Is St Andrews Old Course really that good?

Is the Old Course really that good?

• Yes, it deserves to be at number 3 in the Top 100

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Yes, it's the best in St Andrews but maybe not number 3 in UK

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • No, it should be much further down the Top 100

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • No, it's not even the best course in St Andrews

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

But do you want to play it because it is a really great course or do you want to play it because of the history/reputation and because it's the Home of Golf?

Would want to play it because it's The Old Course

D

Deleted Member 1156

But do you want to play it because it is a really great course or do you want to play it because of the history/reputation and because it's the Home of Golf?

At this moment in time for me it's the latter because I haven't played it. After I play it I'll be able to tell you if I think it's a great course :)

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm on mobile format so had a quick look at the results - seems majority agree with the ranking

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

You seem to want to only take onboard part of the criteria for what makes it great, whilst leaving out part of the 'package.' As a course, without the history, I agree it isn't stunning. But the sum of its parts... anyway, I think the current results give a fair indication. Majority rules...

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rankings give a position on various aspects as shown in the mag. You cannot beat the expierience IMO. You may pick some holes out as not to your liking or weak but as an all round package I can't disagree with the majority and think it deserves it's position.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i would luv to play it!. Knowing me the whole home of golf will take hold and the thought of walking in famous footsteps will result in a great day regardless of how i play!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You seem to want to only take onboard part of the criteria for what makes it great, whilst leaving out part of the 'package.' As a course, without the history, I agree it isn't stunning. But the sum of its parts... anyway, I think the current results give a fair indication. Majority rules...

Happy to accept that as an experience it's well worth doing and that the history and aura of the place make it special. Absolutely not denying that. My point is that as a course it's not great. Very few special or outstanding holes and lots of nothing holes. But that's just my opinion.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The rankings give a position on various aspects as shown in the mag. You cannot beat the expierience IMO. You may pick some holes out as not to your liking or weak but as an all round package I can't disagree with the majority and think it deserves it's position.

Looking at the criteria the courses are ranked on.....
1) Quality of test and design
2) Condition and Presentation
3) Visual Appeal
4) Facilities
5) Experience

I am happy to accept that as an experience the Old Course would rank higher than the Jubilee or New Courses. As far as Condition/Presentation, Visual Appeal and Facilities I would expect them to be fairly equal. In terms of Quality of Test and Design I would say that the other two would rank higher. And yet the New Course is down at 67 in the rankings and the Jubilee course is nowhere to be seen.

Maybe it should be renamed "The UK&I Top 100 Golf Experiences" rather than best courses.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My family booked Gleneagles for my 60th and I truly loved it there but hid said she had to choose that or St Andrews and she went for where the Ryder Cup was to be played and I truly loved that and the Kings Course ...... But a part of me still wishes it were St Andrews!

I'm playing the Grove this Wednesday for the 1st time and it might not be a top 10 course but I was there to see Tiger hit that 3 wood into the 18th there and have wanted to play it ever since - don't be too critical of it and spoil my anticipation!

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Me and the wife are due to play it in April (as well as the new and castle) and will share my thoughts of it then!

It nay not be the hardest or good looking course but we are more looking forward to the whole package of playing a legendary venue!

i will be bricking it on the 1st tee and trying not to make a fool of my self when I drive off, read that some people are that nervous they can't even put the ball on their tee peg :)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Grove for me feels manufactured and fake - trying to create something that it will never be

What, a new golf course?

As I mentioned in another post I don't get the dislike for a course like The Grove as comments above just seems to reinforce the elitism and snobbery of golfers by saying it is 'fake' and manufactured. How do you think any golf course came into being if they were not 'manufactured' at some time, they planted some magic beans and next day, hey presto, a golf course appeared?

