider. However as I met more people (through playing) and joined the team I played many courses....

Now I have a more normal membership, taken out when I retired, which includes unlimited golf etc. I quickly met huge numbers of people and played a huge amount of golf (which all makes the membership equation work!).

I'm not a great believer in the expectation that the joining will change the amount of golf you play; dipping a toe in the water with a pay and play membership makes huge sense.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it's worth it. My subs are now £1165, and I play between 60 and 70 times a year. Fortunately my club doesnt do tee time bookings, its roll up when you want and wait your turn.
I have made some good friends as a result of my membership across a wide spectrum of backgrounds, play in a nice swindle group regularly but can always get a game if not swindle time.
Yes, it's definately worth it for me:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Orikoru

Financially it might be worth finding a club that offers flexiplay membership . You pay a small annual fee which gets you membership and therefore a handicap and opportunity for things like a County Card and then you pay each time you play.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
You need to think about what you wish to gain from it, and what kind of person you are.
Are you interested in playing with other golfers outside your current circle?
Are you okay playing solo?
Are you just interested in social golf, or are you keen on improving?

FWIW I have joined a couple of clubs knowing no-one. Also the most recent I'd say the first couple of years I was behind financially if looking at 18 hole green fees, but the option to play a few holes when the chance came made it worthwhile.
As others, don't assume there will be just one membership choice these days.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Only you can justify the cost. A membership is expensive if you’re only playing a couple of rounds per month.

I like competitions and occasionally playing with the handicap team. Knowing I have a guaranteed game on a Saturday morning and somewhere to occasionally play during the week makes it worth it for me. No way would I pay out if I was only going to play 30 times a year though.

30 times a year at an average green fee of £30 plus travel etc to other course surely makes a membership a no brainer? £900 plus travel!

Get cheaper memberships.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a look and see if any local clubs offer lifestyle memberships. This is where you pay a lower fee but then pay an amount each round, eg £200 fee and £10 per round.

Similarly Playmore memberships may suit. Google that one, it's a little more complicated to explain but simple once you understand it.

Both of the above offer a good entry into golf membership at a cheaper price.