I get that it does not have 100 years of tradition, a winners board going back to 1873 and old boys frequenting the bar area, but there is room for courses other than that if they are done well. Indeed you could argue there are far too many courses trying to trade on their tradition and reputation when they should concentrate more on the customer/member experience and conditioning of the greens and fairways. As the greens, fairways, welcome, pro shop, conditioning of the course and experience I had at The Grove felt pretty real to me and not fake.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The aura, the history, the experience. Everyone's views of a course are subjective, so some might like the course. I can't say it is a good course or a bad course as I have never played it

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But the history and the standard is part of the course - you can't "ignore it" or "take it away"

You can't ignore the road hole bunker

You can't take away the bridge or the hotel or the double greens or the hollow before the 18th or the ditch in front of first - it's all part of the course and the make up of it.

Your an eejit ... You must be the only golfer on the planet that calls the Valley of Sin a hollow.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the criteria the courses are ranked on.....
1) Quality of test and design
2) Condition and Presentation
3) Visual Appeal
4) Facilities
5) Experience

I am happy to accept that as an experience the Old Course would rank higher than the Jubilee or New Courses. As far as Condition/Presentation, Visual Appeal and Facilities I would expect them to be fairly equal. In terms of Quality of Test and Design I would say that the other two would rank higher. And yet the New Course is down at 67 in the rankings and the Jubilee course is nowhere to be seen.

Maybe it should be renamed "The UK&I Top 100 Golf Experiences" rather than best courses.

You sound like me in the fact that you have played it that many times you see it more as a golf course, rather than the home of golf. It is in fantastic condition and I have had the envious pleasure of playing to the last night before they shut it for the open.

The grandstands had been put up, the rough was deep, every where had been cut ready for the pros turning up to start their practice rounds. So I got to feel that course as close to playing the Open there as possible and playing it like that was a round of golf never to be forgotten.

Having played there dozens of times I will sum up the criteria of playing the old course:

Qulaity of test and design 5/10. Multiple shared greens and fairways that get balls from other holes on. Tees close to other greens meaning people having to wait for others to play. A lot of very average holes mixed with excellent ones.

Condition and presentation 10/10. The course always looks good with well maintained bunkers and surrounding areas. Greens always ran true and tee boxes where always good.

Visual appeal 7/10. Some of the views as you are plating towards the town are fantastic. Some great views across the estuary on some holes and the views of the mountains past Dundee look great.

Facilities 4/10. Excellent driving range and over priced Pro shop. All after round facilities are actually supplied by local businesses and have nothing to do with the the Links Trust. No members clubhouse to use like other clubs where you can sit with a beer watching others play the last.

Experience 1000/10. The drive at 17, hells bunker, walking over the Swilken bridge make it an experience to savour that no other course can give. Playing the 18th on a Saturday afternoon with dozens of people watching you is fantastic.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting that no-one is defending it as a good course in it's own right and it is only the history and feel of the place that seems to elevate it to it's current position. If you take away or ignore the history what you are left with is at best a very average golf course.

You say take away the history and aura and its average BUT you can't take away the history and aura, it will always be there and always form part of the experience.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played it about 20 yr ago. It was the last course I played before I took a sabbatical from golf what with the kids "appearing". Anyway it did not rock my boat one bit. If we are on about the course alone, it did nowt for me what so ever.
full of our colonial cousins from across the water whooping and hollering on every hole. Full of course guides rushing you to play shots. Not in a rush to go back. Unless I manage to get it for £30 again because one of the society lads dropped out and I was up there for a holiday.
did not help having to drive back to catch 10.30 ferry to hunters quay (East of Glasgow ) missed it by a minute and had to drive up side of loch lomand and around. Got in at 1.30 am.

interesting to see that 41% don't rate it at all.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My family booked Gleneagles for my 60th and I truly loved it there but hid said she had to choose that or St Andrews and she went for where the Ryder Cup was to be played and I truly loved that and the Kings Course ...... But a part of me still wishes it were St Andrews!

I'm playing the Grove this Wednesday for the 1st time and it might not be a top 10 course but I was there to see Tiger hit that 3 wood into the 18th there and have wanted to play it ever since - don't be too critical of it and spoil my anticipation!

Chris, there's a plaque on the fairway to show where he hit one of the shots from for eagle. Think you'll be surprised how far back it was. I like the Grove and as an experience and the way you're treated by the staff it's one of the best I've been to. The course is nice too but I wouldn't necessarily say it's one I'd have ranked as highly as it came out in the GM list